• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

26/09 Carnforth-Scarborough steam railtour delays

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

HST43257

Established Member
is the steam definitely still on? It’s making up a lot of time

Darandio

Established Member
Wow. Extremely fast, excellent run in that case.

There were 45 minutes saved on where it was booked to stop throughout so not quite as impressive as it first looks. Still made up a good 20 minutes on it's own though.

HST43257

Established Member
There were 45 minutes saved on where it was booked to stop throughout so not quite as impressive as it first looks. Still made up a good 20 minutes on it's own though.
Had some excellent stints of 75mph by the looks of it and also it’s incredibly interesting that it got the path through Skipton AND let out in front of a Cross Country at Leeds. An extremely rare occurrence I’d say.

Veteran Member
Had some excellent stints of 75mph by the looks of it and also it’s incredibly interesting that it got the path through Skipton AND let out in front of a Cross Country at Leeds. An extremely rare occurrence I’d say.
Seems to have gone pearshaped since - apparently still at Scarborough +60

Oxfordblues

Return leg caped throughout according to RTT. How is everyone going to get home?

Update: now reinstated.

_toommm_

Established Member
Still not set off by the looks of it. The ECS from York Railway Museum was cancelled earlier too, so that’s probably the reason why.

Swimbar

Still not set off by the looks of it. The ECS from York Railway Museum was cancelled earlier too, so that’s probably the reason why.
The movement from the NRM was to add Alberta to the train and run double headed from Scarborough for the return journey.
That should not have held up the train as British India Line was already at Scarborough.

blackfive460

The plan to double head back from Scarborough was abandoned during the preceding week.
The problem that caused the delayed departure from Scarborough was a defective coach which eventually had to be removed from the set.
The recovery of the coach and Galatea's return to Carnforth are yet to be arranged.

Andy Pacer

Established Member
The plan to double head back from Scarborough was abandoned during the preceding week.
The problem that caused the delayed departure from Scarborough was a defective coach which eventually had to be removed from the set.
The recovery of the coach and Galatea's return to Carnforth are yet to be arranged.
Do we know what the issue was with the coach?

CW2

Established Member
I was on this throughout yesterday.
BIL* was struggling to move the 12 coach train right from the outset. It was a cold morning with a layer of frost on the rails. We slithered to an undignified halt on several occasions, but careful driving managed to get us under way again each time. Passengers joined at both Wennington and Bentham, by which time we were about an hour late. Arrival at Hellifield Loop for water was about 75 minutes late. By then the sun was well up, and we were on rails that had previously been used by other trains, so BIL got going with only intermittent (rather than constant) slipping. There then followed a minor miracle - we managed to run non-stop from Hellifield to York via Leeds. Departing from Hellifield 57' late, the schedule included pathing stops at Skipton (14 mins) and Whitehall Jn (9 mins), but thanks to some good work by Control and the signallers, were were given a path straight through non-stop, arriving York 11 minutes late, so 21 minutes regained by the loco.
The majority of the passengers alighted at York. En route to Scarborough I thought we might even arrive on time, but the old demon of slipping reappeared, so the start from York was rather slow. We stopped for some time at an intermediate signal (Rillington maybe?) due to a report of brakes dragging at the rear of the train. Once we got going again, we got to Scarborough about 30 late, but were then held with the train half in and half out of platform 1 so the rear vehicles could be examined. Eventually we drew forward and alighted about 50 minutes late, in a rainstorm. Cheers.
BIL was detached for servicing. Only once it had been turned and watered could it be reattached to the train, and the issue of the dragging brakes investigated. The problem was that the brakes were slow to release, with only 14 inches of vacuum showing at the rear of the train (should be 21 inches). The problem was eventually traced to coach E, which had to be cut out of the train. To add to the problems, passengers had been allowed to leave their belonging on the train, so the stewards had to retrieve all the passengers' belongings from coach E and tranship to other coaches.
Eventually we did get going again, 106' late, which became 2+ hours late by Carnforth. The journey home was nearly all in the dark from Leeds. It was also rather chilly.
I had booked this tour expecting a single Jubilee on the outward and a pair on the return. Instead I got the unsuitable BIL alone both ways. Speculation on my part, but the non-appearance of Alberta might have been down to traincrew issues: WCRC were also responsible for running 46115 Carnforth - Carlisle and return around the coast for RTC yesterday, so they may have been running out of suitably qualified steam crews? It was certainly disappointing for me, whatever the cause. BIL could have done with a pilot.

There are several excellent YouTube videos documenting the morning progress of the train. Enjoy.

Thankfully there was just enough space to accommodate the passengers from coach E.

* BIL = 35018 British India Line.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Interesting post CW2. :D

Couple of questions. Is this the realtimetrains link for the return working out of Scarborough?

(If so, it looks well delayed!)

And what was the fare structure for travelling on board the service?

CW2

Established Member
Interesting post CW2. :D

Couple of questions. Is this the realtimetrains link for the return working out of Scarborough?

And what was the fare structure for travelling on board the service?
Yes,that's the correct link.
I can't remember the exact fares- it was a choice of Standard, First, or Premier Dining. It's aimed primarily at those from the local region, as it's a once-yearly special for the Lune Rivers Trust charity. By the time I came to book, I could only book Premier Dining, which was in the region of £170 for the day. The food was excellent, by the way.

Crossover

Established Member
I left Scarborough via service train on Saturday at 16:57 for a brief visit to Filey station and was surprised to see a load of people on p1 - looked on RTT to initially see nothing until I looked back and found the late runner. As we pulled out and passed the Excursion Sidings, the loco had been turned but was still on the Scarborough end of the rake. I returned to Scarborough just under an hour later and we passed the tour between Seamer and Scarborough (a bit of a shame as I wouldn't have minded a quick photo op at Scarborough!), though didn't notice the defective coach still in the siding

I spent much of the day on the North Bay Railway and wheelslip was an issue there too due to the rain - the guard was out sanding the rails at Beach station on one trip

Status
Not open for further replies.