• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

1970 Paddington - Ilfracombe / Minehead train consists

Status
Not open for further replies.

robert thomas

I would expect Warships, but there will probably be photographic evidence.

The seated coaches were one of the sets used by the WR for weekend reliefs, while the RU was a loose vehicle.
herewith photo I took at Ilfracombe of D823 on the 13.55(SO)to Paddington on 28th June 1969

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Big Jumby 74

A couple of pics in C.Maggs's book 'The Barnstable and Ilfracombe Railway' (Oakwood Press) of the 6.20 p.m. Ilfracombe to Exeter (return working of Down Paddington?). D817 on 27th July 1968 passing over the slewed line (old Down to Up) at Braunton and D854 leaving Ilfracombe (same train) on 1st August 1970.

Headcodes seemed to vary though on the day. D817 displaying '1O04' and D854 '1A59' as per the Youtube clip of D809 up thread.

Gloster

Established Member
A couple of pics in C.Maggs's book 'The Barnstable and Ilfracombe Railway' (Oakwood Press) of the 6.20 p.m. Ilfracombe to Exeter (return working of Down Paddington?). D817 on 27th July 1968 passing over the slewed line (old Down to Up) at Braunton and D854 leaving Ilfracombe (same train) on 1st August 1970.

Headcodes seemed to vary though on the day. D817 displaying '1O04' and D854 '1A59' as per the Youtube clip of D809 up thread.

The 18.20 Ilfracombe ran to Exeter St D. as the return working of the 16.00 Exeter and should have been one of the four coach Newton Abbot local sets. The Paddington returned from Ilfracombe as the 13.55 back to Paddington.

(I will look the other up when when I have done my shopping. The 1968 book is in a different format and is 375 pages.)

Big Jumby 74

The 18.20 Ilfracombe ran to Exeter St D.
The images in the book that show said captions have more than four on. D854 leaving Ilfracombe has eight Mk1's in tow, which would appear to be, in order from loco back; TSO(or SK), CK, BSK, TSO (or SK), BSK, TSO (or SK), CK and TSO (or SK). Terms used being those I worked to back in the day, and I appreciate this is only an educated guess from what is not that clear (detail wise) a picture.

The other image of D817 running in to Braunton on the 'UP', there are five Mk1's in view as the train negotiates the slew, which might be: TSO (or SK), BSK?, TSO (or SK), TSO (or SK), 5th vehicle unidentifiable completely, and any further vehicles out of sight, as view taken from very edge of Down platform, facing North. This edition of the book I purchased as new in 1978 for the princely sum of £1-50. Whether the current version advertised for sale variously is a straight reprint or updated in any way, I have no idea?

Gloster

Established Member
The images in the book that show said captions have more than four on. D854 leaving Ilfracombe has eight Mk1's in tow, which would appear to be, in order from loco back; TSO(or SK), CK, BSK, TSO (or SK), BSK, TSO (or SK), CK and TSO (or SK). Terms used being those I worked to back in the day, and I appreciate this is only an educated guess from what is not that clear (detail wise) a picture.

I missed that it was two of the Newton Abbot sets (2xSO, BSK, CK; at least in theory).

Roughly, it looks as though in 1968 the 13.05 from Paddington and 11.10 from Ilfracombe were the same formation as 1979 except for an SK instead of the RU. The 13.05 then worked the 18.20 to Exeter St Davids, while the the 11.05 was formed off the 07.30 Paignton.

I’ve found a couple of photos of them up there but this is the only one I can find on my phone at the moment. Unfortunately I haven’t a clue who took it or where it came from so no details of the date etc.

View attachment 139218

It is more likely to be 1972 or 1973 as the head code for the Barnstaple was 1A99; in 1971 it was 1A41. The loop seems to have been lifted fairly quickly.

Last edited:

Cymroglan

Marginally off topic, but is there any sort of tribute to the railway in a museum or other public space in Ilfracombe? I’m thinking of the modest but lovely S&D displays at Blandford Forum museum and at Sturminster Newton museum.
It’s been a very long time since I last visited Ilfracombe, but I may be heading that way with extended family next month and wouldn’t want to miss any small display or exhibition. Any information appreciated!

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Marginally off topic, but is there any sort of tribute to the railway in a museum or other public space in Ilfracombe? I’m thinking of the modest but lovely S&D displays at Blandford Forum museum and at Sturminster Newton museum.
It’s been a very long time since I last visited Ilfracombe, but I may be heading that way with extended family next month and wouldn’t want to miss any small display or exhibition. Any information appreciated!
not that i saw in my recent visit but that doesn't mean there isn't!

Gloster

Established Member

Ilfracombe Museum’s website lists quite a few collections, but nothing at all to do with the railway. Reviews suggest that some people see it as a fascinating and eclectic collection, others as a load of miscellaneous junk. Take your pick (there’s probably one in there).

Taunton

Established Member
I can't recall, did the Paddington service reverse at Exeter St Davids, or did it run from Castle Cary via Yeovil to avoid doing so - or did it do different things in different years.

The climb up from Ilfracombe to Mortehoe was indeed stiff, and I wonder what happened in the rain when it was single line at the end if they couldn't make it. There was in the 1960s normally a D63xx in the yard at Barnstaple, but did it even have a crew on Saturdays? I only did Ilfracombe (twice) in a dmu, which was about 20mph flat out on the way up, with a handful of passengers, plus several minutes standing at Mortehoe, as they were still using steam timings, which must have been slower still. One of the advantages of the Hymeks with one engine was all the wheels were effectively coupled, whereas Warships with two engines and transmissions were notably prone to the front bogie slipping, even starting from Taunton station on the level on a wet day.

Vaguely in the area the station and SB at Instow has been nicely restored for the Tarka Trail and there are revivialists at Bideford and Torrington. Plus, of course, the Lynton and Barnstaple at Woody Bay.

Big Jumby 74

Marginally off topic, but is there any sort of tribute to the railway in a museum or other public space in Ilfracombe?
I remember seeing one of the nameplates from 34017 up on a wall in a museum (in Ilfracombe) in the summer of 1975, but can't remember if anything else (badge/scroll/smoke box number plate etc) accompanied it? No idea if the museum or its contents still exist afraid..

Veteran Member
I can't recall, did the Paddington service reverse at Exeter St Davids, or did it run from Castle Cary via Yeovil to avoid doing so - or did it do different things in different years.
Think it went via Yeovil the first year (65) - or possibly in and out of Central to avoid blocking St D when I think it had a Bude portion.
From 67 that wasn't possible as the LSW had been singled.

Gloster

Established Member

It did run via Pen Mill in one year (not sure which), but possibly just for that year. I have seen a photo of it coming into Yeovil Junction from Pen Mill with a Hymek on the front.

Cymroglan

Many thanks for all the helpful leads regarding my off topic question. Assuming the jaunt goes ahead (and that’s out of my control!), I will post any finds here! It’s always exciting to find railway stuff in local museums etc.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I am always surprised the line closed so late - a year or two more and we might still be running trains up that way although that curved bridge in Barnstaple always looks like a closure waiting tpo happen!

Yes tantalisingly late really, with 25063 and an inspection saloon making it up there 1975. I bet that bridge was vibrating away when that went over!

Irascible

Established Member
I can even remember tracks still there at Braunton when we were on our way to the beach, although I was extremely small. There was a surviving level crossing for a couple more years after the rails went up ( when that got removed I dunno, we started going to Woolacombe instead of Saunton ).

I've mentioned elswhere that I think this was one of those slgihtly lost opportunities ( given even BR took another look in the 70s they must have been a little on the edge too ), but it's completely understandable given the staffing the thing needed why it didn't make it.

Gloster

Established Member
Don't think it was as late as 75 as I remember visiting Mortehoe and Ilfracombe stations around Easter 75 and they were decidedly track-free.

Photos on the Cornwall Railways Society site dated 7 June 1975 show track intact right through to Ilfracombe.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Don't think it was as late as 75 as I remember visiting Mortehoe and Ilfracombe stations around Easter 75 and they were decidedly track-free.

That run was done in February 1975 I believe.

Ashley Hill

Established Member
Yes tantalisingly late really, with 25063 and an inspection saloon making it up there 1975. I bet that bridge was vibrating away when that went over!
A few years ago I tried identifying the crew on that train. Whilst the shunter seen on the ground was identified (based at Barnstaple) nobody could identify the chap in the cab. A couple of retired drivers who were at the time young secondmen remember the competition to get the turn. Alas nobody could remember who got it or who the driver and guard was.

Big Jumby 74

Photos on the Cornwall Railways Society site dated 7 June 1975 show track intact right through to Ilfracombe.
That is correct. It was June 75 when I visited with the family, I being in my teens. Took a few (very poor by today's standards) photo's, at Braunton, Mortehoe and Ilfracombe, even posing for a shot whilst leaning on the gradient post alongside Mortehoe Down yard as was, where the 1 in 40 climb eased to what looks (in the photo) like 1 in 268 through the station.
A pic of sorts I took attached here taken from the top of the signal box steps at Ilfracombe.

Attachments

• BJ-Ilfracombe station June 1975.jpg
    BJ-Ilfracombe station June 1975.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 82

Ash Bridge

Established Member
A few years ago I tried identifying the crew on that train. Whilst the shunter seen on the ground was identified (based at Barnstaple) nobody could identify the chap in the cab. A couple of retired drivers who were at the time young secondmen remember the competition to get the turn. Alas nobody could remember who got it or who the driver and guard was.
I imagine whoever the driver was will be well advanced in years now, perhaps at least 90+ would you reckon @Ashley Hill?

Gloster

Established Member
That is correct. It was June 75 when I visited with the family, I being in my teens. Took a few (very poor by today's standards) photo's, at Braunton, Mortehoe and Ilfracombe, even posing for a shot whilst leaning on the gradient post alongside Mortehoe Down yard as was, where the 1 in 40 climb eased to what looks (in the photo) like 1 in 268 through the station.
A pic of sorts I took attached here taken from the top of the signal box steps at Ilfracombe.

I don’t think I have seen many, if any, photos taken from that angle. Very interesting.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

What a wonderful snapshot in time. That must be one of the last photos taken of the station with track still in place @Big Jumby 74.

So does anyone have a firm date of when the track was lifted?

Ashley Hill

Established Member
I imagine whoever the driver was will be well advanced in years now, perhaps at least 90+ would you reckon @Ashley Hill?
Very probably in the great shunting yard in the sky but there are still plenty of retired drivers who were young secondmen at the time. I’ve also tried finding out who the crew were on the last Hemyock train in 1975 ,also hauled by 25063,but to no avail.

So does anyone have a firm date of when the track was lifted?
The river bridge at Barnstaple went in 1977 forever ending any resurrection of the line.

Last edited:

Harvester

Established Member
The river bridge at Barnstaple went in 1977 forever ending any resurrection of the line.
Was the condition of the Taw rail bridge a factor in closing the Barnstaple-Ilfracombe section of the route? It was old and looked in photographs to be in need of costly repairs, or even replacement, towards the end.

Ashley Hill

Established Member
Thanks for that @Ashley Hill. Do you know if anything else went up the line later than 25063 with the saloon?
AFAIK that was the last train. I don’t know if any demolition trains operated ,the John Nicholas book might shed some light if they did.
An 08 and a couple of wagons traversed the line sometime after closure in the early 70s. It collected what could be described as useful assets from the stations. I think there might be a photo of it on an old thread from a few years ago. One item it didn’t get was the stool from the goods office at Ilfracombe. This was taken by a relief signalman who after retiring moved to Eggesford station house. One day he passed it over the fence as he’d heard I liked old railway stuff.

An 08 and a couple of wagons traversed the line sometime after closure in the early 70s. It collected what could be described as useful assets from the stations.
Here’s a photo of it from Facebook.

The 08 was allocated to NA at the time.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.