• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

2 hand co-ordination

Status
Not open for further replies.

AllThatJazz

Hi all. I have my 2nd stage assessments coming up.

Looking for a bit of advice on the 2 hand test. Does the test beep if the ball merely touches the line or does the ball have to go completely off track?

I have a computerised practice test which seems a bit pointless when using a keyboard. The practice test does not penalise me for touching a line, only if the ball goes completely out of it.

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

19pop

On the test I found the balls may move even when sticks are at the neutral postion.

Be sure to keep your hands on the sticks at all times and get a feel for the movement before starting the test

Applepie356

I’d like to know how this test is scored. But I’ve made multiple mistakes doing this test (yes, I rushed) but still managed to pass, probably worth mentioning that I quickly rectified the errors.

L401CJF

Established Member
Worth pointing out you get a trial run before the real test. The trial only ends when you cross the line, if you let wiggle the ball back to the start without crossing the line you can have a few goes to get used to it before starting the real thing.

Stigy

Established Member
I’d like to know how this test is scored. But I’ve made multiple mistakes doing this test (yes, I rushed) but still managed to pass, probably worth mentioning that I quickly rectified the errors.
You’ve hit the nail on the head there to be honest. It’s not about keeping the ball/dot within the lines, so much as it is about rectifying yourself when you do venture off course. Obviously if you went off course to excess (just went rogue in your own direction), you’d probably fail the test though :D

Dan61

This is the only test I didn't meet the enhanced Mark on for WMT. I met national levels. Is this past about speed or accuracy of the pattern. As I can recall 3 or.4 times it bleepes

Stigy

Established Member
This is the only test I didn't meet the enhanced Mark on for WMT. I met national levels. Is this past about speed or accuracy of the pattern. As I can recall 3 or.4 times it bleepes
I didn't think any of the computer based tests had an enhanced standard?

Trogladyte

I didn't think any of the computer based tests had an enhanced standard?

Thats what I thought until WMT told me that I had passed everything to their enhanced except this one so they couldnt progress my application

Tgh75

It’s about how you react....if you flounder and take longer than anticipated to get the ball within the constraints that’s what may result in a fail. If your calm and relax you will be fine.

slightly different controls but it reminded me of guiding the loop around the electrical wire! Everytime you touch It prompts you to readjust and go again. It’s not about being perfect! It is designed to go out of line! It’s about how quick you react and your demeanour.

it’s all about composure, using a foreign hand setting for guidance of the ball. Kind of corresponds with the instruments used to control a train.

I had a days warning then I was in Doncaster to do my tests. Night before I stayed in a hotel went for a pint, breezed lightly over my revision material and arrived with a clear head in the am.

best advice is not to overthink it. I know that’s easy to say as I’ve passed it now. Try to block the outcome of gaining your dream position as a train driver. Try to enjoy it and approach each section individually. The more emphasis you place on the outcome. The more each beep will panic you!

Enjoy and good luck.

Moose27

You’ve hit the nail on the head there to be honest. It’s not about keeping the ball/dot within the lines, so much as it is about rectifying yourself when you do venture off course. Obviously if you went off course to excess (just went rogue in your own direction), you’d probably fail the test though :D

i went right off the track once, the ball went back to the start. I passed...

Trainrave

I recently passed this assessment and am now employed as a trainee driver.

I left the track a lot of times. So many that I was sure I’d failed, but as many people have said, I quickly corrected myself and completed fast.
It would seem that speed and quick corrections are the key here.

I actually found that the keyboard practice tests were quite useful, especially the one that is identical to the track in the real test.

Best of luck

AllThatJazz

I understand the left joystick moves the ball left and right and the right joystick moves the ball up and down.

My next question is are the joysticks inverted or not?

Also does the right stick physically move up and down? On the practice test I have, the right stick moves left for up and right for down? Surely that's not correct? Any advice appreciated

Jon1930

There is a video on YouTube, the right joystick only moves up and down, left 1 left and right...

Railhopeful

I understand the left joystick moves the ball left and right and the right joystick moves the ball up and down.

My next question is are the joysticks inverted or not?

Also does the right stick physically move up and down? On the practice test I have, the right stick moves left for up and right for down? Surely that's not correct? Any advice appreciated

Move the joystick up, it goes up. Down it goes down.

You have to keep it in the position though, if you move back to centre from up the ball goes down. So it's maintaining it in that position. Right joystick only goes up and down, left only left and right.

Mlb

I recently passed this assessment and am now employed as a trainee driver.

I left the track a lot of times. So many that I was sure I’d failed, but as many people have said, I quickly corrected myself and completed fast.
It would seem that speed and quick corrections are the key here.

I actually found that the keyboard practice tests were quite useful, especially the one that is identical to the track in the real test.

Best of luck

Hey, do you mind if I ask where you got the practice material from for this one have tests next week and it’s the only one I haven’t practiced

Sebby

I made a few beeps but passed. Also, its not a smooth movement when going diagonal or on a curve. As long as you rectify any mistakes and don't make too many.

FastTrax

Hey, do you mind if I ask, how different is it using the software with they keyboard to actually using the joysticks
I would avoid using keyboard as you are training your finger muscle to do something completely different so when u r doing the actual exams u don't want your fingers to react wrong n make more mistakes. From what I understand this two hand coordination is to test your reaction in how quickly u rectify mistakes n bring back the ball back to the track, also accuracy is more important than speed (doesn't mean u take too long g to complete though) ...i m saying it cos one guy here passed all tests Enhanced but failed this one cos he went for speed rather than accuracy, u have to balance it i would say. I m new to this n waiting for Bletchley to go through the 6k application n spot me smiling in the pile n put my cv on the 'Must Invite' pile hihi. But this forum has so much stuff so u can know a lot of things before attending the tests etc.

Michael1985

I would avoid using keyboard as you are training your finger muscle to do something completely different so when u r doing the actual exams u don't want your fingers to react wrong n make more mistakes. From what I understand this two hand coordination is to test your reaction in how quickly u rectify mistakes n bring back the ball back to the track, also accuracy is more important than speed (doesn't mean u take too long g to complete though) ...i m saying it cos one guy here passed all tests Enhanced but failed this one cos he went for speed rather than accuracy, u have to balance it i would say. I m new to this n waiting for Bletchley to go through the 6k application n spot me smiling in the pile n put my cv on the 'Must Invite' pile hihi. But this forum has so much stuff so u can know a lot of things before attending the tests etc.
Think I’m the guy you are referring to here I passed everything to enhanced but failed this one completely. I’m not going to lie, it’s on my mind constantly, but there’s some good information on this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.