• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

18 Coach on ECML According to RTT

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpaldingMan

It appears the 16.00 to Aberdeen is operating with 18 coaches according to RTT:
  • 800101 + 801211 to Newcastle
  • 800101 to Aberdeen
is this actually true and has it happened before? Also has it been tested for fitting at platforms enroute?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
  • 800101 to Aberdeen
is this actually true and has it happened before? Also has it been tested for fitting at platforms enroute?
It’s just showing up as 801211 for me (which, for obvious reasons, it can’t be!)

I’m assuming it’s just an incorrect entry

SpaldingMan

It’s just showing up as 801211 for me (which, for obvious reasons, it can’t be!)

I’m assuming it’s just an incorrect entry
Shortly after I posted I noticed it was changed to just 801211 to Newcastle as the unit description and of course 9 carriages. Must have got all mixed up amongst the cancellations at KGX.

D6975

Established Member
Often happens when there's a problem with late running or failure. A new unit gets allocated but it takes a while for the original allocation to get deleted.

Established Member
  • 800101 to Aberdeen
baring in mind Kings Cross can only fit a 10 car set in platforms, that straight away rules out anything more than a 10 operating out of the station.
Realtrain times, as people above mentions, is fed from multiple systems and takes time to feed through.
When set swaps take place, these will show as correct in internal systems, but may, for a short period of time, show as incorrect in external sites such as RTT.

Last edited:

Twingo37175

baring in mind Kings Cross can only fit a 10 car set in platforms, that straight away rules out anything more than a 10 operating out of the station.
Realtrain times, as people above mentions, is fed from multiple systems and takes time to feed through.
When set swaps take place, these will show as correct in internal systems, but may, for a short period of time, show as incorrect in external sites such as RTT.
I think it was that with the disruption yesterday, there were no 800's at the London end and hence the service was started with an 801 (to at least get people moving. From what I saw, the set's were swapped at Darlington not Newcastle with the 14.52 from Aberdeen (the 800) then going back North (as the 16:00 ex the cross) and the 801 back to London. I would suggest a good move from LNER to keep people on the move.

Spartacus

Established Member
I see this asked all the time. It's really quite simple, RTT isn't capable of showing unit swaps properly, so often just shows both units, when they are actually working separate 'legs' of the service.

Established Member
I see this asked all the time. It's really quite simple, RTT isn't capable of showing unit swaps properly, so often just shows both units, when they are actually working separate 'legs' of the service.
It really isn’t that simple.
It is often caused by the internal railway systems been slow.
Genius and trust will often also show 2 units working a portion of a service, as the system is slow to remove one unit when involved in a set swap.

Spartacus

Established Member
really isn’t that simple.
It is often caused by the internal railway systems been slow.
Genius and trust will often also show 2 unit

I can't speak for Genius but I can't ever recall seeing it in TRUST, it's not been the case with any of these types of enquiry I've looked at either.

Established Member
I can't speak for Genius but I can't ever recall seeing it in TRUST, it's not been the case with any of these types of enquiry I've looked at either.
I can assure you it happens in trust. I’ve personally seen it with a 19 car Azuma formation following a set swap from a 9 to a 10 car set.
A quick refresh of genius to force stuff through, and about 5-10 minutes later, trust shows correct.

voyagerdude220

Established Member
I can assure you it happens in trust. I’ve personally seen it with a 19 car Azuma formation following a set swap from a 9 to a 10 car set.
A quick refresh of genius to force stuff through, and about 5-10 minutes later, trust shows correct.
I agree- I've seen Trust occasionally show 2xPendolino sets allocated to the same service at the same time a few hours before the time it was due to run, only for it to be corrected closer to departure time.

Tom

That is incorrect. The only issues it has with this kind of thing are circular services and swaps on them (which ends up creating 54 coach trains...)

Garbage in, garbage out, essentially.

Spartacus

Established Member
That is incorrect. The only issues it has with this kind of thing are circular services and swaps on them (which ends up creating 54 coach trains...)

Garbage in, garbage out, essentially.

It's certainly created the issue with unit swaps on non circular services before.

mangyiscute

Established Member
In case anyone wanted confirmation, I happened to be waiting for a train in Grantham as this train "passed" (it actually called due to the disruption) and I had seen it was saying 18 coaches on RTT so I kept an eye out and it was certainly just 9 coaches - although one thing I have noticed is that every evening an 18 coach GWR train is planned from Hereford to the sidings there at 20:31 - would anyone be able to confirm if this is real?

Twingo37175

In case anyone wanted confirmation, I happened to be waiting for a train in Grantham as this train "passed" (it actually called due to the disruption) and I had seen it was saying 18 coaches on RTT so I kept an eye out and it was certainly just 9 coaches - although one thing I have noticed is that every evening an 18 coach GWR train is planned from Hereford to the sidings there at 20:31 - would anyone be able to confirm if this is real?
Just looked, when you click on the details the 2 nine carriage elements are the same number (and only one has arrived from Paddington). Hence I assume a glitch in the system.....

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Just looked, when you click on the details the 2 nine carriage elements are the same number (and only one has arrived from Paddington). Hence I assume a glitch in the system.....
I think Realtime Trains seems to have a problem with allocations associated with empty stock moves sometimes as this often happens on a daily basis- a particular empty stock move showing as twice it's actual length with the allocations showing the one unit coupled to itself.

On Moderation
I think Realtime Trains seems to have a problem with allocations associated with empty stock moves sometimes as this often happens on a daily basis- a particular empty stock move showing as twice it's actual length with the allocations showing the one unit coupled to itself.
See post #13 above. RTT reflects what comes through on the data feeds. As Tom says, it’s “garbage in, garbage out”.

Status
Not open for further replies.