• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

1963 Southampton to Wembley Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Union St

Hello again Randy, 150219, 30907, Taunton, Chief, Clarence, Snow, IronDuke, etc.
Gents (or perhaps gentle ladies, I don't know), I've been busy with other stuff, but finally got back to some railway research and put together this little passage. Please don't criticize the writing, the finished article will look nothing like this (a lot to add and tidy, passive verbs to remove, etc.), but from a railway-enthusiast perspective, does this look remotely plausible? I'm particularly interested in the relationship between the driver and the fireman(?), the layout of Southampton docks, communication between the station master and the engineer (driver?), any communication while on the journey (between the brake and driver?), and anything I have disastrously incorrect:

""""In 1963, the Union-Castle Line enjoyed an established reputation for bringing well-found ships into the port of Southampton on a weekly basis, running goods, passengers and mail from South African ports. The Harbor Master was familiar with the planned appearance of their ships, typically into berths 35 or 36 where the River Test met the River Itchen, the most southern quays of the port. Apart from a considerable quantity of corn, fruits, non-exotic metals and minerals, sugar, and wool, each ship carried aboard a small, but extremely heavy cargo of gold bullion, protected in the ship’s specie room, heading for the Bank of England and the world dominating London gold market. Everyone involved knew the name of the ship, it’s assigned berth and its projected time of arrival. The stevedores, the agent and chandlers, the ship’s personnel, were all familiar with the procedure at Southampton. A ship arrived early on a Monday morning and the bullion was forwarded from the docks to London Waterloo railway station on a specially-constructed bullion train.

But the Victoria P was not a Union-Castle vessel, and her arrival, although not mysterious, might be considered an irregular event. The port was happy to accommodate her business anyway and she was booked into berth 26 and 27 of the Empress Dock. The Captain’s pre-arranged plan was to discharge as follows;

on arrival, hold # 4 tween-deck to be cleared (three small cargoes). Once accomplished, work on # 4 would be suspended while other cargo was delivered from holds 2, 3 & 5 during daylight hours, while in hold # 4 the bolts, under strict supervision, were to be removed from the large plate cover of the deep tank. Upon the completion of the first day, discharge would then continue from the deep tank in hold # 4 only, while under stringent security precautions.

The day of the vessel’s arrival began at 8:00 AM for the forces of law, both the local constabulary and the British Transport Police, given the task of patrolling the docks and the railways. This operation was one of their core responsibilities. An important task being to collect the radio equipment and transport it to the sixty-four-foot-long, blue and grey bullion van once bought onto berth 26 at the conclusion of the day. The radio was a mobile base set fixed into a large metal case powered by a car battery contained within an old military ammunition box. Once on board the aerial would be rigged and the radio tested by calling Hampshire Police Control Room at Winchester.

During the journey it would be their role to provide location and situation updates to the Police Control Rooms along the route while protecting the cargo should there be an attack. At the dock, the Southampton Police created a small cordon with portable barriers at the east and west ends adjacent the vessel when the bullion was to be handled. A few officers had visible side arms.

The delivery of the bullion occurred by first raising each pallet of wooden boxes from the deep tank by the ship’s derrick wire, supervised by the Chief Mate and the company Port Captain, hand-guided by selected stevedores, carefully directing each pallet through the plate cover opening into the tween deck. Once there, the pallet was hoisted by one of the smaller fifty-ton electric dock cranes from the hold and deposited adjacent the bullion van. This was the time for special attention by the police, but there were the usual onlookers; the Captain, the agent and Harbor Master, and a very well-organized Special Services planning team which had liaised with docks and local railway operating management. It was in everyone’s interest for the operation to run smoothly and without incident. Each pallet held ten rope-handled wooden boxes secured with steel bandits. Each box was removed individually from the pallet and transferred to the inside of the van. The weight of each required two men to carry so as to restrict the chance of any one man running away with a box.

Southampton docks were busy like any other day. A 1940s American-built S100 class shunter passed the Empress Dock pulling a few open wagons, while a Standard Class 5 came past hauling passenger stock in green livery. A much older Class E1 hauled some wagons about the docks and another tank shunted vans past a lonely Ford Cortina, and then reversed back toward a dock crane. To the west was the RMS Queen Elizabeth at the Ocean Terminal and beyond that the massed ranks of cranes at the New Docks. A 'Battle of Britain' class locomotive set off below the large building at the northside with luggage vans behind a tender, and the 'West Country' Combe Martin departed, visibly slipping.

It was decided that the van should remain on berth 26 until the appropriate time. That time arrived late in the evening when the S100 Tank growled and hissed into the Empress Dock and backed onto berth 26 and coupled up to the bullion van. There was a general mingling about as men from the Harbor Master’s Office and Transport Police checked the security of the van again. Two unarmed Transport policemen would remain with the van until London.

The S100 set off forwards pulling the bullion slowly from in front of the warehouse on Brazil Road, shunting the gold northwest along Central Road, passing the old Inner Dock, exiting the port, crossing Canute Road alongside Southampton Terminus Station while the local police held the non-existent traffic of the night at bay. The shunter and van crept under Central Bridge, stopped, and backed south to connect to three mail vans and a brake waiting for a trip north to London.

Reggie Wellmeadow had been a locomotive engineer for a long time, but two days earlier he had been confronted by a strange event at the Nine Elms shed. He could not shake the event from his mind as he walked toward the Oliver Bullied-designed engine sitting lonely in the siding, the ‘West Country’ type locomotive, 34007 Wadebridge. He’d driven her before and was happy to handle her again this late evening. And, most importantly, he was heading north, back to Waterloo and then returning the engine to her, and his, home at the Nine Elms shed in Battersea.

He climbed up and shook hands with the engineer(fireman?) who’d begun warming through the engine. The water level was high enough to cover the inside roof of the firebox, but not so high as to reduce the space available for steam storage. The fire was still low, but with a good bed of coke so as not to test the safety valves. He didn’t know the engineer, but he’d seen him at Nine Elms a few times. They exchanged a few pleasantries then continued with the routine procedures; "counting the parts", oiling around, refilling the lubricator, checking for warm bearings, and otherwise making sure everything was as it should be. The blower was on just enough to keep air moving. The fire door was kept closed as much as possible, so only heated air entered the flues.

They spent another hour shoveling coal, cleaning as the steam built and oiling around in preparation to move. Reggie’s instructions were for a 1:00 AM move back to Southampton Terminus and pick up three Post Office vans, a bullion van and a brake: collectively the 1:10 AM Southampton to Waterloo Up-mail.

Right on schedule a short, sharp whistle and Reggie guided the ninety-ton, sixty-seven-foot-long locomotive back towards the Southampton Terminus, steam issuing, the smell of oil, coal and fire, pistons slowly stroking. From his left-hand position, Reggie looked over to see the boiler pressure edging back to near 240 PSI. The vacuum brake pressure was good as well. There had been a slight feeling of slip in the chilly night, but a little sand had solved that. He liked the almost enclosed cabin of the Bullied, sitting back, sliding open the window, and leaning out, then back in, balancing the regulator and reverser, he slowed and edged the Wadebridge toward the waiting mail and bullion vans.

Waiting at the platform, he thought back to that conversation again. They were friendly enough, the two big men, but the intent behind their questions and instructions were obvious for Reggie to understand. The conversation remained cordial, but then he was attentive and accommodating. Had he argued or feigned consternation, he couldn’t be so sure of their cordiality.

At 1:38 AM, given clear to depart by the station master, he gave a short whistle and allowed the steam to flow creating so much pressure that the rods connected to the driving wheels of the locomotive began stroking back and forth, and the train stirred slowly north. He listened to the locomotive make its rhythmic sounds; the engine's huffing resonance of smoke and exhaust gas being emitted through the stack, the hissing of the air pump creating pressure for the brakes as Reggie began working her up to what’s known as “line speed” (the safe speed for the line). Thick black smoke spewed from the locomotive temporarily as she lugged her small load slowly forward, a sign that the firebox wasn’t burning efficiently, but they soon sorted that problem. Reggie loved the sound of trains, real steam trains. Once on the run north he, the engineer and the engine settled into their routine, the men monitoring pressures and watching the signals.

But his mind wondered again as his actions became automatic. Why had those two men needed to know the timing of his departure? Leaving Southampton, entering the countryside after Eastleigh, he took the distinctive, air-smoothed “Spam Can” as they called it, up to seventy miles per hour, all the while eager to see the line of green lights leading into the distance. He shuddered to think what might happen at a red, but no one could make a green light red, right?

Near Farnborough, Police Control was informed from the bullion van of the transfer from Hampshire to Surrey, while Reggie kept the Wadebridge chugging at a good pace, worrying all the time of just what those two men wanted! Near Wimbledon the Surrey police and the Metropolitan Police were alerted of their imminent arrival into Central London. A sense of relief came over Reggie as the train entered the congestion southwest of the great city and he slowed the mighty steam locomotive.

He drove the Wadebridge into Waterloo Station at 3:45AM. The station, although the largest and busiest in England came about by the strange extension of the Nine Elms terminal of the London and Southwest Railway late the in the nineteenth century, and never intended to be a terminus, the plan being to cross the River Thames into central London, but that never played out.

By 1963, long after rebuilding, it had become a place for important arrivals and departures, whether city commuters, holiday makers, Epsom race goers or the armed forces, and had twenty-one platforms and a large, wide concourse under a huge ridge-and-furrow roof. Widely praised for its architecture, the new curved building to the front of the station housed offices and facilities for passengers including a large Georgian style booking hall, but it was quiet that morning.

Reggie led the Wadebridge alongside platform 11, between which and platform 12, lay an indoor ‘street’ upon which mails would be unloaded. """""

Just out of interest at Waterloo I will have two Security Express Commer Walk-thrus waiting for the bullion.
Thank you in advance. Any comments welcome.
Union St, DC

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

70014IronDuke

Established Member
Can't comment on the details of the docks, platforms etc. If you are writing for a US audience, it's fine - only in Brit English we don't normally call the driver an 'engineer' (in spite of the footplate union called the Association of Locomotive Engineers and Firemen") and we call dock workers 'dockers' (not stevedores - interesting where that word originates from). And while we use the definite article for named trains - so The Flying Scotsman, The Waverley, etc - we don't with locomotives, so we would simply say "Wadebridge". (AFAIK, locos were rarely named in the USA, BICBW there.)

Union St

Thank you, Iron Duke. The audience is world-wide, so English English is fine. So, I should say "driver" and "fireman", yes? (Sorry about the stevedores).

Veteran Member
More details to help you along:
the S100 dock tank was usually just called a 'USA' tank.
I think the E1 tanks had gone by 1963 (shame!).

The Up Mail train originated in Weymouth and included 2 vans, 3 postal vans and 3 passenger coaches; 3 extra vans were added at Eastleigh but none at Southampton Terminus, so just the bullion van would be authentic (it would then be right at the front at Waterloo).
Mail trains were accorded top priority so departing Terminus 28 minutes late would have been very unusual.
The departure signal (green lamp not flag, as it's dark) would be given by the guard at each station, not the stationmaster. The guard would also confirm to the driver at Southampton and Eastleigh the load of the train (n vehicles x tons).
And - others may disagree - but Reg rather than Reggie?

70014IronDuke

Established Member
Yes. No need to be sorry, it's the word you grew up with (I assume).

One other point - I'm not sure if enginemen referred to Bulleid pacifics as "Spam Cans" - or whether that was an enthusiast term. To be sure, you could check. There is a dedicated website for Nine Elms locoshed, you could ask there. Or on the Southern Email Group's - SEMG - (very extensive) website.

Union St

Excellent points. Thank you. I agree 'Reg' is better.
The Upmail coming from Weymouth would have the same engine all the way to Waterloo - no change, right?
How would my bullion van get to the front if the loco wasn't changed?
I found SpamCans somewhere, but it's not important. I'll check the Nine Elms site.
And, please confirm, it's the 'driver' and the fireman', yes? Would they know each other?

70014IronDuke

Established Member
Yes - driver and fireman. They would almost certainly have known each other for some time, although if a newly promoted fireman, it might be only by sight.

Bevan Price

Established Member
More details to help you along:
the S100 dock tank was usually just called a 'USA' tank.
I think the E1 tanks had gone by 1963 (shame!).

Yes - the last E1 0-6-0T was withdrawn in 1961. Dock area shunting would almost certainly have been by a USA 0-6-0 tank - until diesels (later known as TOPS Class 07) arrived during 1962.

randyrippley

Established Member
Some thoughts
In 1963 the bullion coach would still be green or maroon, its a couple of years early to be blue/grey livery

I have doubts about the use of coke as firestarting materials. Maybe higher grade coal, but coke seems unlikely. Any drivers able to confirm?

In 1963 the harbour police would have been the Southampton Harbour Board Police - see
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southampton_Harbour_Board_Police
The British Transport Police would have been responsible for rail matters, but not the harbour.
This page indicates the area controlled by the Harbour Police https://www.btphg.org.uk/?page_id=4139
"I think I can now safely answer one question about the Jurisdiction of the Southampton Harbour Board Police at the Town Quay. Which was an area within a 1 mile radius, from the Town Quay. Today this area would probably include Southampton Central Station, part of the Western and Eastern Docks and a big chunk of Southampton High Street. These areas probably formed some of the Historic Police Beats patrolled by the early Police Officers in Southampton"

Also Hampshire Police didn't cover Southampton at this stage - Southampton and Portsmouth retained their own forces much later than the rest of the county. The local force in 1963 would have been Southampton City Police - see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southampton_City_Police

Last edited:

randyrippley

Established Member
Some more thoughts......Reggie (depending on your plot) may not be the best name to choose: too many memories of the Kray brothers

And a piece of pedantry - in 1962 the Cortina was officially named the Ford Consul Cortina - the Consul part of the name was dropped a couple of years later. Most people just called them Cortinas though

Union St

Wow! Yes, I got confused about the color - I know we discussed both, but now I can't find. Thank you for your clarification on the police. BTP had nothing to do with the docks? (even for a train - bullion van - coming from there?)
I'm still confused about the train. I'm using the 1:10 Upmail from Southampton Terminus, but it originated in Weymouth?
Q1: How would it get into S. Terminus and back out again?
Q2: This train would have passenger coaches at that time of the day?

Bevan Price

Established Member
Wow! Yes, I got confused about the color - I know we discussed both, but now I can't find. Thank you for your clarification on the police. BTP had nothing to do with the docks? (even for a train - bullion van - coming from there?)
I'm still confused about the train. I'm using the 1:10 Upmail from Southampton Terminus, but it originated in Weymouth?

There was a (now closed) curve from Southampton Central to Terminus.

randyrippley

Established Member

As I understand it BTP would have looked after the railway, but not the docks at Southampton. Unlike some other ports the Southampton docks were not railway owned, so BTP had no jurisdiction. I think you can assume some degree of co-operation though between City/Harbour/BTP forces

Union St

Yes, right, I see that on the OS maps. But what I don't understand is; the train leaves Weymouth, comes thru Southampton Central then turns south thru that bend and gets to a dead-end at Southampton Terminus, yes? So, now they have to connect the bullion van and move the loco from one end to the other? Sorry, I know this is all simple stuff, but I don't understand how they do that.

randyrippley

Established Member
With the help of the BRDatabase website, it appears that Southampton Docks locoshed retained 6 USA 0-6-0 tanks until the last week of June 1963, when they were transferred to Eastleigh.
http://www.brdatabase.info/locoqry.php?action=locodata&type=S&id=116716&loco=64

I suspect that was a paper exercise with the locos staying in place, with maintenance responsibility transferring.
As far as I can remember the replacement diesels were allocated to Eastleigh, but rarely left Southampton docks

Taunton

Established Member
"Combe Martin" is a West Country class locomotive. Mechanically identical to a Battle of Britain class locomotive, just the various names they bore identified them as one or the other. But it can't be both.

I never heard the Southampton shunters called S100s. They were always USAs.

Locomotive drivers in Britain are always Drivers, and never Engineers, which is reserved for the senior professional management staff. They work with a fireman, invariably well known to them from the same shed. Being Britain, they probably just nod and mumble "how do'es" to each other, unlikely to shake hands (which would be all oily anyway).

It may be worth mentioning that Nine Elms shed and Waterloo station in London at first mention.

You don't warm up a steam locomotive before starting. It's not a car. It warms itself up only in the first few miles.

I'm pleased the water level was enough to cover the inside roof of the firebox, as otherwise you blow a Fusible Plug safety device, that's the end of the trip for the engine and a very serious talk for both driver and fireman with the management ... :) . You always have to have the firebox fully covered.

Coke is not used. Way back at the shed, possibly days before, the fire is started with Kindling, which is scrap wood soaked in paraffin (kerosene), thereafter just coal.

There's no air pump, UK locomotives had vacuum brakes, so the opposite; that would be used for air brakes. The vacuum device is called an Exhauster.

British locomotives do not have the definite article. It's "Wadebridge" rather than "The Wadebridge". There was a longstanding grating of teeth in aviation whenever the USA referred to "Concorde" as "The Concorde"!

I don't believe Waterloo station was ever intended to extend further into Central London.

"Reggie" is fine (as in Reggie Kray, late of that parish).

The train incoming from Weymouth would pull into Southampton Terminus, a dead end, with the loco facing the bufferstops. So it would invariably get a fresh engine there, as in the story, to continue to London.

Incidentally, we only have a bit of the story so far, but it appears the fireman is in on the intrigue. Which brings to mind the classic Sir Arthur Conan Doyle story "The Lost Special", not one of his Sherlock Holmes stories but obviously a close relation. Doyle was a considerable railway buff, despite which he always always seemed to delight in amusing little deliberate errors, having trains leave from the wrong station in London for the destination, plays on the names of railway companies, etc. Here it is if you have a spare half-hour http://www.eastoftheweb.com/short-stories/UBooks/LosSpe.shtml

I'm not sure if enginemen referred to Bulleid Pacifics as "Spam Cans" - or whether that was an enthusiast term.
Gerry Fiennes, well regarded very senior railway manager of the period who wrote some classic books about the railway from a management point of view certainly calls them Spam Cans.

Union St

Wow, thank you, Taunton, some very good stuff. I really didn't consider the Krays, I just thought Reginald was a good name for the time. One more question, please. How do they move the brake from one end to the other (I understand now they can change the loco which is really good for me as I now don't have to learn all about Weybridge :lol: ) I found the proposed extension of Waterloo here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_Waterloo_station
I got the S100s from a British Pathe movie, but I can't find it right now.
(At least I was right not to use a "Johnson bar" :smile: )

randyrippley

Established Member
The Commer Walk-thrus seem realistic: they were introduced 1962, were sized correctly to get into the station and were used by BR and appear to have been used by Security Express as well.
Seem to have come in three capacities- 1.5 tons, 2 tons, 3 tons payload. That's UK tons, 2240lb, not metric tonnnes

Union St

Yes, exactly, Randy. They were difficult to find. There was another, smaller Commer van, but I think these will be the best.Picture1.png Picture3.png

randyrippley

Established Member
Yes, exactly, Randy. They were difficult to find. There was another, smaller Commer van, but I think these will be the best.
The small one wouldn't have the payload. They were only used for parcels deliveries or similar
I think you've made the right choice

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
British locomotives always burn coal , ideally very good quality Welsh dry steam coal. Hot burning and generally fairly smokeless.

Very unlikely you would have a Station Master / Manager seeing off a train in the small hours of the morning - they generally worked day hours - but of course would have been on call if required and turned out for particularly special (personal travel) arrangements. The train would have been despatched by a well experienced Station Foreman , - who was the SM's deputy.

The BTP had jurisdiction over the Southampton Docks , as well as all railway facilties in the area , and would have worked closely with the local forces. Bit of rivalry and banter between both parties.

You might care to make some comment on the reversal and remarshalling of the train at the Terminus station. There would have been slick work in releasing the inwards locomotive , careful observation of the shunting of the bullion van onto the "new" train , carefully observed by the Station Foreman and the carriage and wagon examiner would have done a very careful check on the running gear etc of the train before departure , a very detailed excercise and he would have waited around to ensure that the new locomotive on the train to London was able to create vacuum and that a full pre-departure brake test (in conjunction with the train guard was carried out)

On clearing the departure signal , the Foreman would give the right away to the train guard , - who would display a green hand signal (oil lamps in those days !) , to the driver , often repeated by the Foreman -especially as I believe the platforms was mildly curved. The signalman - on departure - would certainly have rung the local Control Office with a cryptic message to say that train so and so, had departed , the Office would record that in the log (in being a bullion / vulnerable train) - and keep a close eye on the performance through their area. In pre computer days by telephone and received inwards calls from line of route signalmen ("Towermen" in American parlance) ....

randyrippley

Established Member
………...The BTP had jurisdiction over the Southampton Docks , as well as all railway facilties in the area , and would have worked closely with the local forces. Bit of rivalry and banter between both parties……………….......

That doesn't seem to tally with the wiki entry for the Harbour Police at
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southampton_Harbour_Board_Police
The force started out in 1847 with one sergeant and six constables, and its jurisdiction included Southampton Town Quay and the Royal Pier, which had opened in 1833, and up to one mile from the Quay, meaning officers had jurisdiction throughout the city centre. The force operated from a small office on the quay.

A new charter was issued to Southampton Harbour Board in 1954 along with a new coat of arms, which were adopted by the police force for their helmet plate. Southampton Harbour Board was merged with the British Transport Docks Board in 1967 under the Southampton Harbour Reorganisation Scheme 1967,[2] bringing the force under the control of the British Transport Police (BTP). BTP officers were responsible for policing the nearby Southampton Docks but SHBP officers continued to wear their own insignia and police the Town Quay area and pier.

Or were there distinct harbour vs docks jurisdictions???

Union St

Thank you, Chief, this is excellent stuff. So, they would have had to re-shuffle the train a little bit in S. Terminus. Then the bullion van would have been attached at the front, then the Wadebridge (with a tender) attached to the front - excellent. Got it. I think I have it now. I'll do a quick recap soonest.
Thank you, Randy - yes, I have 300 Good Delivery bars so I will probably split the load between two Commer Walk-Thrus.

Veteran Member
Thank you, Chief, this is excellent stuff. So, they would have had to re-shuffle the train a little bit in S. Terminus. Then the bullion van would have been attached at the front, then the Wadebridge (with a tender) attached to the front - excellent. Got it. I think I have it now. I'll do a quick recap soonest.

At Southampton Terminus the incoming loco would have been uncoupled but remained where it was till the train had departed.
No other vehicles were booked to be attached, so your train engine, which had already coupled to the bullion van, would simply back down onto the train and couple to it.
Alternatively, the USA tank might have shunted the bullion van onto the train and then made itself scarce - I don't know which would have been the more likely, but in certain parts of the railway as it was the demarcation line between shunting duties and main line working was strict (it still is in some parts of Europe).

PS the Postal train definitely carried passenger coaches, and did so till the end in the 1980s, though there were probably not many throughout passengers.

Union St

Yes, I just wondered why they would have three passenger coaches on a train leaving at 1:10 am. I like that run cos it fits into the story so well.
Thank you for the clarification on the shuffling the carriages around.

Taunton

Established Member
Yes, I just wondered why they would have three passenger coaches on a train leaving at 1:10 am. I like that run cos it fits into the story so well.
It was always common for overnight mail/parcels/newspaper trains to have one or two passenger vehicles in the consist, even on those trains that were not advertised, and various travellers might end up in them. Given the train ran overnight from Weymouth to London, sailors from the Portland naval base at Weymouth, in those times one of the principal ones, would very likely be on board, going on leave or changing ships. Railwaymen were always generous to naval sailors (still are, apparently), as a notable proportion of them had done their military time at sea and knew the score. At some railway centres, Plymouth especially, it was common for the rail staff of all grades to have a naval background.

Status
Not open for further replies.