• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

240418 Thursday Sea Mills (SML) - Weston-super-Mare(WSM) & Yatton(YAT) Open jaw: Congestion at Weston

sleepy_hollow

240418 Thursday Sea Mills (SML) - Weston-super-Mare(WSM) & Yatton(YAT) Open jaw

2K18 1004 SML-WSM 3 car 165
2K50 1723 YAT-SML 2 car 165

A generally smooth trip leaving WSM southbound by the shortest possible route, through the nature reserve, to cycle to Mark for lunch than on into the levels and back round through Loxton and Winscombe to Yatton in late winter sunshine. Platform 2 is much the most convenient for this.

As for the trains, only ten minutes late arriving at WSM, being held on the main line waiting for a late Cardiff bound train to come out. My first thought at the time was that this raised the question of whether the singling of the WSM loop really saved enough to justify the operational complexity, or whether the singling should be reviewed in the light of today's more intensive train service. On arrival it transpired that there was a third train in platform 1, an 800 series, presumably for London, so we arrived unexpectedly on the more convenient (for me) platform 2. With three trains involved this suggests that the question should be:

'Should the WSM platform 3 bay, currently a siding, be brought back into use for all the hourly WSM-Avonmouth trains?'

Returning from Yatton a Cardiff train again seemed to be running late but had no effect on the SML train. After Temple Meads (BRI) this was the first occasion for some while when I have travelled on a crowded train. Or at least it seemed crowded from the end of Coach E. Passengers had approached mainly from the west of the platform so I cannot tell whether Coach D was full. This and the preceding train from WSM generally seem to be two car 165s. These give capacious cycle accommodation but it does raise the question:

'Why are the rush hour trains through BRI two car sets?'

PAYG taps all recorded and correct charge made promptly.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The exile

Established Member
240418 Thursday Sea Mills (SML) - Weston-super-Mare(WSM) & Yatton(YAT) Open jaw

but it does raise the question:

'Why are the rush hour trains through BRI two car sets?'
Probably because that’s all that is available. Stock is at a premium!

Was wondering why you were reporting on events of 6 years ago, then it dawned on me….