• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

1982/3 cross country hst's

Status
Not open for further replies.

diyceejay

Hi,
I'm attempting to formulate hst workings for this time table period, and am struggling to find any information on the SO 1V63 Derby-Penzance unit and the units movements either side of this trip.
If anybody can help I'd be grateful!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Magdalia

Established Member
Looking at the PTT an obvious possible return working is 1510 Penzance-Sheffield.

I did wonder whether it might be an MML HST but not sure there were any of those in 1982?

Last edited:

Norm_D_Ploom

There used to be one just after 6pm on a Saturday from New St. Was very popular with people returning from Villa Park.

Was often a tight squeeze mind, especially if you wanted to wait for an Argus final!

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Hi,
I'm attempting to formulate hst workings for this time table period, and am struggling to find any information on the SO 1V63 Derby-Penzance unit and the units movements either side of this trip.
If anybody can help I'd be grateful!
From the May 1982 London Midland Region Passenger Train Marshalling, HST workings (southbound).

The SO 0720 Derby-Penzance (until 2nd October), previous working - 1702 FO from Plymouth. HST NE-SW set

Scan of page:
Screenshot_20220125-105023_Samsung Internet.jpg

Magdalia

Established Member
There used to be one just after 6pm on a Saturday from New St. Was very popular with people returning from Villa Park.

Was often a tight squeeze mind, especially if you wanted to wait for an Argus final!
In 1982/83 HSTs from Birmingham to Derby were 1750 and 1850, with an all stations DMU at 1800.

Delaying an hour for the Birmingham Sports Argus would have been a tough call, it was the best sports paper in the land. The crowd waiting for it to arrive at the newsagents on the New Street footbridge was a weekly event.

Norm_D_Ploom

Must have been the 1750 we got then, although I did have 1803 in my mind for some reason, Derby, Sheffield then donny before ECML.

I loved the Argus especially the flashfacts.

I would sometimes have time for a visit to Casey Jones and a paper, sometimes it was one or the other. The Sports Argus always won !

Status
Not open for further replies.