• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

3 Voyagers in Euston Platform 1 today

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peregrine 4903

Established Member
This evening coming in on 1B52 into Euston which was formed of 10 coaches, we were routed into Platform 1 as usual. Only unusual thing is that there was already another 5 coach voyager already in Platform 1. Unless RTT is showing wrong and we were a 5 car but I'm certain we were a 10 car, this is something I've certainly never seen happen before at Euston.

Anyone else know of this ever happening either?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Merle Haggard

Established Member
This evening coming in on 1B52 into Euston which was formed of 10 coaches, we were routed into Platform 1 as usual. Only unusual thing is that there was already another 5 coach voyager already in Platform 1. Unless RTT is showing wrong and we were a 5 car but I'm certain we were a 10 car, this is something I've certainly never seen happen before at Euston.

Anyone else know of this ever happening either?

When Virgin ran the International to Euston shuttles via Chiltern because of engineering work a few years ago 15 car Voyagers were used. The third DMF was coach 'Q' - I photo'd the display.

Peregrine 4903

Established Member
When Virgin ran the International to Euston shuttles via Chiltern because of engineering work a few years ago 15 car Voyagers were used. The third DMF was coach 'Q' - I photo'd the display.
This was just a 10 car platform sharing with a 5 car from what I can see, but still very rare.

godfreycomplex

Established Member
By my count a length of 356 metres, which will comfortably fit in platforms 1 and 15 at Euston (and possibly squeeze in 2 as well).
Can’t quite remember what happened at International though as 356 is too long for all the platforms there. Outside the scope of the thread however.
Peregrine 4903 is right to say that it is very unusual though, so buy a lottery ticket!

Established Member
Think 3 voyagers will fit on 1 and 3 and both 15 and 16 but don't quote me on that.

Wilts Wanderer

Established Member
Not 3 Voyagers but I once arrived into Euston P16 on a 221 on top of a 390 which was very unexpected. I don’t recall what length the 390 was but I do remember the rear cab of the 221 was barely on the platform, could it have possibly been an 11-car?

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Euston like many terminals will allow “permissive working”. Platform 1 tends to be the longest at most stations. So yes such instances are rarely but totally feasible if you need some flexibility, to get out of a jam or if you going to swap units around and starting attaching/detaching the middle unit to the front/rear.

Peregrine 4903

Established Member
Euston like many terminals will allow “permissive working”. Platform 1 tends to be the longest at most stations. So yes such instances are rarely but totally feasible if you need some flexibility, to get out of a jam or if you going to swap units around and starting attaching/detaching the middle unit to the front/rear.
Oh no I know its feasilble, just surprised it happened. Incredibly rare. Certainly not planned like that in the WTT.

Merle Haggard

Established Member
By my count a length of 356 metres, which will comfortably fit in platforms 1 and 15 at Euston (and possibly squeeze in 2 as well).
Can’t quite remember what happened at International though as 356 is too long for all the platforms there. Outside the scope of the thread however.
Peregrine 4903 is right to say that it is very unusual though, so buy a lottery ticket!
I think we went into/out of 2 but possibly 1. Meant that most of the concourse could be segregated off from what I remember.

I travelled on these twice, I think; they were pick-up only at Coventry so being too long for the platform wasn't crucial - except once a L.M. driver travelling pass. International to Coventry wanted to alight from the coach off the platform & caused a bit of delay. Funnily enough, don't remember anything special on the returns - I always went through to Int..

First time I was disappointed because I had missed the 57s /Pretendolino thanks to L.M. incompetence (though I did it later) so unlucky and had to make do with a triple Voyager. Interesting that the system coped with 15 by going up to 'Q', not sure what letters were omitted, and odd that 'Q' was used.

Merle Haggard

Established Member
A couple of points.

I think it was Watford re-modelling, but there were several Sundays, not necessarily consecutive, when the Chiltern diverts were on, and it was all day - can't remember the headway but certainly every two hours or less. The early iterations were double Voyagers through from further North but this resulted in severe overcrowding, so it then changed to Pendos working North of International and all available Voyagers as triples (plus the Pretendolino/57s on an off peak working) working International - Cov (p.u.only) - Euston. I recollect they were called 'the Euston shuttles' ???
As they were the only trains running in and out of Euston from the main line platforms (the L.O. prob. not running either) and they turned round in 1/2 hour so only one at a time, blocking access to other platforms wouldn't have been an operational problem (but possibly a signalling/RA one ).

Pumbaa

Established Member
Would be madness to plan such a thing in the WTT!
Used to be a few years ago for at least one timetable period. Ex Euston, 1603 5-221 sat on top of 1620 9-390 as part of WTT. Plat 15.

I think there were other permutations as well for short periods, but I don’t recall them lasting long or the original being a reliable plan, as set swaps at Euston meant less than half of inbound returned on their booked working.

Meyrick

The single voyager would normally stable at Wembley and come back for 9G41 however today there was no driver available so it was stabled in London Euston instead. As it's only a 5-car, with enough notice NR can platform it appropriately and other trains can be dropped on top using permissive working.

Sweetjesus

I took an Avanti to Birmingham from Euston yesterday (13:40) - it was a 9 coach pendo sitting at the front end of platform 1.

Platform 1 already had a 5 coach voyager in it. Never seen this before and I wouldn't have believed it'd fit until I had seen it yesterday. I wonder if it can also fit 11 coach pendo alongside with 5 coach voyager?

The Planner

Veteran Member
I took an Avanti to Birmingham from Euston yesterday (13:40) - it was a 9 coach pendo sitting at the front end of platform 1.

Platform 1 already had a 5 coach voyager in it. Never seen this before and I wouldn't have believed it'd fit until I had seen it yesterday. I wonder if it can also fit 11 coach pendo alongside with 5 coach voyager?
Yes, it has about 14m spare.

FManc

Yes, it has about 14m spare.

Yes it’s damn tight though! As I was pulled out of Euston recently I was wondering why a 390 was right up to the signal on platform 1. Certainly a long walk up to the front!

ruaival

I and O would be the most likely ones. The Sleeper has up to 16 coaches
Caledonian Sleeper - back in First Scotrail days was usually 16 coaches on both Lowlander and Highlander services. Only platforms 1 and 15 are long enough to accomodate 1x locomotive 16x coaches 1x locomotive if I recall, 15 is slightly longer than 16 to fit this in.

The format for Lowlander back then was Glasgow Lounge/Seated plus 4 Standard Sleepers plus 3 First class Sleepers (leading) followed by reverse-formation Edinburgh equivalent which resulted in a long long walk for alighting Edinburgh seated passengers at Euston.

my recollections are from a year 2005-06 of keeping an eye on the Sunday services for Passenger Focus
( just one significant delay - 3h 'cos of trackside fatality in the Lakes )

Status
Not open for further replies.