• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

23 Sept UK Railtours to Bluebell Rly. return timings??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Hello - I hope a Forum reader can assist?

I don't see this train's path yet on Realtime Trains.

Does any reader have details of scheduled departure from Sheffield Park and through East Grinstead? Many thanks in advance.
The timetable for the Bluebell Railway element is available on the Bluebell Railway website.

I can't easily quote this but should be 1535 off Sheffield Park and 1610 through East Grinstead.

73133 has failed so the two 73s will head the 66 from Sheffield Park. The previous plan saw the 66 left at Wembley / Acton Lane.

Iskra

Established Member
I am told there is to be a naming of a GBRf 73 whilst on the Bluebell. Is there any truth to this or just rumour, please?
While it’s possible, there’s already a 66 named the Bluebell Railway…

Does anyone know what the Class 66 will be please?
Class 66739 The Bluebell Railway has apparently headed South from Scotland to Doncaster Roberts road depot. There is a move from there to Burton Wetmore where the carriages are stored on real time trains. It would seem a likely, fitting and logical candidate. Although apparently the final decision has not been made on the 66 allocation yet.

- - - -

I’ll be on this tour and I’m looking forward to it.

By all accounts the triple 73 move on the Bluebell has been scuppered as the resident 73 has failed, so the 66 will now be coming along for the ride and to assist on the Bluebell Railway’s gradients.

Update: apparently now 66718 according to WNXX

Last edited:

Sun Chariot

Established Member
2 miles and 50 years away from the Longmoor Milita
66739, 73133 (E6040). Namer imposters! For me, the REAL "Bluebell Railway" will always be 73004.

I recall my delight back in 1988, when it appeared at Clapham Jcn: spotless and shining in newly-painted NSE blue, with yellow cab roofs, hauling a rake of PCA cement wagons. Happy times!

50002Superb

Class 66739 The Bluebell Railway has apparently headed South from Scotland to Doncaster Roberts road depot. There is a move from there to Burton Wetmore where the carriages are stored on real time trains. It would seem a likely, fitting and logical candidate. Although apparently the final decision has not been made on the 66 allocation yet.

- - - -

By all accounts the triple 73 move on the Bluebell has been scuppered as the resident 73 has failed, so the 66 will now be coming along for the ride and to assist on the Bluebell Railway’s gradients.

Ok, thanks

fgwrich

Established Member

- - - -

Yes - UK Railtours have just put up a post on Facebook to say it’s 718 which apparently hasn’t hauled a (public) passenger train for a number of years and it’s last preserved railway visit was to the Nene Valley sometime around 2007.

Iskra

Established Member
Yes - UK Railtours have just put up a post on Facebook to say it’s 718 which apparently hasn’t hauled a (public) passenger train for a number of years and it’s last preserved railway visit was to the Nene Valley sometime around 2007.
Yes, no doubt a winner for many (including me) and it’s certainly an interesting livery :)

Does anyone know how things are going to work on the Bluebell?

Iskra

Established Member
Do you mean timings / pathings? The day's timetable is on the Bluebell Railway site and the tour is the yellow column marked "SPL". It's PDF-download friendly
As in how are the passengers of a roughly 10-coach railtour going to be accommodated on presumably shorter heritage trains, alongside regular passengers too

Iskra

Established Member
Things have just got interesting now. We’re booked over the Bedford-Bletchley route, but it’s been taken over for a possession despite our timetabled move over it. We’ve now caused a traffic jam behind us as the WCML is down to two-track and the driver correctly challenged the incorrect routing. We’re moving into Bletchley station now, but unsure how we’re getting home from there.

Update: Passengers for Bedford are de-training for buses at Bletchley. Everyone else remaining onboard. Speculation from me is a reversal at Nuneaton with a run around or Thunderbird attaching at the rear or it’s via Birmingham to Leicester the very long way around. Still a queue of 8 trains behind us at this point that we are blocking.

Last edited:

Iskra

Established Member
We’re now heading around the Northampton loop, which is winning track for me so that’s something. Passengers for Kettering getting taxis from Northampton. The train will then proceed to Leicester but how was not explained.

tramdan

Also on this tour, as I write, we have just left Northampton. Communication so far from UK Railtours staff has been rather good I would say.

Iskra

Established Member
We’re now going/gone via Aston, Bescot, Sutton Coldfield, Water Orton, Nuneaton, Leicester, East Midlands Parkway. A great tour of the West Midlands :D

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
Things have just got interesting now. We’re booked over the Bedford-Bletchley route, but it’s been taken over for a possession despite our timetabled move over it. We’ve now caused a traffic jam behind us as the WCML is down to two-track and the driver correctly challenged the incorrect routing. We’re moving into Bletchley station now, but unsure how we’re getting home from there.

It appears the error is with the planning of the train not the possession and the possession may have just been overlooked.

Iskra

Established Member
It appears the error is with the planning of the train not the possession and the possession may have just been overlooked.
Interesting! Obviously, I’m just going on what has been announced onboard :) It’s not been the end of the world as far as I’m concerned and all passengers have had as good a resolution as possible as far as I have seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.