• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

3.5 working - signalling

Status
Not open for further replies.

skyhigh

Established Member
Quick question for a signaller - what is 3.5 working please? I've heard and seen the phrase used but I'm not sure what it relates to (I'm not involved in signalling, as you may have guessed!!) Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Class 170101

Established Member
Manual working between two signal boxes as I recall.

Was made aware once of a situation between Liverpool Street IECC and Cambridge PSB where it was used where the signals failed between each other. I think trains had to be talked over the fringe of each box.

lineclear

Track circuit block regulation 3.5

It's used where an acceptance is needed between two signal boxes on a TCB line. This could be because of track circuit failures, unreliable track circuits or other situations. It's similar to basic absolute block, but without the block instruments.

(Some people also incorrectly use the term '3.5 working' to refer to unreliable track circuits within one signaller's control.)

carriageline

Established Member
Sometimes called block working.

It’s mainly for when signaller A needs to talk past their last signal at danger, but doesn’t know when the line is clear upto signaller Bs first signal + overlap. (Can be used in a variety of scenarios though, ESW, TBW, single line working etc)

So Signaller A calls B, and asks “is line clear for 1Z11”

signaller B will then say “yes line is clear for 1z11”

signaller a will then authorise the train into the section, and tell signaller B “trainentering section”

signaller b then tells A when the train is ”out of section”

this is then restarted for each train!

SilentGrade

There’s a good example of how it works actually under the regulation in TS2.

You’ll hear it a lot at the moment because it’s a mainstay during autumn where you have unreliable track circuits between two signal boxes.

High Dyke

Established Member
There’s a good example of how it works actually under the regulation in TS2.

You’ll hear it a lot at the moment because it’s a mainstay during autumn where you have unreliable track circuits between two signal boxes.
Indeed. As autumn season has just started I'm waiting for it to be introduced soon. Deep joy!

Status
Not open for further replies.