• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

25 years of the railways in Scotland since the Scottish Parliament reopening

Status
Not open for further replies.

och aye

2024 will mark 25 years since the Scottish Parliament was re-established. I thought I’d start a thread to look at what has been achieved for the railways in Scotland in that time as well as issues and projects cancelled/kicked into the long grass.

I’ll list some of the milestones from 1999 onwards (from what I can remember!). No doubt I’ll miss many! I’ll update the list from the replies that will no doubt point out my omissions (and any mistakes I've made!). I appreciate some projects that opened during the early years were technically legislated and were started by the UK Parliament/Strategic Rail Authority, but I’ll add them as they opened when the Scottish Parliament/Scottish Executive was then in existence.
  • 2000 – Opening of Dunfermline Queen Margaret station (although I believe this was a Westminster (Strategic Rail Authority) project predating the Scottish Parliament – please correct me if I’m wrong!)
  • 2001 - Howwood station reopened.
  • 2002 – Opening/Reopening of stations at Brunstane, Beauly and Newcraighall.
  • 2003 – Opening of Edinburgh Park.
  • 2005 – Reopening of Larkhall branch. Reopening of Maryhill to Anniesland line. Kelvindale station opens. Gartcosh station reopened.
  • 2007 – Stirling-Alloa-Kincardine railway opens. Edinburgh Airport rail link cancelled.
  • 2008 – Alloa station opens.
  • 2009 – Laurencekirk station reopens. Glasgow Airport rail link cancelled.
  • 2010 – Airdrie-Bathgate rail link opens. Opening/Reopening of the Bathgate and Coatbridge Railway line, with stations at: *Drumgelloch (relocated), *Caldercruix, Blackridge, *Armadale, Bathgate (relocated). *Opened in 2011. Class 380 trains enter service.
  • 2012 – Paisley Canal line electrified.
  • 2013 – Opening of Conon Bridge station.
  • 2014 – Cumbernauld and Whifflet lines electrified.
  • 2015 – Opening of the Borders Railway. Opening/Reopening of stations in Shawfair, Eskbank, Newtongrange, Gorebridge, Stow, Galashiels and Tweedbank.
  • 2016 – Edinburgh Gateway station opens as part of EGIP.
  • 2017 – Edinburgh via Falkirk High Railway line electrified.
  • 2018 – Electrification of railway to Stirling, Dunblane and Alloa. Class 385 trains enter service.
  • 2019 – Reopening of Robroyston station. Completion of Phase 1 of the Aberdeen to Inverness improvement project - redoubling from Kittybrewster to Inverurie. Shotts line electrified.
  • 2020 – Reopening of Kintore station.
  • 2021 – Completion of Edinburgh to Glasgow Improvement Programme. Newly rebuilt Glasgow Queen Street station opens.
  • 2022 – Reopening of Reston station.
  • 2023 – Opening/Reopening of East Linton and Inverness Airport stations. Electrification of Barrhead
Another thing to note in the last 25 years is the Railways Act 2005, which devolved a lot of power to the Scottish Executive (as it was then known) and the creation of Transport Scotland, as well as creation of the ScotRail Alliance now branded as Scotland’s Railway.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

InOban

Established Member
Drumgelloch had been opened many years earlier although it had to be closed while they doubled the track, turning it from a single track extension beyond Airdrie.

ld0595

Electrification of the line to Barrhead can also be included in your list!

Morayshire

2019. Completion of Phase 1 of the Aberdeen to Inverness improvement project - redoubling from Kittybrewster to Inverurie.

2022. Work begins on Aberdeen to Central Belt (A2CB) electrification. Ground investigations underway along the route in 2022 with the first bridge rebuilds/permanent removals taking place in 2022/2023.

Railsigns

Established Member
2005 - Reopening of Maryhill to Anniesland line, with a new station at Kelvindale.

EMU303

Electrification of Paisley Canal, Whifflet and Cumbernauld lines, plus more recently the line through Shotts between Glasgow and Edinburgh.

Acfb

That's a good summary. Alloa station opened in 2008 and Haymarket station was completed in 2013 ready for the trams.

SargeNpton

Established Member
No all sweetness and light though...

The Glasgow Cross-City line with stations at: Bridgegate, Glasgow Cross, Gorbals and West Street; was proposed by an early Scottish executive and then cancelled in 2008.

Similarly the proposed line to Glasgow Airport.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Whilst this all looks good from a PR point of view, how many of these projects have been buried in controversy and or being descoped or radically altered or gone over budget? Certainly a number of them did not go smoothly including the introduction of the two new train fleets for the electric services and as we all well know the introduction of refurbished HST which in theory should have been plugged and play out of the box once refurbished has been almost as big a disaster as the ferries

Many roots are running with ridiculously short two or three car trains and near continuous overcrowding, the fit for the future timetable was a very underhand way of reducing services and saving money post pandemic all based on passenger figures that were inaccurate due to pandemic usage and then not being given sufficient time to recover before sweeping cups and changes were made leaving many routes that previously had a good service with a service that is now either similar to the 1990s or worse

d9009alycidon

No all sweetness and light though...

The Glasgow Cross-City line with stations at: Bridgegate, Glasgow Cross, Gorbals and West Street; was proposed by an early Scottish executive and then cancelled in 2008.

Similarly the proposed line to Glasgow Airport.
To be fair that line had been proposed as part of the Clyderail project in the 1970s, dropped, reassessed and dropped again. The link to Strathbungo junction was also on/off

och aye

<pedantic>
...Scottish Parliament was re-established. I thought...
</pedantic>
Whoops! :oops:

Drumgelloch had been opened many years earlier although it had to be closed while they doubled the track, turning it from a single track extension beyond Airdrie.
I've updated the list to reflect this.

Class 380s started in service at the end of 2010. All were in service by 2011.
Updated. I'm not sure how I ended up with 2012 when typing this on Libre Writer!

Electrification of the line to Barrhead can also be included in your list!
Added to the list. Cheers.

2019. Completion of Phase 1 of the Aberdeen to Inverness improvement project - redoubling from Kittybrewster to Inverurie.

2022. Work begins on Aberdeen to Central Belt (A2CB) electrification. Ground investigations underway along the route in 2022 with the first bridge rebuilds/permanent removals taking place in 2022/2023.
I've added the A2I improvements. I'm only sticking to completed projects otherwise the list would get very long and quite messy! But it's good to have the info in this thread. Cheers

2005 - Reopening of Maryhill to Anniesland line, with a new station at Kelvindale.
Added. Cheers

That's a good summary. Alloa station opened in 2008 and Haymarket station was completed in 2013 ready for the trams.
Thank you. I've updated the list. Cheers.

Electrification of Paisley Canal, Whifflet and Cumbernauld lines, plus more recently the line through Shotts between Glasgow and Edinburgh.
Added. Cheers.

Whilst this all looks good from a PR point of view, how many of these projects have been buried in controversy and or being descoped or radically altered or gone over budget? Certainly a number of them did not go smoothly including the introduction of the two new train fleets for the electric services and as we all well know the introduction of refurbished HST which in theory should have been plugged and play out of the box once refurbished has been almost as big a disaster as the ferries

Many roots are running with ridiculously short two or three car trains and near continuous overcrowding, the fit for the future timetable was a very underhand way of reducing services and saving money post pandemic all based on passenger figures that were inaccurate due to pandemic usage and then not being given sufficient time to recover before sweeping cups and changes were made leaving many routes that previously had a good service with a service that is now either similar to the 1990s or worse
To be clear, this isn't a PR piece (I don't work for Transport Scotland! :lol:). I just wanted to summarise what major approved infrastructure works have been carried out and cancelled.

As I stated in my second sentence, I wanted to hear about the issues like you've raised as the last 25 years haven't all been a bed of sweet smelling roses.

One of the projects I do lament being cancelled was the Edinburgh Airport link - EARL. Perhaps it was too ambitious for the cost (were the owners of EDI contributing much/any money?). but it really could have helped with connectivity and reducing road traffic from other parts of Scotland and even Newcastle to the airport. I suppose (while not ideal) Edinburgh Gateway does act as a heavy rail link to the airport, it isn't without it's issues (i.e. no Dalmeny chord to the west).

Last edited:

InOban

Established Member

I think (and I've no inside knowledge ) that Fit for the Future was also a sensible response to a serious shortage of train crew, especially drivers. Before Covid a lot were approaching retirement and with such small cabs no traction or route learning took place - several cohorts of trainees were stuck. As these have joined their depots additional services have been introduced where the demand justified.

Carlisle

Established Member
Before Covid a lot were approaching retirement and with such small cabs no traction or route learning took place - several cohorts of trainees were stuck.
That wasn’t inevitable as Greater Anglia demonstrated during the pandemic .

EMU303

Good summary and thanks for putting it together. Whilst everything hasn’t gone according to plan and there are still things to be addressed, I think the list underlines the value of having a parliament in Edinburgh, I don’t believe everything on that list would have been approved if all the decisions were being made in London.

Dryce

Good summary and thanks for putting it together. Whilst everything hasn’t gone according to plan and there are still things to be addressed, I think the list underlines the value of having a parliament in Edinburgh, I don’t believe everything on that list would have been approved if all the decisions were being made in London.

My observation is that the railways in Scotland hit their nadir around 1982 or 1983. And since then we've seen a pattern or opening / or re-opening / improvement across the succeeding decades.

Moreover there was a strong and effective railway transport setup in the west around Strathclyde which was well established.

It's great that there have been several decades of improvement.

I think having a parliament in Edinburgh provides a means of providing impetus to some projects - but the risk is that the emphasis is on those that provide political engagement. So the Borders railway and stations such as Reston are good examples. OTOH the likes of EGIP and some of the other infrastructure stuff would progress anyway. So having a strong voice within Scotland is a good thing. On the other hand the ugly situation with regard to the ferries shows serves as a warning as to what can happen when politicians get too involved.

Wynd

You'd be as well adding Levenmouth seeing as its physically very close to completion.

A lot of good on the list, but there is a LOT to go at.

lordbusiness

I never understood how that was possible.
Proper risk assessment and effective controls. Good (in the main) IR. DIs and trainees paired off- no swapping and C19 tested very regularly- positive test by either DI or trainee- training stopped and not resumed until after isolation period and negative tests by both. Cabs cleaned after each use. Use of PPE and social distancing wherever possible. Offices, messrooms, classrooms etc reconfigured to minimise contact.
There were some spikes but contact tracing and internal investigation established that most cases were not contracted at work.
Also worth noting GA was in the middle of a complete fleet replacement and the drivers had to be trained, so stopping training completely was a no-go (although the slow rollout of the 720s from Derby for several reasons helped!)

Bill57p9

A third track was laid between Shields Junction and Arkleston to increase capacity between Glasgow Central and Paisley Gilmour Street, originally as part of the Glasgow Airport Rail Link project. I can’t recall the exact date but was something around 2015.
This allowed the Glasgow to Ayr service frequency to be doubled to 4tph though this was subsequently reversed in the Fit for the Future cuts.

2023 also saw Carstairs remodelling allowing faster Avanti, TPE and XC through services (though XC have now largely abandoned Glasgow).

The active travel 153s of the WHL are probably worth a mention. They may not have been as patronised as expected but the initiative to increase passenger and cycle space using cascaded stock is commendable.

InOban

Established Member
Proper risk assessment and effective controls. Good (in the main) IR. DIs and trainees paired off- no swapping and C19 tested very regularly- positive test by either DI or trainee- training stopped and not resumed until after isolation period and negative tests by both. Cabs cleaned after each use. Use of PPE and social distancing wherever possible. Offices, messrooms, classrooms etc reconfigured to minimise contact.
There were some spikes but contact tracing and internal investigation established that most cases were not contracted at work.
Also worth noting GA was in the middle of a complete fleet replacement and the drivers had to be trained, so stopping training completely was a no-go (although the slow rollout of the 720s from Derby for several reasons helped!)
But the new stock is fixed formation without corridor connections so the cabs are presumably larger and can accommodate two people with some spacing. Most Scotrail classes have tiny cabs, the DI has to stand in the vestibule.

Regarding infrastructure improvements, the recent installation of a trailing crossover on the approach to Dunblane now allows trains to depart from the platform loop. Previously trains had to run out of the station on the down line, returning via the existing crossover into the up platform As a result the main lines were occupied for most of each half hour. I don't understand why this wasn't put in during the egip program, it must make timetabling of IC and freight trains so much easier.

Railsigns

Established Member
A third track was laid between Shields Junction and Arkleston to increase capacity between Glasgow Central and Paisley Gilmour Street, originally as part of the Glasgow Airport Rail Link project. I can’t recall the exact date but was something around 2015.
It came into use in February 2012.

kaysha

The slightly depressing thing from this thread is just how quickly the years flash by! Is it really 14 years ago that the Bathgate to Airdrie line opened.

I know it's not all roses, but compared to down here in England the Scots seem to be much better organised. There is a bona fide plan to decarbonise and they are getting on with it with the rolling programme of electrification. Edinburgh - Glasgow services are far far superior to Manchester - Leeds - despite similar distances and population sizes. Fares are cheaper (£15 for a Ed-Glasgow off peak return v £26 for Man-Leeds), generally longer trains / more seats / less overcrowding and goodness knows when electrification with be completed for the transpennine route.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
On the face of it the upgrades to the sleeper both rolling stalk and things like lounges and showers are definitely a good thing, but I can't imagine Scottish government in its current form wanting to take too much credit for it as it was of course 50% match funded by evil Westminster

d9009alycidon

My observation is that the railways in Scotland hit their nadir around 1982 or 1983. And since then we've seen a pattern or opening / or re-opening / improvement across the succeeding decades.

Moreover there was a strong and effective railway transport setup in the west around Strathclyde which was well established.

I would agree with this statement if we were solely talking about the passenger railway. Sadly since 1982 freight traffic continues to contract, although in saying that it is more to do with the traditional rail using industries dissapearing.

Acfb

I think having a parliament in Edinburgh provides a means of providing impetus to some projects - but the risk is that the emphasis is on those that provide political engagement. So the Borders railway and stations such as Reston are good examples. OTOH the likes of EGIP and some of the other infrastructure stuff would progress anyway. So having a strong voice within Scotland is a good thing. On the other hand the ugly situation with regard to the ferries shows serves as a warning as to what can happen when politicians get too involved.

I largely agree with this WRT devolution but I've never really properly understood the criticism of the Borders railway (Edinburgh-Tweedbank). Reston is a different matter.

Tweedbank has the same number of passengers as Buxton (with Galashiels not far behind) despite Covid and the lack of new houses in the Borders compared to Midlothian. Hawick was also really isolated and needed access to a railhead. It's worked out well for Border Buses as well as they've been able to reorganise their services to feed the trains at Galashiels.

I'm not sure what will happen going forward. Peterhead/Fraserburgh is the only big opening that I can envisage and the Tories/SNP will be a lot more enthusiastic about that than Labour who will be probably more interested in the central belt/Fife/Dundee.

Personally I think the main priorities going forward should be in Fife and increasing capacity on the ECML in East Lothian.

Possibly Almond Chord as well but that might be some way off.

Status
Not open for further replies.