• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

21st Century Races to the North

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wapping Dock

I was reading the Wiki Article regarding 'Races to the North' (and back) and I was wondering why such friendly rivalry, does not take place today, even for publicity reasons.

I'm aware that the main competition for the railways, for travel between London and Scotland, comes from air-travel (which is why I think High Speed Rail should always push for faster timings) but is nothing to be gained from such friendly competition between East Coast and West Coast today, and would such competition be unthinkable?

Does it not inspire operators to push for faster trains and quicker timings? Or could either operator not afford to take up the challenge today.

To quote from the article:
"When Britain's railways were privatised in the mid 1990s, the West Coast and East Coast routes were now once again operated by two different companies - now Virgin Trains and East Coast (train operating company).

Unlike the pre-1948 era however, the two operators have played down the fact that they are in effect rivals on the Anglo-Scottish routes, and have rarely been seen to advertise themselves as direct competitors meaning that a re-emergence of the Races To The North is unlikely."

Why is this?

I've always found High Speed Rail to be impressive, I've travelled on Pendolinos between the North West and London and also travelled from Newcastle to KX, East Coast, and of course from London to Paris via Eurostar (very impressive).

p.s sorry if this has been posted in the wrong forum.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Failed Unit

Established Member
The Market the directly compete on is small. London - Edinburgh can be done on West Coast but the service is less frequent, cost more and involves a change. Likewise you can get to Glasgow on east coast but it takes you an hour longer. These differences are more significant now. Stirling takes the same time by either operator but for the size of the Market the advertising isn't really worth it. Likewise some people will got via West Coast from Edinburgh but as the east coast service is so much better why bother worrying about virgin.

will1337

Similar races have happened recently, there was one posted on this forum of the plane vs train from somewhere in London to Edinburgh. Top Gear does similar car vs x challenges although they are highly dramatised.

Wapping Dock

Similar races have happened recently, there was one posted on this forum of the plane vs train from somewhere in London to Edinburgh. Top Gear does similar car vs x challenges although they are highly dramatised.

Always in Top Gear's favour though.

Travelling on a tilting Pendolino at full speed is an experience to behold and I'd rather travel via rail to Euston than any trip down the M6 in a car, or plane for that matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.