• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

2009 and S Stock Refurbishment

Status
Not open for further replies.

EJD799

As the 2009 Stock and S Stock are slowly approaching 20 years of service, what will the refurbishment probably look like?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dstock7080

Established Member
No visible signs are evident on the ongoing S8 Stock refurbishment programme, purely mechanical and electrical.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
As the 2009 Stock and S Stock are slowly approaching 20 years of service, what will the refurbishment probably look like?
Rolling stock design hasn't moved on as much as it did between the building of rolling stock in the 1970s and 1990s.

C stock and 1967 stock for instance needed a transformational interior refurbishment. That isn't the case for the S stock or 09 stock.

There are still another seven years before either fleet is 20 years old.

For either I wouldn't expect more than renewed seat covers and padding. I think I recall Geoff Marshall interviewing the guy who designs the moquettes and him indicating that there was a Barman pattern being looked at for the S stock when the time comes which ought to be in the next few years.

Cesarcollie

For either I wouldn't expect more than renewed seat covers and padding. I think I recall Geoff Marshall interviewing the guy who designs the moquettes and him indicating that there was a Barman pattern being looked at for the S stock when the time comes which ought to be in the next few years.

Not before time. The S stock moquette is wearing very badly - I understand this is due to some form of manufacturing defect.

Mikey C

Established Member
Rolling stock design hasn't moved on as much as it did between the building of rolling stock in the 1970s and 1990s.

C stock and 1967 stock for instance needed a transformational interior refurbishment. That isn't the case for the S stock or 09 stock.

There are still another seven years before either fleet is 20 years old.
Neither the 95 or 96 interiors went through major changes where they were refurbished, as the basic design holds up well.

thomalex

Surely we'll see limited reupholstering before seven years given some of the base seat covers are threadbare already. It is interesting to see which ones have worn as it identifies the most popular seats, usually either a seat on an end or in the two seats at the end of each car.

Thirteen

I'm not sure the S stock or 2009 stock need major internal refurbishments just yet and given they're newer than a lot of the LU fleet, they're probably not top priority for TfL.

RacsoMoquette

The 2009TS interior ambiance have been looking faded and in need of some TLC for quite a few years, I think they ought to be given a Moquette replacement which hopefully will not be the Barman, instead a new design similar to the 2024TS Moquette and the CLIP 1992TS.

Russel

Used a few S Stock trains today and noticed just how poor the seating is starting to look, it's certainly well worn on all the units I used.

New 1992 stock moquette would look alright on the S Stock.

RacsoMoquette

I seem to remember that the was a manufacturing defect within Camira Fabrics (The textile company who produced the Moquette fabric for the 2009 and S Stock units) Because they created the fabric to not be of a robust design, as if you look closely at the fabric you can the tiny perforations which demonstrate that the quality of the stitching was somewhat to be desired!

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I seem to remember that the was a manufacturing defect within Camira Fabrics (The textile company who produced the Moquette fabric for the 2009 and S Stock units) Because they created the fabric to not be of a robust design, as if you look closely at the fabric you can the tiny perforations which demonstrate that the quality of the stitching was somewhat to be desired!
I always assumed that the reason for the bad condition of the S8 moquette was because of the number of people who put their feet on the seats, as the moquette on the edge of the transverse seats is significantly worse than that on the longitudinal seats.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I always assumed that the reason for the bad condition of the S8 moquette was because of the number of people who put their feet on the seats, as the moquette on the edge of the transverse seats is significantly worse than that on the longitudinal seats.
It could well be partly that, but it could also be that these are the first seats that people tend to go for, so they get more heavily used as well?

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
It could well be partly that, but it could also be that these are the first seats that people tend to go for, so they get more heavily used as well?
It could be that, but the S7s which don’t have this problem only have longitudinal seats, and I don’t think it can be attributed to the age of the train either.

Status
Not open for further replies.