• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

1c99 to penzance sleeper

Status
Not open for further replies.

mralexn

anyone got any idea whats going on?
from what ive heard 57603 has failed at paddington, 605 has come to rescue it but they then realised there is not enough oil, last i heard an 08 was taking the whole set to OOC , its currently 158OD

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

fgwrich

Established Member
from what ive heard 57603 has failed at paddington, 605 has come to rescue it but they then realised there is not enough oil, last i heard an 08 was taking the whole set to OOC , its currently 158OD

Great! Sadly, it wouldnt supprise me if it had failed in Padd - The Night Rivera was pretty late in arriving into Paddington tonight - I left Padd on the 22:45 to Swansea - It was arriving into Padd at 22:37!, Coupled with the fact that 603 was sounding rather silent on the front end as my HST Left!

57605 was leading the set into Paddington by the way - so with that trapped on the blocks, 602 was the 57 Sent from OOC

Still not another good night for the Night Rivera though :( Perhaps its time to consider either hiring VTs other 57/3s (Ones not in use with VT or Network Rail - If there is any!) And doing an ATW...Or Perhaps a replacement of the 57s with hired in DBS 67s (Though apparently even they have ETS Problems too!)

Or of course, they could go back to the use of some lovely mainlined 47s - Conviniently also painted in blue...47813...47818...47832 - Undergoing yet another repaint, unfortunatly not blue!...Hmmm, 47s on the Night Rivera, Just like the Old Days :D

kyrano

57309 with me on board heading to Padd ex 21.45 pz
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

57309 on hire to fgw .

bnm

Established Member
Set was dragged back to OOC by a Class 08 to re-marshal the working Class 57 onto the country end. Then pulled back into PAD by the shunter.

Left at 0245. 180 minutes down. Time for another spirited run down the Berks & Hants!

bnm

Established Member
Now only 70 down thanks to the waiting time at Taunton.

And in no small part also thanks to the gallop down the Berks & Hants. Tonight 1C99 managed the run from Reading - Taunton (107.69 miles) in 73 minutes! That's a whole minute faster than the quickest timetable run by a HST! 1C99 is timetabled to do that section of the journey in 113 minutes (although that timetabling takes account of the various routes the sleeper can take), so 40 minutes were 'saved' with that spirited run.

107.69 miles in 73 minutes is a start to stop average speed of 88.51mph.

Impressive stuff to beat Monday nights 76 minute run. More so if tonight's Down Night Riviera was hauling an extra coach as it usually does on its Friday night departure.

Last edited:

kestrel

The gronk went out to fetch it back and buggered all of us trying to get back to the depot as only the E&C was open took over an hour to get back to the oak last night(this morning!),

Anyway class 47's were no better than a 57 as they needed 6 to do the work of 4! and a 57 still has quite a few of the inherrent 47 issues.

Goldfish62

Established Member
I really don't understand why FGW didn't dump the 57s and lease 67s instead. Maybe it will happen with the new franchise.

Status
Not open for further replies.