• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

1996TS questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

EJD799

Is it possible for the 1996TS to run on the Northern Line and vice-versa?

Also, is it true that the 1996TS could be replaced early due to the PSDs being in bad condition?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bramling

Veteran Member

No. However 96 has visited the Northern Line in the form of being tested on the Highgate test track. AFAICR the transfers were done with battery locos providing the power, I don’t recall any moving under their own power. But I may be misremembering!

Also, is it true that the 1996TS could be replaced early due to the PSDs being in bad condition?

Not really a thing at the moment, but there are increasing issues with the 96 stock. They have never been quite as bullet proof as the Northern Line trains for various reasons, and this will probably become more of an issue over time. But LU have enough on their plate with the 72 and 92 stock fleets to be worrying too much about Jubilee fleet replacement.

MCR247

Established Member

PSDs?

MCR247

Established Member
Platform Screen Doors, however the Jubilee Line Extension has only Platform Edge Doors (the difference being airflow separation up above).

Ah I thought so but then doubted myself as PED unreliability causing a fleet of trains to be replaced early would be extreme even in a universe where the tail wags the dog

EJD799

Ah I thought so but then doubted myself as PED unreliability causing a fleet of trains to be replaced early would be extreme even in a universe where the tail wags the dog
A new fleet would (probably) have a different door spacing, so replacing the unreliable PEDs would be a waste of money, since the 96 stock will most likely be replaced in about 10-20 years.

MCR247

Established Member
A new fleet would (probably) have a different door spacing, so replacing the unreliable PEDs would be a waste of money, since the 96 stock will most likely be replaced in about 10-20 years.
Indeed, but replacing stock 10-20 years early isn’t any less of a waste of money.

As you say a new fleet would likely have different door spacing so the PEDs are going to have to be replaced anyway. That will fix the problem (if there is one) on its own.

mackeral1234

Why would the new fleet be different door spacing... With London Underground tube trains are normally bespoke for the line it had been ordered for due to many other factors like the size of the bore, curvatures etc. So it would be design to fit the exist platform as well.

EJD799

Indeed, but replacing stock 10-20 years early isn’t any less of a waste of money.

As you say a new fleet would likely have different door spacing so the PEDs are going to have to be replaced anyway. That will fix the problem (if there is one) on its own.
The 96 stock could be transferred to another line, such as perhaps the Central and Waterloo & City lines instead of doing NTfL on those lines.

MCR247

Established Member
The 96 stock could be transferred to another line, such as perhaps the Central and Waterloo & City lines instead of doing NTfL on those lines.
I feel like you’re missing my point. Why would they go through the expense of ordering new trains when they could just replace the PEDs (which they’ll need to replace anyway)

xtmw

The 96 stock would have to be made compatible with the existing ATO/ATP systems on the Central Line. You are talking quite a few upgrades for this stock to be transferred to another line.

bramling

Veteran Member
The 96 stock would have to be made compatible with the existing ATO/ATP systems on the Central Line. You are talking quite a few upgrades for this stock to be transferred to another line.

Very difficult to make another stock compatible with the Central Line ATP. At one point there was a plan to transfer the Waterloo & City units over (the W&C would have used surplus 72 stock from the Northern Line). This project was killed because it was considered too difficult modifying these units for the Central Line, and that was when the stock was less than ten years old.

Also there aren’t enough 96 stock trains to cover the Central Line.

The only transfer that I could have seen happening, pre Covid, is some 96 stock being converted for the Northern Line. It was a tentative plan, but with the post Covid situation it is very far down the list of things to do. I can’t see the Jubilee fleet being replaced ahead of the Piccadilly, Central and Bakerloo lines now. The main rationale for replacing the Jubilee fleet was simply that there weren’t enough 96 stock trains to provide the desired level of service, but this just isn’t an issue now.

321over360

96 Stock wouldnt be compatible with the Central or Waterloo & City Lines, the Drain being unable to accomodate the longer length of the carriages, as i believe when the 92 stock was introduced works had to be done by NSE to make them fit on the line, and on the Central Line you wouldnt be able to run at Line Speed like the 92s can again due to the carriages being longer than the 92 stock and the tight curves in particular between Shepherds Bush and White City where the TRT had to run so slowly there due to the trailer being a 73 stock trailer so it didnt hit the tunnel walls if it went at correct linespeed

Established Member
Maybe one for a new thread, but are there any 96TS long term out of service?

There's two that I need, 96049 and 96126. I check Intertube every time I'm in London Nd they're never out.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Maybe one for a new thread, but are there any 96TS long term out of service?

There's two that I need, 96049 and 96126. I check Intertube every time I'm in London Nd they're never out.
You might want to put that in the Stock requests thread stickied at the top of this forum.

Central

These units are long term stopped and are round the back of SMD out of sight and covered in tarpaulin.Was a photo in LURS magazine couple of months ago.(LURS=London Underground Railway Society)

Status
Not open for further replies.