• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

1938 Stock Future Running

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Stringer

I am delighted to see that Met No.1 is still earning it's keep. This is the locomotive that I saved from being cut up in 1964. Initially (as a 19 year old apprentice) I had set my sights on L52 the last remaining F Class locomotive. The asking price was £500. Through donations I had acquired over £1,000, but when I came to hand over the cheque I was advised that L52 would never be able to tun in steam again as it had a cracked mainframe. I was offered instead L44 for just £450 and under steam it was driven up to its temporary home in Luton. The rest, as they say is history. Jim Stringer.

class387

Established Member
The 1938 stock is no longer showing on the ticket site! Is there a problem? Bookings are meant to open tomorrow but it appears it might be cancelled!

Anyone have further details?

class387

Established Member
Tickets now on sale for the Steam train, but still no 1938 stock. The main page still advertises the 1938 stock though.

Anyone know why?

Nym

Established Member
Driven by test train driver so no issue with training

The Test Train Operators still require training.

The D Stock RATs have had a bit more done to them than a couple of sandite hoppers chucked in one of the trailers.

Because of this... ^^

There are a lot of changes made to it, some of which will significantly affect the handling of the train.

For one, they're being shortened to 5 car trains...
See this board paper, PSEC0103.
http://content.tfl.gov.uk/fpc-160121-item09-project-monitoring-revised.pdf

Also see here that two are being done;
http://england.unitedkingdom-tender...re_and_software_for_the_D78_Stock_2016_London

LU is converting two ex-passenger trains into Rail Adhesion Trains (RATs) to dispense a friction modifier (Sandite) during leaf-fall season on the northern sections of the Metropolitan Line. One of the project's requirements is the provision and installation of a simple data logging system to record driver's commands on the train.

Finally, watching this video carefully, you'll potentially notice some of the differences for yourself.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3FIMBuE7HA

class387

Established Member
From the LT Museum Website:

Journey times and ticket prices for the September steam and diesel hauled coaches are shown below. Following the overhaul of the 1938 Tube stock it is still undergoing final safety tests and we are therefore unable to release tickets for sale until the train has passed these tests. We hope to release these for sale on the 11 August.

bluegoblin7

Established Member
A sensible decision, considering the various issues with last year's trips and the "unforeseen" circumstances that were anything but to those in the know.

class387

Established Member
Now cancelled:

Following the overhaul of the 1938 Tube stock, unfortunately we are now unable to run this train due to technical difficulties, which require further investigation. We hope to be able to run journeys in the near future.

Anyone know why?

LiftFan

Another train I'd like to see have at least a 4 car preserved set is the 72TS. This design has faithfully served London since the 67TS entered service, and has had use on the Bakerloo, Jubilee, Victoria, Northern and Piccadilly line (73TS being very similar in body aesthetics at least) and is almost, to me at least, the second generation of the much loved 38TS which had iterations such as the 59TS and 62TS. It will be a shame when the last of those trains bites the dust.

class387

Established Member
Another train I'd like to see have at least a 4 car preserved set is the 72TS. This design has faithfully served London since the 67TS entered service, and has had use on the Bakerloo, Jubilee, Victoria, Northern and Piccadilly line (73TS being very similar in body aesthetics at least) and is almost, to me at least, the second generation of the much loved 38TS which had iterations such as the 59TS and 62TS. It will be a shame when the last of those trains bites the dust.

There is one, used for filming and kept at Aldwych. It is an ex-Northern Line MK1 and I think it is in almost original condition! Whether it is kept after its film duties I don't know.

I would really like a sub-surface train, either A or D stock to be preserved.

E759

Last edited by a moderator:

bluegoblin7

Established Member
Don't get too excited just yet. There's been an incredibly poor record on heritage runs recently with the LTM announcing dates before any confirmation of the events taking place has happened from LUL. There are still some outstanding issues to resolve with the 38TS, including final sign off to operate in passenger on the network.

E759

Don't get too excited just yet. There's been an incredibly poor record on heritage runs recently with the LTM announcing dates before any confirmation of the events taking place has happened from LUL. There are still some outstanding issues to resolve with the 38TS, including final sign off to operate in passenger on the network.
Oh dear! I will keep my fingers crossed then.

class387

Established Member
It appears that the 1938 Stock will finally be running between Amersham and Watford on 09/09/2018 according to the London Transport Museum website.

Does anyone have any idea when ticket booking opens?

bluegoblin7

Established Member
It appears that the 1938 Stock will finally be running between Amersham and Watford on 09/09/2018 according to the London Transport Museum website.

Does anyone have any idea when ticket booking opens?

Final confirmation is still awaited, but the unit has been out on the test track the last couple of weeks undergoing a final few tests to be recertified.

Once that is confirmed bookings should be opened, hopefully within the next fortnight if no issues are experienced.

E759

Oh dear! I will keep my fingers crossed then.
Well that obviously did the trick! I've been on the Isle of Wight twice this summer and traveled the line, is the LTM unit essentially the same stock as used on the Island?

Thanks.

Mikey C

Established Member
Well that obviously did the trick! I've been on the Isle of Wight twice this summer and traveled the line, is the LTM unit essentially the same stock as used on the Island?

Thanks.

Yes, but in original condition, rather than "modernised" like the IOW stock was

class387

Established Member
Had a delightful day riding the 1938 Stock on Trip 3 between Amersham and Watford today. The atmosphere and elegance from the '38 Stock's design is still unrivalled for me. Rides on an RF and RT to Chesham were also wonderful. Thanks to LTM for organising. :D

Muzer

Established Member
Bit late, but does anyone have a copy of the Timetable Notice for this tour?

Dstock7080

Established Member
Bit late, but does anyone have a copy of the Timetable Notice for this tour?
31087897408_7bb6f8e826_c.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.