• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

1S55 delayed between Cheltenham and Bromsgrove Sat 13 March

Status
Not open for further replies.

rower40

Rather overshadowed by the Kirkby incident, but...
Anyone know what happened here? Train came to a stand 2 or 3 signal sections short of Stoke Works junction, waited there for about two hours, then backed out to Abbotswood Junction, diverted via Droitwich, and terminated at Birmingham over 3 hours late. It's normally the last through service to Edinburgh (arr 2300 hrs) so what did the passengers do? Especially as all hotels are shut.
Most unusually - as soon as 1S55 cleared Abbotwood Junction to go via Droitwich, other trains then used the direct line that 1S55 had just spent 2 anna half hours on. They (1M84, 1E73 if memory serves) got through OK.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Anyone know what happened here? Train came to a stand 2 or 3 signal sections short of Stoke Works junction, waited there for about two hours, then backed out to Abbotswood Junction, diverted via Droitwich, and terminated at Birmingham over 3 hours late. It's normally the last through service to Edinburgh (arr 2300 hrs) so what did the passengers do? Especially as all hotels are shut.
Most unusually - as soon as 1S55 cleared Abbotwood Junction to go via Droitwich, other trains then used the direct line that 1S55 had just spent 2 anna half hours on. They (1M84, 1E73 if memory serves) got through OK.
Landslide

Nippy

Bank slip reported, train set back, but by the time that had happened and it diverted the Pway turned up and reopened the line so all other train went booked route.

_toommm_

Established Member
The train was VSTP’d and a new unit restarted the journey from New Street as 1Z55.

Hotels are currently open for essential purposes, but I’m not sure if there would have been taxis or a coach out on as that’s normally the preferred method IIRC.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member

Were you on it yourself or just tracking it ?

Last edited:

rower40

Were you on it yourself or just tracking it ?
Just watching on opentraintimes. Odd to see signals going back to danger "backwards" as it reversed out of the section.
I wondered about passengers on board who wanted to go beyond Birmingham. Would've been a late arrival in Edinburgh.

Thanks for the info everyone.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I was on a southbound service that got diverted via Droitwich / Worcester. NRE and announcements at Cheltenham Spa stated "a problem under investigation" but the guard on my train stated "signalling problems".

Deepgreen

Established Member
I was on a southbound service that got diverted via Droitwich / Worcester. NRE and announcements at Cheltenham Spa stated "a problem under investigation" but the guard on my train stated "signalling problems".
Yes - 'signalling problems' is a much-used cover-all for delays, because, even if the signals are not faulty as such, the fact that one is at danger (for whatever reason) is a problem!

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
The train was VSTP’d and a new unit restarted the journey from New Street as 1Z55.

Hotels are currently open for essential purposes, but I’m not sure if there would have been taxis or a coach out on as that’s normally the preferred method IIRC.
If anyone had been stuck away from home overnight, a hotel would have been allowed to let them stay (as one of the endorsed reasons is that you are "unable to stay at/return to home").

Status
Not open for further replies.