• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

1955 BR modernisation plan - what would you have done differently?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ac6000cw

Established Member
Re the brakes, I can only hazard a guess that as the pony truck would have been unsprung the extra weight of brakes would have caused uncontrolled pitching and would have been a hammerblow risk. Besides which, figures I've seen somewhere in the past suggested they didn't carry much weight anyway so the added braking force wouldn't have been significant.
How common (or not) were brakes on the pony trucks and bogies of steam locos - was it that having unbraked idler axles was just a continuation of steam practice?

EE were clearly offering by 1958 a 2500hp engine to fit into the class 40. Whether that is intercooled or not is uncertain, but it was offered, BTC wanted it, BR ignored it. It rather seems to me it was that intransigence from BR that forced EE to build DP2 to try and break the pro-Sulzer mindset within BR.
But the fact remains that by the late 1950s EE had both a suitable engine and the Deltic bodyshell available and they could have been paired much earlier
The slightly crazy thing here is that in the mid to late 1950's EE were pretty much world leaders in high power to weight ratio diesel-electric locos. Contemporary US EMD locos like the F9, GP9 (4-axle) and SD9 (6-axle) were only 1750hp and rather larger and heavier (note 1750hp US loco 'power available for traction' rating = around 1900hp UK). To get more than that a single loco from EMD meant going to the twin-engined E9 passenger loco rated at 2400hp (around 2650hp UK), which weighed 143t. Alco could sell you the RSD-15 in 1956, 2400hp on six axles, single-engined, at 151t weight.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

randyrippley

Established Member
But EE hadn't joined them together on Co-Co bogies.

The first production Deltic was in 1961, and the first EET3s were just delivered before the end of 1960. These were the first locos for BR on EE's Co-Co bogie, which was not a success at first, both the Deltics and the EET3s having to be given rectification work. Even if what you suggest was feasible, it wouldn't have happened any more quickly than 1961, particularly given that EE must have had some constraints on design resources.
So what bogies were used under DP1?
What bogies were used on 10000-1?
A choice there of two Co-Co designs, and the American Commonwealth designs would have been available as well.

They could have started a 2500hp Co-Co design much earlier, as for the rectification work, the sooner you start the sooner it's done

How common (or not) were brakes on the pony trucks and bogies of steam locos - was it that having unbraked idler axles was just a continuation of steam practice?
I can't answer that, but I don't remember seeing any fitted

The slightly crazy thing here is that in the mid to late 1950's EE were pretty much world leaders in high power to weight ratio diesel-electric locos. Contemporary US EMD locos like the F9, GP9 (4-axle) and SD9 (6-axle) were only 1750hp and rather larger and heavier (note 1750hp US loco 'power available for traction' rating = around 1900hp UK). To get more than that a single loco from EMD meant going to the twin-engined E9 passenger loco rated at 2400hp (around 2650hp UK), which weighed 143t. Alco could sell you the RSD-15 in 1956, 2400hp on six axles, single-engined, at 151t weight.
Arguably Sulzer were ahead of EE in terms of power:weight of the actual diesel, although they couldn't build an entire loco or the electrics. BR bet the farm on using Sulzers in the the type 4s they intended to build inhouse, and did their best to minimise competition from EE by refusing the uprated class 40. In the event it all went wrong, with the Sulzers suffering crankshaft problems and later the class 47 crankcase failures, slow delivery from Crompton, unreliable Brush electrics, and union/labour management issues causing delays at the BR workshops

Last edited:

Magdalia

Established Member
So what bogies were used under DP1?
What bogies were used on 10000-1?
Just because Co-Co bogies exist doesn't make it feasible to build a locomotive with a 16CSVT power unit on top of them, and stay within an axle load constraint acceptable to BR/BTC.

The Deltic had lightweight 2 stroke power units. The prototype was a bit heavier than the production Deltics, but not much, so it worked on Co-Co bogies, with axle load below 18 tons.

10000 and 10001 were very heavy so, on Co-Co bogies, they had a very high axle loading, more than 21 tons. A Co-Co loco like that would have been impractical for widespread use, and would have had a very restricted route availability. That's why the EET4 and BRT4 ended up on 1Co-Co1 bogies.

the American Commonwealth designs would have been available as well.
As used in the Brush Type 2 in 1957, then in Falcon and the Brush Type 4. But EE wanted to build as much as possible in house, whereas Brush worked on contracting out nearly everything except the electrical equipment. For EE, use of Commonwealth bogies instead of in-house fabricated bogies would have increased both loco weight and price.

ac6000cw

Established Member
Arguably Sulzer were ahead of EE in terms of power:weight of the actual diesel, although they couldn't build an entire loco or the electrics.
I found this on the DerbySulzers site (in the AEI section, in relation to the BRCW/AEI/Sulzer Lion prototype loco) - my bold:

Of course, BR had made the quest for higher power and speed with a 19-ton axle loading unnecessarily difficult by its insistence upon the very heavy Sulzer 12LDA28 engine, which turned out to be a real problem child, and an expensive one as well. Tufnell gave the price of the Sulzer engine as £45k as compared with £26k for the English Electric 16CSVT; this would have been in the early 1960s. Weights were given as 22.3 tons for the 12LDA28 and 19.4 tons for the 16CSVT. The heavy engine meant that all other parts of the locomotive had to be as light as possible, in some cases more so than good engineering judgement might have otherwise indicated. The Lion came in at the specified maximum of 114 tons. The first batch of class 47s were overweight at 117 tons, but it appears that if Brush had been admonished for that transgression, it got off by promising to do better in the future. Deletion of the electric train heating facility, a majorly retrograde move, seems to have been part of “doing better”.

Just because Co-Co bogies exist doesn't make it feasible to build a locomotive with a 16CSVT power unit on top of them, and stay within an axle load constraint acceptable to BR/BTC.

The Deltic had lightweight 2 stroke power units. The prototype was a bit heavier than the production Deltics, but not much, so it worked on Co-Co bogies, with axle load below 18 tons.
The '23rd Deltic', DP2 was only about 6t heavier than a production Deltic (according to Wikipedia). Yes the Deltic engines were very light weight (around 4t-5t each, as far as I can find, versus around 20t for the 16CSVT) but there's 2 x main generators & 2 x engine cooling systems, so that reduces some of the weight saving of lightweight engines.

So for DP2, 107t on six axles = 17.8t axle load. AFAIK, this is around the same as a 1957-vintage Brush Type-2, which had half the power.

randyrippley

Established Member
I found this on the DerbySulzers site (in the AEI section, in relation to the BRCW/AEI/Sulzer Lion prototype loco) - my bold:
Don't forget the Sulzer was putting out 2200hp in the 44, 2500hp in the 45/46 against only 2000hp for the EE engine, giving the production Peaks a better power:weight ratio for the diesels. EE wanted to put 2500hp into the main production 40s which would have reversed things, this was recommended by the BTC but ignored by BR

All things pointed to the EE engine being the better choice: cost, weight, better future upgrade possibilities, UK technical base. But BR wanted Sulzer. The EE engine was dismissed as "unproven" (a ridiculous view). You have to wonder at the motives, it's been suggested elsewhere that the BR Sulzer orders were directed by government as a way of baling out / compensating Vickers for military orders that were promised but never placed........

The production Deltics and DP2 used essentially the same bogie as DP1
So what are the changes which made putting the 16CSVT or uprated 16SVT engine into a second DP1 body (or a revised version of it) impossible at an earlier date?

Last edited:

Magdalia

Established Member
So what are the changes which made putting the 16CSVT or uprated 16SVT engine into a second DP1 body (or a revised version of it) impossible at an earlier date?
A 16SVT on Co-Co bogies was on the drawing board in 1958, but uprating would only have got to 2200hp, not enough to be a significant improvement on the 2000hp already on offer.

I'm not an engineer but it looks to me that the significant item is the intercooler, which turns the 16SVT into a 16CSVT and gets the rating up to 2500hp and beyond.

Unless I've forgotten something, BR Sulzer powered diesel locos with an intercooler started with D11 in 10/60 and for EE powered locos with an intercooler it was D6700 in 12/60. In 1958 intercoolers for British railway diesel electric traction were still an untried new thing. And Webb described the intercooler in the Sulzer 12LDA28B as "small".

In 1958 EE offerings on Co-Co bogies were the 12CSVT and the 16SVT but not the 16CSVT. BR could have 16 cylinders, or it could have an intercooler, but not both. BR ran with the 12CSVT, and I suspect that design team capacity at EE would have constrained them to one "new toy".

I don't know how much intercooling weighs, but it looks to me like in 1958 it was the straw that broke the camel's back when it came to a 16 cylinder power unit on Co-Co bogies.

Last edited:

HSTEd

Veteran Member
I might get laughed at for even suggesting this.......

How would it have gone if BR had attempted to follow Union Pacific into GTELs?
Certainly would provide power outputs that would be unimaginable for diesel at the time.

ac6000cw

Established Member

Based on their experience with the two GWR/Western Region prototypes, not very well. High less-than-full-power fuel consumption and short life of the combustion chamber linings were just a couple of the issues as far as I remember. External noise was an issue as well, I think. Even the (huge) Union Pacific ones were eventually withdrawn due to increasing fuel costs (even for 'Bunker C' fuel) and availability of more powerful, more flexible diesels as time went on.

Certainly would provide power outputs that would be unimaginable for diesel at the time.
Part of the problem with sustained high power output is that you burn more fuel, which you have to carry with you - this either means the usable range between refueling is short or the loco gets too heavy or you need to haul a fuel tender (the UP GTEL solution).

GWR/WR had the right idea with wanting high power to weight ratio locos for passenger services, but gas turbine technology had too many downsides. Should have just ordered some Deltics... ;)

randyrippley

Established Member

The anecdotal results from GT3 seem to suggest that gas turbines with a mechanical transmission could have worked in slow speed heavy haul applications, with continuous slow speed running. If the 9Fs or 8Fs had been rebuilt as gas turbines you could have had a type 5 hauler in the 1960s.
Would have needed an uprated turbine from the one in GT3. This could have been done maybe with something derived from the Armstrong Siddeley Double Mamba which would have pushed out 4000hp, but would have had the advantage of shutting half the engine down at low power needs
wouldn't have worked for passenger trains though: the start/stop nature would have ruined fuel economy

And FWIW, after the Navy disposed of their Gannets, some of the Double Mambas were successfully converted into turboshaft generator units, so the conversion was feasible

Last edited:

ac6000cw

Established Member
The anecdotal results from GT3 seem to suggest that gas turbines with a mechanical transmission could have worked in slow speed heavy haul applications, with continuous slow speed running.
But how much of a typical duty cycle (in bulk commodity service in the 1950s, like coal trains) would have been spent at full power (where I assume gas turbines are most efficient)?

Having just done a quick search for coal train lengths in the late 50s'/early 60's and the answer seems to be up to 100 or so 16T wagons (23T gross) on the main lines in some circumstances, so around 2300T (mostly unbraked so limited to 25mph probably). Would need very skilled handling by the crew, I'm sure. I think 60 x 16T wagons was a more typical general limit, so around 1400T gross.

randyrippley

Established Member
The key to a gas turbine is to have it running at a constant speed, adjusting the fuel burn to keep it at that speed.
Gearing a train to 25mph would be ideal as there's little speed variation to worry about, you can regard the controls as simple binary on/off. Acceleration and braking is what kills the fuel economy.
With a twin turbine engine like the Double Mamba you could simply shut half the engine down when hauling empties, with the other half running at optimum power.
Of course nowadays you'd use electric battery hybrid transmission, but that wasn't an option back then

coppercapped

Established Member
EE were clearly offering by 1958 a 2500hp engine to fit into the class 40. Whether that is intercooled or not is uncertain, but it was offered, BTC wanted it, BR ignored it. It rather seems to me it was that intransigence from BR that forced EE to build DP2 to try and break the pro-Sulzer mindset within BR.
But the fact remains that by the late 1950s EE had both a suitable engine and the Deltic bodyshell available and they could have been paired much earlier

Re the brakes, I can only hazard a guess that as the pony truck would have been unsprung the extra weight of brakes would have caused uncontrolled pitching and would have been a hammerblow risk. Besides which, figures I've seen somewhere in the past suggested they didn't carry much weight anyway so the added braking force wouldn't have been significant.
I can't lay my hand on it at the moment to confirm my memory but I am reasonably confident that Harold Holcroft reports in his book An Outline of Great Western Locomotive Practice 1837–1947 (Ian Allan 1971, a reprint of the original 1947 book) that the GWR used to brake the leading bogie of at least some of its 4-6-0s. Churchward ran some trials before the First World War to see if these brakes shortened the braking distance. It was found that their absence made no noticeable difference so Churchward had all the brakes removed and saved all the complication and maintenance requirements and built no further locomotives with them.

The bogie brakes are visible in this image of 4011 Knight of the Garter dating from 1911 which may be found in the Flickr archive at https://www.flickr.com/photos/124446949@N06/36030757456/

Added in edit:

The bogie was sprung - at least it had primary springs over each axlebox. The frame is suspended by a system of swing links to permit it to have some lateral freedom but at the moment I cant remember whether these links also had some secondary suspension.

Here I am again! I’d like to make some further comments to some of the remarks made to my earlier posts.

I still maintain that there was sufficient diesel fuel available in the country in the 1947 to 1950/1 time frame to power a couple of dozen development locomotives of Ivatt’s original design without breaking the bank. As I wrote earlier burning oil in a locomotive firebox is incredibly wasteful, for the same power output three to four times as much oil is needed and the locomotive still needs to burn oil during its standby periods. The efficiency was no better than a coal fired steam locomotive. There were undoubtedly issues with the Government buying oil from the USA in dollars after the end of Lend-Lease but this narrative of lack of dollars omits two important considerations:

Firstly, the post-war American (and Canadian) loan in 1946 to the UK gave the Government a shot in the arm for dollar fluidity but further indebted Britain to the U.S above that of the Lend-Lease items still to be paid for. The Lend-Lease items retained were sold to Britain at 10% of nominal value, giving an initial loan value of £1.075 billion for the Lend-Lease portion of the post-war loans. Repayment was to be stretched out over 50 annual payments, starting in 1951 and with five years of deferred payments, at 2% interest. The final payment of $83.3 million (£42.5 million), due on 31 December 2006 (repayment having been deferred for the allowed five years), was made on 29 December 2006 (the last working day of the year). After this final payment Britain's Chancellor, Ed Balls, formally thanked the U.S. for its wartime support.

Secondly Marshall Aid was received from 1948. I can do no better than quote from Norman Davies' book Europe - A History (Pimlico 1997) page 1064:

On 5 June 1947, at a Harvard Commencement speech, Truman's Secretary of State, General George Marshall, unveiled plans for a European Recovery Program. "It is logical", he declared, "that the United States should do whatever it is able to do to assist in the return of normal economic health in the world, without which there can be no political stability and no assured peace". In contrast to the 1920s, the USA was offering to finance Europe's recovery in the interests of the common good. The Marshall Plan ran for four years, from 1948 to the end of 1951. It dispensed a total of $12,500 billion to 16 participating members. To manage the funds, it required the establishment of the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD), which insisted that recipients increase production, expand trade, and make 'counterpart contributions' of their own. Although one quarter of Marshall Aid was earmarked for Britain and one-fifth for France, it was available to allies, neutrals, and ex-enemies alike. It has no peer in the history of enlightened self-interest.'

So, between 1948 and 1951 Britain received over $3 billion in aid in then dollars. Britain was the single biggest recipient, receiving twice as much as West Germany. The trouble was - it was mostly wasted in current rather than capital expenditure. Little was invested in business such as happened in, for example, Germany through the Kreditanstalt für Wiederaufbau and its successors as a rolling investment fund, or the French government electrifying its railways or the Belgium government rebuilding the docks in Antwerp. As far as one can tell the UK Governments of the time treated it simply as another flow of tax revenues.

Some Government department may have found it difficult to get sufficient dollars out of the Treasury to buy oil in the quantities needed to throw it up the chimneys of 1200 oil-fired steam locomotives. But I suspect that the lack of dollars became a suitable smoke screen to disguise what was an awful decision in the first place quite apart from the Government not wanting to be seen taking work away from another of its newly nationalised industries. But claiming that there were not enough dollars in the country by 1948/1950 to buy sufficient oil to power, at the outside a couple of dozen 1600/2000bhp diesel locomotives is a nonsense.

To other things…!

Regarding the possibility of BR remaining profitable after the war, the suggestions I made were simply intended as examples of trying to think differently. I have already stated that I don’t think BR could have remained profitable in the 1950s with the availability of reliable and more comfortable motor cars and the changes in the structure of Britain’s industry and its products. As I said, the BTC and RE were clinging to the past although it was quite clear by the end of the war in Japan that the world had changed dramatically. I agree that eventually technical and econonomic changes trump organisational issues but the point remains that nationalisation in the form chosen and the outdated constraints on the railway’s freedom of commercial action in the form of rate setting, freedom to select traffic and Government controls on wages and conditions of service delayed any serious changes by between 10 (Modernisation Plan) and 15 years (Beeching Report). All this meant that the finances went to pot and motive power development essentially stopped for 10 years (the few electrification schemes were all pre-war concepts).

The suggestions I made for changes (a Japanese model or getting into the international travel business) were intended to be examples of what could have happened to improve the financial situation if business people rather than civil servants of military people had been in charge. Instead of criticising the suggestions why not show some imagination and suggest some other models which could have expanded the business outside its rigid framework of only supplying internal land transport. A national business constrained to offer only transport services has no chance of expansion
to bring in more money.

I do not disagree that Western European rail networks are an obvious point of comparison with the British rail network, but as the situation in which many of them found themselves at the end of the Second World War was so abnormal and so very different to that pertaining in the UK at the time I am having difficulty in understanding why a study should be ‘instructive’ which implies that the UK could have learned something. But in this context see also above about the use of the Marshall Aid monies.

Regarding bogies…

…the Co-Co bogies under 10000 and 10001 were designed at Derby but based on US practice. Externally, at least to me, they look to be similar to those used under the EM2 electric locomotives for the Woodhead line, but I don’t know if there is any common history. The bogies for the Deltic prototype were, as far as I know, a purely English Electric design but of course all Co-Co bogies have similarities, there are only so many ways of laying out the springs and other gubbins at any particular level of technology.

The original welded version of the EE Co-Co bogie showed weaknesses when used continually at high speed and the production Deltics soon received bogies with cast frames. I think some of the Type 3s (Class 37 to you youngsters!) also received cast frame bogies.

The 1-Co-Co-1 bogie used under the EE Type 4s (Class 40) was almost identical to that used under the Southern Railway’s diesel locomotives 10201, 10202 and 10203. In turn this was essentially the same as Bulleid’s Co-Co bogie for the SR’s electric locomotive CC1 of 1941 but with an additional pony truck to carry the extra weight of the diesel engine and cooler groups. The bogie had no secondary suspension, the body rotated on quadrants attached to the top of the frames, and there was a tendency for the side frames around the horn guides to crack. BR was developing a modified primary suspension using long swing links to alleviate the problem but the locomotives were withdrawn before it was generally applied. The Peak class’s bogie is obviously similar but I am unaware if was based on the SR/EE design.

I’ll try to address the issue of the decline of the home-grown rolling stock industry in a subsequent post as it is also tied up with the Governments’ industrial policy in the 1960s and this post is too long anyway.

Last edited:

PMN1

What examples of diesels were there in other couyntries at this time?

ac6000cw

Established Member
What examples of diesels were there in other couyntries at this time?
By 1955, EMD alone had sold around 10,000 mainline diesels in North America. It was mainly EMD products that made steam extinct on most US railroads by the end of the 1950s.

As for loco types, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_EMD_locomotives - the E and F 'cab units' plus the GP 'road switchers' were the main types sold up to the mid 1950s.

Last edited:

Sad Sprinter

Established Member
There's one big problem with these "we should have electrified earlier and stopped building steam" comments: where would we have built the electric locomotives?
The BR workshops and most of the contract builders were steam-only. Exceptions were Brush and EE, though at that stage EE only had the Preston works, not Vulcan, Stephensons nor Hawthorn-Leslie.
BRCW had built diesels, but not pure electrics.
There simply wasn't the capacity to build enough electric or diesels until the late 50's early 60's. Of course if the decision had been to make ALL new passenger stock as EMUs then things might have been different. Multiple units could be built in coach works with little modification, while they couldn't be simply built in steam loco foundries. As it happened, the big DMU deliveries came first because they were easy to build on existing plant, diesel and electric locos came later in new or refurbished works.
Simple fact is, we had massive steam loco production facilities, little in the way of electric or diesel production plant, and as a country little money to invest in new plant or retooling old.
If we'd tried switching production earlier, you would have had all the problems experienced at NBL, only on a much larger scale.

This is an interesting comment. I wonder if in a parallel universe, we could have seen an early overhead supplied 4CEP design fitted for the West Coast, at least the normal Birmingham/Manchester/Liverpool to London services, leaving steam to go to the more far flung places like Perth or wherever. Would certainly be a lot of work for the Southern shops building EMUs for the whole railway network

eldomtom2

On Moderation
Some Government department may have found it difficult to get sufficient dollars out of the Treasury to buy oil in the quantities needed to throw it up the chimneys of 1200 oil-fired steam locomotives. But I suspect that the lack of dollars became a suitable smoke screen to disguise what was an awful decision in the first place quite apart from the Government not wanting to be seen taking work away from another of its newly nationalised industries. But claiming that there were not enough dollars in the country by 1948/1950 to buy sufficient oil to power, at the outside a couple of dozen 1600/2000bhp diesel locomotives is a nonsense.
So in other words, you have no sources aside from your own vague suspicions.
The suggestions I made for changes (a Japanese model or getting into the international travel business) were intended to be examples of what could have happened to improve the financial situation if business people rather than civil servants of military people had been in charge. Instead of criticising the suggestions why not show some imagination and suggest some other models which could have expanded the business outside its rigid framework of only supplying internal land transport. A national business constrained to offer only transport services has no chance of expansion to bring in more money.
Fundamentally, I am extremely unconvinced that government and broader society would have approved of the BTC spending money on non-transport businesses - especially not when it would have been taxpayers' money they were spending. While there was an expectation that it would "pay its own way", it was not nationalised to make money for the government. Contrasting severely delayed trains with the BTC spending millions on real estate or package holidays would have been a field day for the media.
I do not disagree that Western European rail networks are an obvious point of comparison with the British rail network, but as the situation in which many of them found themselves at the end of the Second World War was so abnormal and so very different to that pertaining in the UK at the time I am having difficulty in understanding why a study should be ‘instructive’ which implies that the UK could have learned something.
Instructive for you, not instructive for BR. That BR ended steam years earlier than most of Western Europe suggests perhaps that they were not laggards.

Grumpy

Regarding bogies…

…the Co-Co bogies under 10000 and 10001 were designed at Derby but based on US practice. Externally, at least to me, they look to be similar to those used under the EM2 electric locomotives for the Woodhead line, but I don’t know if there is any common history.
I believe the EM2 bogies were as designed at Derby. The Ivatt 10000 Society, who are re-creating 10000, have secured spare bogies from the owners of a preserved EM2 and are to refurbish for their project. Their website says they are identical

randyrippley

Established Member
This is an interesting comment. I wonder if in a parallel universe, we could have seen an early overhead supplied 4CEP design fitted for the West Coast, at least the normal Birmingham/Manchester/Liverpool to London services, leaving steam to go to the more far flung places like Perth or wherever. Would certainly be a lot of work for the Southern shops building EMUs for the whole railway network
Not just the southern shops
Swindon had the jigs for the intercity DMUs, which could easily have been used for EMUs.
That could have been duplicated at Derby, and the contract builders like Metro-Camm, BRCW, Gloucester RCW.
Could have directly followed on when DMU production began to run down 1957/8

Grumpy

Essentially you had this with the York built Clacton EMU's which were vastly superior to the CEP's.

PMN1

By 1955, EMD alone had sold around 10,000 mainline diesels in North America. It was mainly EMD products that made steam extinct on most US railroads by the end of the 1950s.

As for loco types, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_EMD_locomotives - the E and F 'cab units' plus the GP 'road switchers' were the main types sold up to the mid 1950s.

Anyone know what was the reaction of the coal unions in the US to the extinction of coal firing on the railways?

ac6000cw

Established Member
Anyone know what was the reaction of the coal unions in the US to the extinction of coal firing on the railways?
I've never come across anything that discusses that, but at least some of the railroads that earned most of their revenue from hauling coal stayed with steam for longer, AFAIK so as not to annoy their coal mining customers too much (and of course their fuel supply was on the doorstep, so I assume was relatively cheap).

But even the coal-hauling defender of steam economics (and replacer of 50 miles of electrification with steam in 1950) Norfolk & Western Railway went fully diesel by 1960, the last major railroad in the US to do so. This was a few years after neighbouring coal-haulers like the C&O and the Virginian had done the same.

Last edited:

zwk500

Veteran Member
Does anybody know the relative importance of the railways' consumption of coal to the coal industry in either (or both) the US and UK in the 1950s? If the majority of your coal is going to power stations or steel mills then the unions may not have minded about the loss of the railway consumption if cheaper transport meant the mines overall were protected.

simonw

So in other words, you have no sources aside from your own vague suspicions.

Fundamentally, I am extremely unconvinced that government and broader society would have approved of the BTC spending money on non-transport businesses - especially not when it would have been taxpayers' money they were spending. While there was an expectation that it would "pay its own way", it was not nationalised to make money for the government. Contrasting severely delayed trains with the BTC spending millions on real estate or package holidays would have been a field day for the media.

Instructive for you, not instructive for BR. That BR ended steam years earlier than most of Western Europe suggests perhaps that they were not laggards.
BR ended steam in 1968 because the collapse in demand and subsequent closures meant it had enough electric and diesel motive power to do so. This collapse wasn't as marked in other countries or,as with France, the closures preceded the building of new stock.

Does anybody know the relative importance of the railways' consumption of coal to the coal industry in either (or both) the US and UK in the 1950s? If the majority of your coal is going to power stations or steel mills then the unions may not have minded about the loss of the railway consumption if cheaper transport meant the mines overall were protected.
Gives state on coal production. Not found stats on railroad consumption, yet

ac6000cw

Established Member
Gives state on coal production. Not found stats on railroad consumption, yet
For the US, this table is from: https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=mdp.39015019917478&view=1up&seq=338 via an old Trains forum thread - https://cs.trains.com/trn/f/111/t/273021.aspx
Note it's total railroad coal consumption, so includes building heating etc.

1694457829446.png

So in 1946, railroads used about 22% of total US coal production, which dramatically reduced by 1950 to only around 13%. But note the increase in coal used for electricity generation over the same period which made up for some of that.

Production in the Appalachian coalfield declined precipitously from the 1950s, however, as the demand for high-quality 'black diamond' anthracite fell. A lot of the eastern railroads were dependent on hauling this traffic and got into serious difficulties as a result - the Erie and Lackawanna had to merge for example. Open cast coal from Wyoming etc accounted for the increase in production for electricity generation purposes.

AHBD

A 16SVT on Co-Co bogies was on the drawing board in 1958, but uprating would only have got to 2200hp, not enough to be a significant improvement on the 2000hp already on offer.

I'm not an engineer but it looks to me that the significant item is the intercooler, which turns the 16SVT into a 16CSVT and gets the rating up to 2500hp and beyond.

Unless I've forgotten something, BR Sulzer powered diesel locos with an intercooler started with D11 in 10/60 and for EE powered locos with an intercooler it was D6700 in 12/60. In 1958 intercoolers for British railway diesel electric traction were still an untried new thing. And Webb described the intercooler in the Sulzer 12LDA28B as "small".

In 1958 EE offerings on Co-Co bogies were the 12CSVT and the 16SVT but not the 16CSVT. BR could have 16 cylinders, or it could have an intercooler, but not both. BR ran with the 12CSVT, and I suspect that design team capacity at EE would have constrained them to one "new toy".

I don't know how much intercooling weighs, but it looks to me like in 1958 it was the straw that broke the camel's back when it came to a 16 cylinder power unit on Co-Co bogies.
1 would there have been a big cost difference between early type 5 power formed from one locomotive with 1Co-Co bogies and two smaller types working in multiple, which thus could meet axle weight limits with only Co-Co or Bo-Bo bogies? If permanently coupled you could save with only a cab at one end (sort of how 20s are used now)?

2 Would a Bo′Bo′Bo′ arrangement ( like Eurotunnel Class 9 or Class 9000) work for an early type 5 locomotive (is there a reason they don't seem very common?)

Magdalia

Established Member
In the UK rail was relatively insignificant for overall demand for coal. It was well behind domestic use, industrial use, electricity and town gas.

BR ended steam in 1968 because the collapse in demand
The most important factor in the collapse of demand for coal in the UK around that time was the discovery of natural gas in the North Sea. This reduced domestic and industrial demand, and quickly wiped out town gas. Coal for electricity generation actually went up, but was moved over much shorter distances to the big baseload power stations.

would there have been a big cost difference between early type 5 power formed from one locomotive with 1Co-Co bogies and two smaller types working in multiple, which thus could meet axle weight limits with only Co-Co or Bo-Bo bogies?
Two class 20s were definitely more money than 1 class 40, but I can't find a class 20 unit price to work out how much. A class 40 was about £100k.
If permanently coupled you could save with only a cab at one end (sort of how 20s are used now)?
And I don't think we will ever know how much the price of a class 20 would have been reduced by doing this.

simonw

In the UK rail was relatively insignificant for overall demand for coal. It was well behind domestic use, industrial use, electricity and town gas.

The most important factor in the collapse of demand for coal in the UK around that time was the discovery of natural gas in the North Sea. This reduced domestic and industrial demand, and quickly wiped out town gas. Coal for electricity generation actually went up, but was moved over much shorter distances to the big baseload power stations.

Two class 20s were definitely more money than 1 class 40, but I can't find a class 20 unit price to work out how much. A class 40 was about £100k.

And I don't think we will ever know how much the price of a class 20 would have been reduced by doing this.
North sea gas wasn't discovered until 1965 and it wasn't until after the end of steam that production from the North sea exceeded 'town gas'.

Status
Not open for further replies.