• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

22.45 Blackpool North-Man Airport. Advice please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
Tell them where to stick it! (OK, don't say those actual words-but that response is woefully inadequate)

Standard stock response, dosen't even acknowledge your complaint rather than attempt to respond!

The fact that letter is from the 'Customer Complaints Manager' is very concerning indeed and Transport Focus definately need making aware of this.

Did you know any of the other passengers? If so, then it may be worth you, as a group, raising this with your MP if Transport Focus yield poor results?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I would reply politely and point out that the letter from the manager doe snot address the particular problem or demonstrate any awareness of the circumstances of the incident. Offer the manager the opportunity to reconsider what they have written (copied), and invite them to explain what alternative service you could have used from Piccadilly when you found yourself there without any choice in the matter.

6Gman

Established Member
Dear Mr Abbott,

I am contacting you in respect to diverted service.

I am sorry to learn that your journey between Blackpool and Chorley was disrupted, and that you were caused a delay as a result. Please be assured that we are committed to operating a punctual train service on all of our routes, continually reviewing and monitoring the cause of all delays to our trains, to ensure that appropriate measures are put in place to reduce their recurrence wherever this is possible.

Whilst I understand you frustration, under the National Rail Conditions of Carriage we cannot be held liable for consequential loss caused by disruption to our services. In the case where you choose to take alternative transportation due to a delay or cancellation of our services, as long as another service is due in the near future and is readily available for you to use, then I am afraid that you become liable for any consequential loss from choosing an alternate method of transport. Ultimately, the provision of our services would still be ongoing and so I therefore regret that, on this occasion, I am unable to agree to your request in this regard and apologise for any disappointment that this may cause you.

However, if your journey was delayed by 30 minutes or more you are entitled to claim compensation under the Delay Repay scheme. Full details of this can be found on our website northernrailway.co.uk

You can also find the online forms there and either submit online via the website, email us a copy at [email protected] or post a form in to us at Freepost Northern Rail.

If there is anything more we can help with please feel free to phone and speak to one of our friendly advisors on 0800 200 6060 or email for further information at [email protected]

Kind regards,

Gareth Frith
Customer Complaints Manager

What other service can i use,the first rail replacement bus on a Saturday morning,Some seven hours later. Dont think this is an acceptable response.
Any more advice please.

Write back pointing out that 7 hours is not "the near future" and perhaps hinting that if the matter isn't resolved satisfactorily you will have to go to Passenger Focus (or whatever it's called), Trading Standards, MP, press or whichever you feel appropriate.

P.S. Reading the first sentence of their letter - why can't people write basic English anymore?

Last edited:

TBirdFrank

On Moderation
If this is the hard nosed kind of response to passengers that the new Northern is doling out then it needs to be stamped on very, very hard.

My friend who is studying at Accrington has discovered that if there is a problem that the Vic - Rochdale - Blackburn service is the first to get caped.

Buying her tickets at Rochdale has become like playing roulette - see if you can get there when the booking office is open or face a half hour wait to buy tickets for a later travel date.

Then there is Blackpool North! a point blank refusal to sell tickets for future travel dates directly in breach of franchise requirements.

Take it up with new Northern - silence!

Take it up with Transport Focus - ten weeks later get an impertinent telephone call from some little girl telling you nothing can be done but would you like to hear about the Northern commitment to investment?

At that point she got told that as a former thirty year railwayman I do not appreciate being patronised and that if Northern cannot step up to the plate then this will be escalated higher every time it happens.

The new college term starts on Thursday!

Status
Not open for further replies.