• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

2022 Conservative Leadership Election - Liz Truss chosen as party leader (and subsequent reshuffle)

Who should be the next Conservative leader?

• Kemi Badenoch - now eliminated

Votes: 27 11.3%
  • Suella Braverman - now eliminated

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • Jeremy Hunt - now eliminated

Votes: 10 4.2%
  • Penny Mordaunt - now eliminated

Votes: 44 18.3%
  • Rishi Sunak

Votes: 62 25.8%
  • Liz Truss

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Tom Tugendhat - now eliminated

Votes: 54 22.5%
  • Nadhim Zahawi - now eliminated

Votes: 2 0.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
I can’t take Truss seriously as she always looks like she’s trying not to laugh. She has this cheeky look on her face even during the most serious of matters (don’t get me wrong I find it very amusing, but it doesn’t look too appropriate)

Sort of how Fiona Bruce has a habit of smiling on News at Six, as she tells us four children have died in a fire… doesn’t look exactly right.

Typhoon

Established Member
I can’t take Truss seriously
I certainly can't ...
There is no doubt this is a very diverse cabinet.

Not a single white man will occupy one of the four great offices of state - prime minister, chancellor, home secretary or foreign secretary.

In her top four posts, Liz Truss has appointed:

Kwasi Kwarteng as chancellor
James Cleverly as foreign secretary
Suella Braverman as home secretary
Therese Coffey as deputy prime minister and health secretary
Each one gets worse, Still Angela Rayner should be able to enjoy herself!

Quote from https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-politics-62802807[/quote]

sor

The Prime Minister is a bit different and involves a personal audience between appointee and monarch..
this just seems like "that's the way we've always done it" (just as we always did it at buck house, until we didn't). in either case the queen is just there to do the formalities, read the script, and a quick photo for the media.

given the UK's leadership on COP26 and the economic concerns it definitely doesn't look good to be flying two separate private jets around for a 10 minute meeting.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Rees-Mogg is to be in charge of energy?!

Jacob Rees-Mogg is expected to take on responsibility for energy and climate change after Liz Truss struggled to find a dedicated minister to fill the role amid concerns over his scepticism.

Conservative sources confirmed the controversial minister, a survivor of the Boris Johnson administration, would fulfil the function of the junior minister in addition to his new role of business secretary.

Clearly expectations of a final disaster are part of man’s psychology and the doomsayers of the quasi religious green movement fit the bill. Perhaps one day the world will end, giving the last group to predict it the satisfaction of being right – but as many have been wrong so far it does not seem wise to make public policy on the back of these fears.

Scotrail12

Suella de vil (Braverman) taking over as Home Secretary. No thank you!

Ditto for Coffey as Health Minister, really?

I do not see Truss winning an election, I think she's merely there to see them out for the next 1-2 years since Boris simply couldn't stay a minute longer.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
this just seems like "that's the way we've always done it" (just as we always did it at buck house, until we didn't). in either case the queen is just there to do the formalities, read the script, and a quick photo for the media.
So why do you think the monarch still did it in person, then? After all she’s just there to do the formalities.

I’m having serious concerns that this woman will not win a general election.
Sounds good to me.

Typhoon

Established Member
BBC are reporting that only one Sunak supporter is likely to get a 'top cabinet job' (Michael Ellis - Attorney General). Considering 137 voted for him in the MPs vote, this doesn't seem like a step to unite the party.

Energy to be sold in Groats per British Thermal Unit? none of this Pound per Kilowatt-Hour!
No chance, it will be Sovereigns per BTU. If people can't afford it, they can dig the coal out of the ground like their ancestors did; and they should stock up with candles while they still can

(A groat is a very low value coin, you know, what Rees Mogg tips the servants with.)

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
BBC are reporting that only one Sunak supporter is likely to get a 'top cabinet job' (Michael Ellis - Attorney General). Considering 137 voted for him in the MPs vote, this doesn't seem like a step to unite the party.
Good quicker they blow themselves up and split into a right wing and centrist faction the more chance the country has of electing a group of people that represent the core beliefs of the majority of us.

androdas

Good quicker they blow themselves up and split into a right wing and centrist faction the more chance the country has of electing a group of people that represent the core beliefs of the majority of us.

I think the UK is at heart a fairly centrist, moderate country but we were sold a lie at the 2019 election and a culture war has been propagated by those at the extremes of the political spectrum.

SynthD

Are the white men waiting for their time to stab her in the back, or is she going woke by not choosing them?

We’ve been sold many lies before many elections. This is the seventh government since Cameron said “stability with me or chaos with Ed”.

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
I think the UK is at heart a fairly centrist, moderate country but we were sold a lie at the 2019 election and a culture war has been propagated by those at the extremes of the political spectrum.
Absolutely so i would like to see the one nation tories splitting away going in with Liberals and the those from Labour that are sensible them we might get a centrist party with traction. Just knee jerking between Tory and Labour has got us nowhere for decades now.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Absolutely so i would like to see the one nation tories splitting away going in with Liberals and the those from Labour that are sensible them we might get a centrist party with traction.

That was tried three years ago. Remember Change U.K.?

Unfortunately it didn’t end well.

Acfb

Absolutely so i would like to see the one nation tories splitting away going in with Liberals and the those from Labour that are sensible them we might get a centrist party with traction. Just knee jerking between Tory and Labour has got us nowhere for decades now.

It's quite possible the LDs could finally break through in Surrey etc at the next election under FPTP anyway, Tories shift further right in opposition under Kemi Badenoch and they're out of power at least 10 years. The Tories might find it hard to regain power after they've lost power like 1997 as they will lose some of the client media support and only have their pensioner base and new found base of Midlands social conservatives to fall back on.

Scotrail12

Surely you can't have Kemi Badenoch as leader at any point? She's too socially conservative. Stuff like LGBT rights wouldn't exactly be honoured by her whereas the majority of the country are neutral and/or in favour of them.

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
So Sunak supporters all sent to the backbenchers along with most of Boris's sycophantic supporters. Note Ben Wallace kept his view to himself largely and got on with the job unlike teh rest of them.

Rees Mogg as BEIS is really desperate

Busaholic

Veteran Member
So Sunak supporters all sent to the backbenchers along with most of Boris's sycophantic supporters. Note Ben Wallace kept his view to himself largely and got on with the job unlike teh rest of them.

Rees Mogg as BEIS is really desperate
Ben Wallace was hoping to get the Secretary General job at NATO from 1st October, but the incumbent Jens Stoltenberg had his second four year term extended by a further year to 30/9/23, probably in the main because of the Ukraine/Russia situation. I suspect he still harbours ambitions, and why not? He'll mark time, politically speaking, keeping well out of the upcoming domestic chaos.

Kwarteng is undoubtedly very bright, unlike his fellow old Etonian Rees Mogg, but Truss will require an ally or two who's both loyal and thick, especially now Dorries is soon to depart to another place.

Johnny Mercer reportedly very unhappy at losing his (only recently acquired) place in the Cabinet. Another by-election in Devon soon?!

JamesT

Established Member
Surely you can't have Kemi Badenoch as leader at any point? She's too socially conservative. Stuff like LGBT rights wouldn't exactly be honoured by her whereas the majority of the country are neutral and/or in favour of them.
That’s mostly irrelevant to becoming leader. You merely need to persuade enough of your parliamentary party to put you forward, then a majority of the party as a whole to vote for you and you’re leader. For examples, see Liz Truss or Jeremy Corbyn.
A different question is whether that person can then go on to win a general election where they have to appeal more widely than just their party base. But the membership voting doesn’t necessarily have that in mind when they’re choosing the leader.

Gloster

Established Member
Johnny Mercer has for long struck me as someone who is in a hurry to get somewhere. Unfortunately, he doesn’t know where.

Status
Not open for further replies.