• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

185 seating beginning to look worn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

pemma

Veteran Member
One thing that people have said in defence of 185 seating is that it's hard wearing. However, I've noticed that some of the seats are beginning to look worn after 5 years in service, in particular those at table seats. While a lot of the 185s now have all seats occupied at off peak times isn't 5 years a bit too soon for the seats starting to look worn?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

asylumxl

Established Member
I think it depends on the amount of usage they see to be honest.

The 222s aren't very old yet they are being fitted with new seat covers, as some of the seats are very worn.

rail-britain

Established Member
Most seats will show reasonable wear and tear between 3 and 8 years old
Lighter and plain colours will tend to show this first
Only those with complete failure will be replaced
I would expect the seat covers to last up to 10 years and then be replaced as an entire set, typically included as part of an overhaul
However, as these units may be transferred away to another franchise during their life it may be performed at that time

Equally, take a look at the Class 170 units, many of these are now showing their age but that is mainly due to a poor choice of interior trim colours
The ScotRail ones use a darker colour and do not look as bad

pemma

Veteran Member
Equally, take a look at the Class 170 units, many of these are now showing their age but that is mainly due to a poor choice of interior trim colours
The ScotRail ones use a darker colour and do not look as bad

Some of the 170s are older than the 175s, which are getting/have got an interior refurbishment. The TPE 170s have had an interior refurbishment to make them look more 185 like but I'm not sure on other 170s.

Status
Not open for further replies.