• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

2009 stock, manual driving?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Just been watching the Tube (BBC 2012) and on the Upgrading the Tube episode on youtube (just search for The Tube - Upgrading the Tube (Series 1 Episode 4) (BBC Series 2) it appears at 41:08 that the driver is manually driving the 2009 stock. Didn't think you could do this when the train is in service on the line; I know that you do manually drive the train to the depot. I'm not an expert on the 2009 stock, but can you actually override the ATO by moving the handle as he was demonstrating how easy they are compared to the other stock? Good watch by the way if you're interested.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ATW Alex 101

Established Member
Drivers have to drive manually for a certain amount of time in a week to keep up knowledge for driving manually or so I was told by someone who works in engineering

WinterChief

Victoria Line drivers are only able to drive manually up to 22mph this is done between Seven Sisters and Northumberland Park Depot out of service to keep up their driving. Lots of trains/ duties do the staff runs which gives all drivers the opportunity to drive every so often.

Manual driving on the line in service is only in an emergency (Failures, defective trains etc). All of the time the whole passenger part of the Vic is ATO.

Quite strange then in this video (am I allowed to put the link?) that he accelerates manually in public service.

notadriver

Established Member
Are you sure he is actually driving the train and not just pretending to be a driver ?

Dstock7080

Established Member
Looking closely, at 41.08 the train is being driven manually - from Seven Sisters to depot.
At 41.33 the shot changes, to being in ATO, the driver resting his hand on an inoperative deadman (the handle is turned).

notadriver

Established Member
Looking closely, at 41.08 the train is being driven manually - from Seven Sisters to depot.
At 41.33 the shot changes, to being in ATO, the driver resting his hand on an inoperative deadman (the handle is turned).

That explains it :) thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.