• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

2 Hand Coordination Test

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndrewTrain

Hi All,
First timer post, so apologies if this reads amateurish.
Seeking guidance/advice from anyone who has previously passed the 2 hand coordination test.
I failed mine almost a year ago and was beyond devastated (new baby, financially struggling). I had felt well prepared and confident in all the tests prior thanks mostly to this forum. For some reason the 2hct really fazed me. I am in the recruitment process again with a TOC and hopefully will be fast tracked back onto this stage and am much more nervous than I was first time round.
My question is how slow can you actually go on the track? For some reason I was going super fast (perhaps nerves) and was coming out of the lines very often. I was getting around the repetitive track in about 10/12 seconds as I was under the impression speed was a priority over accuracy??? (which in hindsight as a train driving test doesn't add up).
So now I know accuracy is obviously more important, how accurate and how slow?
Can someone please please reassure me and perhaps give me some advice or guidance before I potential get my 2nd fail which would omit me from a further application.
Many Thanks in Advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Louby

the object of this test is reaction, it deliberately throws you out to see how fast you get back on the line , can't answer how fast etc it was a hard one for me i admit

sw1ller

Established Member
the object of this test is reaction, it deliberately throws you out to see how fast you get back on the line , can't answer how fast etc it was a hard one for me i admit

Exactly this. Mine was really jerky and a right pain to keep in the lines. It’s all about how you manage this. Forget speed. Accuracy is key on this. Obviously don’t take all day about it though!

Dynamonic

When I did it, I used speed for the straight horizontal and vertical lines, and took a bit more time to carefully navigate those horrible diagonal lines!
As has been mentioned, you will inevitably go out of bounds a few times, but the trick is to stay calm and get back on track quickly and calmly. :)

NorthernM

Be aware that when you go back, you will be asked to resit all computer parts again.. it's always good to know what you are walking into.

I failed first time on that test and like you I did nothing but think about that test since. My only advice would be to not over think it. I found that particular test very easy the next time around but I approached it with a different mindset.

Good luck on your next attempt

Quin79

I have to say I'm very nervous for this test too. If I get to the computer part of the day on my upcoming assessment I think I will need all the luck going to pass. Never been a computer gamer etc so hope this won't hold me back

Bigdriver

I have to say I'm very nervous for this test too. If I get to the computer part of the day on my upcoming assessment I think I will need all the luck going to pass. Never been a computer gamer etc so hope this won't hold me back

I ain’t a gamer either honestly don’t stress it u get a few goes and get the feel for it

Peeler

Yeah I found this test strange and I am
a gamer. Not sure if that is a direct advantage or not. It definitely got easier I thought once I got used to the controls and I think from talking to people that is what it assesses. Driving is a gross motor skill and in theory the more you do it the better you are. If you struggle to adapt to a new gross motor skill (some people maybe academic but not very good at practical skills & vice-versa) you may struggle with the training and so this test is designed for that. You do the same pattern over again and the controls do not change. To pass you need to be getting quicker and more accurate which each new circle.

Gedphones

There's software you can buy that let's you practice. You can use the keyboard to control it or if you have a playstation or xbox controller connect them to your PC to control. The actual physics of the task is slightly different as when you do the actual test if you let the joysticks go the ball pings back to its original position. It doesn't do this in the practice software. I bought the software and I definitely feel it helped me. Cost about 70 quid for a bundle. Worth it if you pass.
As to the way you pass.... I tried to go as fast as I could and correct any error quickly. I finished well before the guy sitting to my left and watched him do his. He took his time and I barely seen him deviate from the line. We both passed so there's definitely more than one way to skin a cat with this particular test.
Good luck.

Quin79

There's software you can buy that let's you practice. You can use the keyboard to control it or if you have a playstation or xbox controller connect them to your PC to control. The actual physics of the task is slightly different as when you do the actual test if you let the joysticks go the ball pings back to its original position. It doesn't do this in the practice software. I bought the software and I definitely feel it helped me. Cost about 70 quid for a bundle. Worth it if you pass.
As to the way you pass.... I tried to go as fast as I could and correct any error quickly. I finished well before the guy sitting to my left and watched him do his. He took his time and I barely seen him deviate from the line. We both passed so there's definitely more than one way to skin a cat with this particular test.
Good luck.
In that bundle you bought did you have anything for Tea Occ or the ATAVT Traffic scenes tests?

Quin79

Yes, all three tests were in the bundle. I found the traffic scenes one helpful too.
I bought the Tea Occ one today. Are the frequency of the tones similar in the test? I thought they'd be faster. Have to say re the traffic scenes I'm finding the tests really hard and very rarely get better than 4/10 at 0.75 secs. Worrying me as my assessment day is next week. Have not been able to prep at all for the co ordination test

Joliver

I bought the Tea Occ one today. Are the frequency of the tones similar in the test? I thought they'd be faster. Have to say re the traffic scenes I'm finding the tests really hard and very rarely get better than 4/10 at 0.75 secs. Worrying me as my assessment day is next week. Have not been able to prep at all for the co ordination test

You do get to practice before you do the actual tests. It's honestly not as bad as what you think it will be.

Quin79

You do get to practice before you do the actual tests. It's honestly not as bad as what you think it will be.
I hope so my friend. Those traffic ones are so hard on that software. The tone counting software I bought today is quite good. Finding it quite easy but not sure if the frequency of the tones is slower than the actual test?

martin2345uk

Established Member
I ended up more or less guessing on that stupid traffic one and still managed to pass, don’t stress about it!

Quin79

I ended up more or less guessing on that stupid traffic one and still managed to pass, don’t stress about it!
Thanks Martin. The only test I haven't prep'd for and don't think I can now in time is the 2 hand joystick. I just hope to hell after practice I get used to the control, try and be accurate, not too slow and show improvement on each of the 10 times you go around the track. I just wish now I was a "gamer "

martin2345uk

Established Member
Thanks Martin. The only test I haven't prep'd for and don't think I can now in time is the 2 hand joystick. I just hope to hell after practice I get used to the control, try and be accurate, not too slow and show improvement on each of the 10 times you go around the track. I just wish now I was a "gamer "

I’m totally not a gamer! I went out of the lines many times on that one, just make sure you get it back in calmly and controlled :)

Twotwo

You’ll be fine. I’m not a gamer whatsoever and I managed to pass. Just use the practice bit of the test to familiarise yourself with the joystick and to find out what position is comfortable for you etc. The trick is to do the straight lines as quickly as possible. I went out so many times but it didn’t matter.

Quin79

You’ll be fine. I’m not a gamer whatsoever and I managed to pass. Just use the practice bit of the test to familiarise yourself with the joystick and to find out what position is comfortable for you etc. The trick is to do the straight lines as quickly as possible. I went out so many times but it didn’t matter.
That sounds reassuring. Thanks....and here's hoping I get to that stage of the day :)

Twotwo

That sounds reassuring. Thanks....and here's hoping I get to that stage of the day :)

If it helps, out of 6 of us only one person failed the 2 hand coordination. Very good stats. To be honest, the computer tests are not the test to be worried for. The tests that tricked me up was the tea occ and I know of a few people who failed the trp test with the dials. Best of luck.

Gedphones

It's definitely not as many as ten times round the track. 1 practice then 3 or 4 as far as I can remember.

Gedphones

It's probably about 1.5 seconds you get on the actual test.

NorthernM

It's definitely not as many as ten times round the track. 1 practice then 3 or 4 as far as I can remember.

I seem to recall it being exactly 10 times.. I don't know if it differs at all.

The only other thing I recall doing.. it wasn't something I planned to do but it seemed to help, was to kind of pull the joysticks into it's bracket which added a little friction. Seemed to slow it down for me a bit.

Bigdriver

I wouldn’t stress the 2 hand test never been a games just go as fast as u can with little mistakes u will be fine would say the photo flashes up for a second just enough time to see and no more

Tony43

to be honest personally I don't think being a gamer helps, im a gamer and also use 360 diggers which are operated with 2 joysticks. problem I found to start with was the sticks 1 only moves up and down the other only moves left and right I was trying to move them all directions at first. But you get practise go,s its not that bad as been said before I went out of the lines plenty and still passed they looking for how you recover without panicing good luck

Quin79

to be honest personally I don't think being a gamer helps, im a gamer and also use 360 diggers which are operated with 2 joysticks. problem I found to start with was the sticks 1 only moves up and down the other only moves left and right I was trying to move them all directions at first. But you get practise go,s its not that bad as been said before I went out of the lines plenty and still passed they looking for how you recover without panicing good luck
Thanks Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.