• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

2 Abandoned Stations Between Sturry and Minster (Kent)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know the names of these two stations and the history of them, the remains of both platforms is on one and further up towards Minster there is a single platform next to a building which I presume is an old signal box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CyrusWuff

Established Member
Wikipedia gives them as Chislet Colliery Halt and Grove Ferry & Upstreet. There's no page for the former, but it shows the latter as being opened on 13th April 1846 and closed to freight on 30th April 1960, and passengers on 3rd January 1966.

steamybrian

Established Member
Chislet Colliery Halt opened in 1920 and closed 4 October 1971. It may have remained opened for staff for a short period afterwards for the signalman as road access was difficult.
Amazingly the platforms still survive in situ some 46 years after closure. The shell of the signalbox built in the late 1950s/early 1960s still survives.

At the site of Grove Ferry & Upstreet station a few fragments of the down platform survive but the up platform and station buildings were entirely demolished after closure.

(Footnote--- my 1,000th posting)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.