• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

2017 - time to get out!

Status
Not open for further replies.

crispy1978

After spending most of 2016 going to and from hospitals for both my wife and I, we've decided now that the vast majority of treatment/physio/operations are done that we want to get out and about a lot more - but further afield than just Scarborough where we live.

We have a mix of fatigue and mobility issues to contend with - but was wondering if anyone knows of anywhere knows of pubs/cafes which are almost on the doorstep of stations. We've got a disabled railcard, so happy to do day trips, even if its home-train-station-eat-station-train-home.

Any ideas to get us out of the house more than welcome.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gathursty

Established Member
Settle is fairly close to the high street.
Wigan Wallgate has a cafe across the road
Llandudno Junction has a cheap and cheerful cafe on the platform.

crispy1978

Thank you.

Like I mentioned, I don't mind sitting on a train for 2-3 hours, stopping at a pub for a bar meal or something then jumping back on the train home. After 2016, it's a day out for us both and beats just being sat at home or doing daily train runs to hospitals.

eastwestdivide

Established Member
In the Hope Valley:
- cheap and cheerful cafe right by Grindleford station (top of the ramps).
- pub and National Trust cafe right by Edale station (pub on north side, cafe on south).
Longer and wider views at Edale, tunnel mouth at Grindleford.

SWTCommuter

How about Betty's Tea Rooms in Ilkley? They are about 200 yards along the road from the station.

2 hours 12 mins from Scarborough, change at Leeds

Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
How bad are the mobility issues?

Places like Carnforth are possibilities, although it might be more than your 2-3 hour journey time. Cafe on the station (Lancaster-bound platform) at Carnforth, never visited myself but I'm informed it's nice.

Huddersfield, while again I've not been to the pubs on the stations yet (I know, I know!), would get a vote too. Stalybridge and its pub on the station must be worth a visit.

I really can't think tonight of anywhere sensible to suggest right now, not anywhere I've visited. Actually, no, not true. The cafe on Worksop's eastbound platform does really nice food, I sure enjoyed my breakfast there on an ALR in 2012.

theblackwatch

Established Member
The cafe at Carnforth is nice yes - not the cheapest, but I had breakfast there before the 40 tour in September and it was very nice. Tea in a china cup and very nice food too. There's the heritage centre within the station too, and you could probably do a circular trip, out via the Little North Western (ie Hellifield/Clapham) and return via Lancaster/Preston. In fact, it's given me an idea for a forum trip.meet at some point...

Bevan Price

Established Member
Hull is 2017 "City of Culture". Any events there that might interest you? Station is pretty close to city centre.

Probably unwise to go too far if you have been feeling unwell, but maybe a Settle & Carlisle trip later in the year ?

And for shorter trips - if the weather is good, Filey, Bridlington & Beverley are not too far from Scarborough. Or Whitby / Saltburn / Redcar if you don't mind a bus trip (it is possible by train, but a bit of a long way round.)

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
It's not far but maybe go to Malton and make use of the cafe on the station for breakfast or lunch? The same could be done for Worksop, with a change at York and Retford or York and Sheffield.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I admire your desire to get out more, crispy, and after so much hospital treatment, appointments, etc, I reckon you don't mind paying a bit more for a good pub or cafe experience as long as it's convenient.

If I were you, and I've had a few medical issues myself, I'd be looking into doing a sort of loop punctuated with plenty of refreshments!

Veteran Member
You could try Saltaire, if it's not too far
Salt's Diner (a bit noisy for me!)
Don't tell Titus
Saltaire Boathouse (reopened after the Boxing Day 2015 flood)
Plus the Saltaire Canteen pay-as-you feel cafe (no alcohol)

crispy1978

Ilkley is somewhere I've looked at. Not somewhere I've been before, so will tick off some stations too!!

Thanks so far guys, some great ideas.

Status
Not open for further replies.