• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

19th July Lockdown Easing - Observations and Compliance

Status
Not open for further replies.

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
Most people here still wear masks on public transport and shops, though less and less people are wearing them since the mask mandate was removed.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dave91131

I had a day in London on Saturday, "spinning around" on various units and lines.

Overall I'd estimate 20% of people were wearing masks onboard trains. Interestingly I'd say the figure was lower on the Watford DC services where (supposedly) masks are still mandatory. No evidence of anybody being turned away for not wearing a mask like Sadiq Khan said they would be, off topic but what a prat that bloke is.

Compliance a little higher on the few Tube lines (Central, Northern and Victoria) that I briefly used for short hops between main line terminii, but not by
much. 30-40% mask compliance estimated.

A few death stares from some who clearly think masks should be worn everywhere for ever, I can only assume they were giving this treatment to all of us not wearing masks and not just myself.

Kez

Compliance a little higher on the few Tube lines (Central, Northern and Victoria) that I briefly used for short hops between main line terminii, but not by

A few death stares from some who clearly think masks should be worn everywhere for ever, I can only assume they were giving this treatment to all of us not wearing masks and not just myself.

Is the last bit really necessary ? I mean, pre-Covid, were London trains full of happy people with smiling eyes ? Don't you think you may be over-interpreting and seeing what you want to see ?

You want pre-Covid, you get pre-Covid. Miserable people on the underground (or wherever) , shock.

Maybe a chip on the old shoulder ?

HST274

Or maybe they are just sticklers for rules. I will no longer wear one on national rail but I would be more likely to on the tube just cause its a law and it doesn't harm me, not that I would give death stares to those who don't or care if they don't.

NorthKent1989

Established Member
Is the last bit really necessary ? I mean, pre-Covid, were London trains full of happy people with smiling eyes ? Don't you think you may be over-interpreting and seeing what you want to see ?

You want pre-Covid, you get pre-Covid. Miserable people on the underground (or wherever) , shock.

He’s only saying what he’s observed which is the point of this thread, the fact is there are those who still wear masks who have given others stares, admittedly it’s a low number of people but it is tiresome, I had a man yesterday snidely make a comment about my lack of a mask, I simply told him to stay at home if he feels unsafe and not make others feel uncomfortable, he soon kept quiet, we need to move on from Covid now and return to 2019 levels of normality

I had a day in London on Saturday, "spinning around" on various units and lines.

Overall I'd estimate 20% of people were wearing masks onboard trains. Interestingly I'd say the figure was lower on the Watford DC services where (supposedly) masks are still mandatory. No evidence of anybody being turned away for not wearing a mask like Sadiq Khan said they would be, off topic but what a prat that bloke is.

The deep level tubes do have a higher level of compliance than the Sub surface and London Overground lines I’ve noticed.

Berliner

Was it not fairly common to see mask wearing on the tube before Covid anyway? Especially on the deep tube lines, due to the filthy air.

Certainly when I lived in London years ago it wasn't unknown to see a handful of people wearing them. I know when I'm on the tube now and wearing one, if I blow my nose afterwards there is less dirt on the tissue. For that reason alone I can't see me ditching the mask on the tube any time soon.

Domh245

Established Member
Was it not fairly common to see mask wearing on the tube before Covid anyway? Especially on the deep tube lines, due to the filthy air.

You might very occasionally have seen someone wearing a mask, but it was not by any means "common"

Berliner

You might very occasionally have seen someone wearing a mask, but it was not by any means "common"

That's a matter of opinion or personal observation. I'd say on every tube journey I made there were a few people wearing a mask a few years ago, but I wasn't a daily user by any means. Indeed I knew people who wore masks on the tube back in 2006 when I used to go and visit them before moved to London.

Darandio

Established Member
That's a matter of opinion or personal observation. I'd say on every tube journey I made there were a few people wearing a mask a few years ago, but I wasn't a daily user by any means. Indeed I knew people who wore masks on the tube back in 2006 when I used to go and visit them before moved to London.

You can still observe how it was it now, there's thousands upon thousands of hours of pre-2020 tube footage on Youtube especially lengthy stuff from 'slow tv' style channels. Someone else suggested a few months ago that it was pretty common to see them pre-Covid so I actually watched quite a bit of this footage and in all honesty I struggled to find anyone wearing a mask.

Dave91131

Perhaps I should have been clearer - the death stares (and for what it's worth I don't think I'm over-interpreting) were all from people wearing masks in settings where they were not required; i.e. not on TfL or London Overground services.

If we want to talk about whether something is really necessary, perhaps it should be whether it's necessary for those individuals to glare disapprovingly at others who have made a personal choice rather than simply minding their own bloody business.

Pre-Covid on the Tube I found eye contact with others very rare, as most eyes were fixated on phone screens or similar.

No chips on shoulders here, I can assure you of that. Saying it in plain English however, yes.

NorthKent1989

Established Member

Ive been using the tube my entire life and the only time I ever saw someone wearing a mask on a tube was an Asian tourist, and even then it was very few and far between, mask have never been a major thing pre 2020.

35B

Established Member
Ok so big public gatherings pubs and travel restrictons formed a key part of an influenza pandemic plan right? Let's have a look at the 2011 version (so after your early 2000s reference).

No reference to closing pubs or restaurants
Large gatherings:" There is very limited evidence that restrictions on mass gatherings will have any significant effect"
Travel restrictions: "There is also a lack of scientific evidence on the impact of internal travel restrictions on transmission"
Conclusion: "For these reasons, the working presumption will be that Government will not impose any such restrictions."

Not being rude but do you actually check this stuff before posting it?

And what I am saying (and others such as the paper from Stanford university) is that globally, there is no clear correlation between implementing harsh NPIs and outcomes.
If you are quoting Stanford, peer reviewed or not, it's only fair to observe that their reputation has not generally been considered to have improved during the last 18 months.

Berliner

Ive been using the tube my entire life and the only time I ever saw someone wearing a mask on a tube was an Asian tourist, and even then it was very few and far between, mask have never been a major thing pre 2020.

No it's never been a major thing, I never stated it was, however I definitely used to see people wearing them on most of my tube rides.

In any event I'm more minded to keep wearing one due to the dirty air on the deep tubes.

DustyBin

Established Member

Likewise, I saw very few people if any wearing masks pre-covid. I was in London for two weeks in February 2020 and I can remember a man getting on the tube at Liverpool Street wearing a mask and thinking “how odd” and I noticed a few people looking and passing comment to their partners etc. as well. Definitely not the norm back then!

NorthKent1989

Established Member
Likewise, I saw very few people if any wearing masks pre-covid. I was in London for two weeks in February 2020 and I can remember a man getting on the tube at Liverpool Street wearing a mask and thinking “how odd” and I noticed a few people looking and passing comment to their partners etc. as well. Definitely not the norm back then!

Same, seeing a mask was an odd sight, I still struggle to get used to it.

I think the mandate will end eventually but even then I think the masks will be here to stay, even if it’s 40-50% of commuters wear them.

DustyBin

Established Member
Same, seeing a mask was an odd sight, I still struggle to get used to it.

I think the mandate will end eventually but even then I think the masks will be here to stay, even if it’s 40-50% of commuters wear them.

Some people will continue to wear them indefinitely, maybe not 40-50% but there will be some. I genuinely feel sorry for those who now fear the very air we breathe, psychologically that can’t be a good place to be.

Mask wearing on the Tyne & Wear Metro yesterday afternoon seemed (surprisingly) low, no more than 20% including those worn incorrectly. I only saw two people wearing masks in the various pubs and bars we visited and they appeared to be in the aforementioned “fearful of the air we breathe” category sadly. They were a couple sat outside but who came in to order at the bar, whereby both were pulling their surgical masks tight to their face by the loops with one hand, whilst using the other to shape it around their nose. It actually looked like they were giving everybody the “V” if that helps visualise it. Absolutely bizarre but they clearly felt very strongly about protecting those around them! ;)

NorthKent1989

Established Member
Some people will continue to wear them indefinitely, maybe not 40-50% but there will be some. I genuinely feel sorry for those who now fear the very air we breathe, psychologically that can’t be a good place to be.

Mask wearing on the Tyne & Wear Metro yesterday afternoon seemed (surprisingly) low, no more than 20% including those worn incorrectly. I only saw two people wearing masks in the various pubs and bars we visited and they appeared to be in the aforementioned “fearful of the air we breathe” category sadly. They were a couple sat outside but who came in to order at the bar, whereby both were pulling their surgical masks tight to their face by the loops with one hand, whilst using the other to shape it around their nose. It actually looked like they were giving everybody the “V” if that helps visualise it. Absolutely bizarre but they clearly felt very strongly about protecting those around them! ;)

I just got off the Croydon Tram and I travelled from East Croydon to Beckenham and I only saw about a total of ten people wearing a mask throughout my entire journey, I then got a 227 bus where I would say masks were 60% worn.

I must say for all that Khan was banging on about mandating masks he and TfL aren’t exactly enforcing the rule, I never even heard a mask announcement either.

As for that couple doing the V sign to firm up their mask a bit more, I reckon it was an excuse to swear at people ;)

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Was just at Liverpool Lime Street (low level) and the platform was as busy as it ever has been. I’d estimate that those not wearing masks were (only just) in the majority.

Then as we went through Liverpool Central, the platform was even busier, and I counted less than 10 masks.

This is despite Merseyrail persisting with their “wear one out of respect” guff.

Nobody had any issues sitting next to/opposite strangers on the train, either.

All the daft taping/floor markings gone as well.

Pleasing to see things slowly getting back to normal.

kingston_toon

I flew into London City Airport around 20:00 last night after spending the weekend in Germany and took the DLR to Bank for the Northern line home. Mask wearing on the DLR was around 50 / 50, though I was a bit worried for an older German woman who started remonstrating with a group of yoof about their lack of masks as they didn't appreciate her approach. Onto the Northern line and wow - mask usage on the platform and on-train down around 20% with a fairly large sample. This surprised me as I use the Northern line most days and compliance has always been much higher than this, even late into the evening.

Back in Germany, compliance was universally 100%, even at 03:00 on a packed U-Bahn with people coming back from pubs, clubs etc. Also, FFP2 masks are mandated there (with some allowances for surgical masks) and I'm extremely glad we haven't been forced to wear those here in the UK - tight, extremely uncomfortable to wear, genuinely harder to breathe, glasses constantly steamed up etc. I get these probably work better, but I won't complain again about having to wear my dirty, year-old, lightweight cotton mask that's so loose it almost won't stay over my ears!

Last edited:

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
On a Metrobus 291 bus I went on today, only about 3 people (including myself) out of a total of about 8 were wearing masks.

Freightmaster

Established Member
I flew into London City Airport around 20:00 last night after spending the weekend in Germany and took the DLR to Bank for the Northern line home. Mask wearing on the DLR was around 50 / 50, though I was a bit worried for an older German woman who started reomstrating with a group of yoof about their lack of masks as they didn't appreciate her approach...
Did she say "Achtung, babies!"? ;)

MARK

martin2345uk

Established Member
Greater Anglia service to Liverpool Street and I’m again surprised how many masked faces there are, I’m in the vast minority without one.

LowLevel

Established Member
Most passengers on the trains I've been working have been wearing masks, despite my employer quite actively removing almost all COVID signage. That being said I've routinely been cramming over 100 passengers into 2 carriages over the last few weeks so it's probably a bit busier than they've become used to.

No age divider or anything like that either, teenagers/20 somethings as likely to be wearing them as 70 year olds.

DustyBin

Established Member
I’ve reported previously that I find Sainsbury’s the most “masky” supermarket and that’s still the case, however there was a noticeable decrease yesterday. I’d still say 60-70% of people were wearing a mask but things are moving in the right direction.

J-2739

Established Member
I do wonder where people do find these nosy 'curtain twitchers' from. I've just spent a week travelling around the Tube maskless, and nobody seemed to blink an eye, even on packed carriages. Seems like people really do mind their business down there.

DustyBin

Established Member
I do wonder where people do find these nosy 'curtain twitchers' from. I've just spent a week travelling around the Tube maskless, and nobody seemed to blink an eye, even on packed carriages. Seems like people really do mind their business down there.

I can’t say that I’ve experienced any funny looks, comments etc. myself but my GF has on one occasion. I suspect like most bullies these people are very selective when it comes to choosing their targets!

NorthKent1989

Established Member
I can’t say that I’ve experienced any funny looks, comments etc. myself but my GF has on one occasion. I suspect like most bullies these people are very selective when it comes to choosing their targets!

Yes I’ve noticed there have cases where people have been very selective with who they target and it is bullying.

Ive not much bother with people but I have intervened when my grandmother who is mask exempt was being bothered by a young couple accusing her of breaking social distancing rules all the while coming closer to her, I told them to stay home if they were that concerned with the rules and to stop harassing my elderly, partially disabled grandmother.

seagull

West Midlands area stations yesterday showing a noticeable decrease in face coverings compared to a week ago. A gradual change.

I became immune to death stares from fellow travellers many years ago when having to travel on the London Underground, sometimes during peak times, as a student in jeans and with rucksack, to and from place of education. :lol:

johnnychips

Established Member
I went to the chippy this dinner time (1300 for you southerners) and a large bloke with tattoos wearing a mask was waiting outside, despite only two people being in. When someone went outside with their order, I followed him in, possibly expecting a mouthful. Instead he said, ‘I can’t stand waiting in chipshops, it’s just too hot’ and we talked about the merits of the pie vs fish special offer.

Jimini

Established Member
I went to the chippy this dinner time (1300 for you southerners) and a large bloke with tattoos wearing a mask was waiting outside, despite only two people being in. When someone went outside with their order, I followed him in, possibly expecting a mouthful. Instead he said, ‘I can’t stand waiting in chipshops, it’s just too hot’ and we talked about the merits of the pie vs fish special offer.

So lunchtime then :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.