• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

2024 uk railtours dates

There are a few new dates on the UK Railtours site with save the dates notes these are
20th April Hastings DEMU to destination TBC
27th April London to Shropshire
11th May London to the seaside?
27th May to the west country from? Using heritage traction
8th June something unique to the North East
15 June London to Berwick-upon-Tweed for holy Island
Obviously these are very vague apart for the dates but IF the manage to get the 52 to work it might do the heritage traction bit on 27th May, and the 15 June is something that in days gone by it would be a shoe in for a 67 or a 90 but what now if DB don't want it?? Interesting to ponder on

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Thanks for these. The excursion and rail tour scene is something of developing interest to me now, having largely fallen out of love with the regular railway and it's operations so good to pencil parts of this that interest in

Their page is rubbish on a phone browser shame they should be perfect as certainly my railway over 80% of the traffic is on mobile phone browsers

xotGD

Established Member
"Saturday 8th June – Something quite unique for the enthusiast to the North East of England."

A Western to Newcastle then?

Kite159

Veteran Member
The good thing with using GBRf for red penners are the options, including the imported 66s which wouldn't have worked a passenger service in this country.

I was a bit tempted with that Shrewsbury tour but was put off with having to pay an extra £25 for the 'mini-tour'. Especially at the cost of the normal tour price (although with a Reading call I wouldn't need the expense of accommodation).

Blindtraveler

Established Member
I certainly couldn't justify the expense of the Shrewsbury excursion and as it was apparent they weren't selling the mini tour separately I discarded it before delivering properly got started. There's a save the date for August for some kind of western region circular jobby which might prove profitable for me personally in terms of track coverage but we will see, I've had a few off forum mutterings and rumours which I won't share publicly about something that I might want to do come the autumn and also saving my money for other things that I might fancy.

The good thing with using GBRf for red penners are the options, including the imported 66s which wouldn't have worked a passenger service in this country.

I was a bit tempted with that Shrewsbury tour but was put off with having to pay an extra £25 for the 'mini-tour'. Especially at the cost of the normal tour price (although with a Reading call I wouldn't need the expense of accommodation).
To be honest paying for the tour and then pay another £25 makes it nearly chingfinder prices, thats not good IMO

Iskra

Established Member
It’s all very Southern-based this year, which is a little disappointing since the previous trend was towards some more Northern/Midland pick up points from UKRailtours, so I’m unlikely to be booking on anything this year.

It’s all very Southern-based this year, which is a little disappointing since the previous trend was towards some more Northern/Midland pick up points from UKRailtours, so I’m unlikely to be booking on anything this year.
Yeah they still have a credit note for me for a tour which I had to cancel due to strike action but as you say there's nothing there yet, but that's true of all the railtour organisers I've only done two charters this year so far. But the promise of the 45 coming into play is more than enough to keep me optimistic

Iskra

Established Member
Yeah they still have a credit note for me for a tour which I had to cancel due to strike action but as you say there's nothing there yet, but that's true of all the railtour organisers I've only done two charters this year so far. But the promise of the 45 coming into play is more than enough to keep me optimistic
Yeah, I’ve noticed that and there’s nothing much catching my eye at the moment either. There’s only really LSL with some Northern offerings for day tours, although WCRC are yet to post many of theirs so maybe later in the year something will come up. Gone are the days of me travelling down and paying for 2 nights in hotels for a tour with prices now being asked for such things.

Kite159

Veteran Member
You never know what the calling pattern will be on those tours still to be announced. However in general UK Railtours are normally southern with Pathfinder being the operator with more pick ups in the midlands.

------

It's not just the cost of a railtour but in some cases the cost of accommodation for one or two nights (depends on times & pick up/set down points) as well as the cost of getting to the station. Some areas the car parking ain't cheap, even on weekends.

Iskra

Established Member
A classic itinerary :)

These RA Powercars are seeming popular with railtours and heritage operators.

I'm hearing 27th May is class 50s from London to Plymouth, inc some flyover near Reading and Laira triangle

I believe there may be a summer tour with 50008 starting at Aylesbury Vale Parkway, of all places.
Well thats not the easiest of places to get to, 008 is down for a trip to Sheringham as well but I'm pretty sure that starts from Eastleigh

Established Member
Is anyone aware of any Class 31 and/or 47 railtours this year please?

LUYMun

Yes, the Gateway Galloper, Harbourmaster and Shrewsbury tours have been allocated for TnT 66s, so one assumes a similar arrangement would take place.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Yes, the Gateway Galloper, Harbourmaster and Shrewsbury tours have been allocated for TnT 66s, so one assumes a similar arrangement would take place.
A trip to the North East needs something which can go faster than a class 66 for the trunk leg. The Shrewsbury trip and the Harbourmaster involve a 57/3 before the 66s take over.