• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

30 longest heritage preserved railways in the UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

vlad

I think Keith and Dufftown see themselves as more of a community asset than a preservation movement. I gather the route is dulled by speed restrictions so can feel like a bit of a crawl.

I will go on it some day though!

I'd recommend it - it's the only preserved line I've been on where staff hand out whisky and give a running commentary on what you can see through the window. I appreciate that probably won't happen every journey, of course, although the scenery would be pretty good all year.

It also goes from somewhere to somewhere else, unlike a lot of preserved railways which just end in the middle of nowhere. You do need to be a DMU fan, however.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
The line from Wirksworth station to Ravenstor Halt is 1 in 30, tightening to 1 in 27 for a short distance near Ravenstor.

Thanks for that.

Edit - I’ve updated the list. If anyone finds any more long railways can you please make sure that they’re somewhere around 27/28th on the list and not 2nd please… :lol:

Last edited:

railfan99

Established Member
Interesting that quite a few of the longer lines lack a connection to Network Rail.

For some innovative railways, the latter can be a handy source of additional revenue, much needed in challenging economic times.

zwk500

Veteran Member
Interesting that quite a few of the longer lines lack a connection to Network Rail.

For some innovative railways, the latter can be a handy source of additional revenue, much needed in challenging economic times.
As moves by road are cheaper than moves by rail, a mainline connection is often not as significant as its made out to be. What does tend to matter is having a cross platform interchange with National Rail, or at least adjacent station entrances.

Harvester

Established Member
The line from Wirksworth station to Ravenstor Halt is 1 in 30, tightening to 1 in 27 for a short distance near Ravenstor.
Drifting a little off topic, but the nearby and now long closed Cromford & High Peak line had more severe gradients and is worth mentioning. Although not a passenger line some special excursions ran using open wagons and brake vans, especially prior to closure. On the last day (30/4/67) a pair of J94s (68006 & 68012) stalled on the 1 in 14 Hopton incline when hauling enthusiasts in six crowded brake vans, and the train had to be reversed and split. The steepest gradient was 1 in 8 between High Peak Junction and Sheep Pasture (on the Sheep Pasture incline), but clearly wagons had to be worked up and down this section by cable and winding gear.

Last edited:

brstd4260

It was at the Fawley Hill Railway near Henley-on-Thames. A Class 03 and a single coach was the train and normally worked. I was told that when adhesion is poor they do not operate which is understandable!
The incline at Fawley peaks at 1 in 14 with a short stretch at 1 in 13. We operate the 03 as stated but most of the time it's an Hudswell-Clarke 0-6-0T ( McAlpine 31). It does make an impressive sight (and sound) coming up the incline at full blast, albeit unsurprisingly not very fast

12LDA28C

Established Member
The incline at Fawley peaks at 1 in 14 with a short stretch at 1 in 13. We operate the 03 as stated but most of the time it's an Hudswell-Clarke 0-6-0T ( McAlpine 31). It does make an impressive sight (and sound) coming up the incline at full blast, albeit unsurprisingly not very fast

Thanks for the info. I was quite happy with the ex-BR 03 myself, not so interested in industrial locos or steam personally. A lovely little railway though.

railfan99

Established Member
I was thinking along the lines of it not quite falling into the UK category technically. I’m not sure what others think but it would definitely make quite a big difference to the list…

Given the involvement of volunteers, it "just" qualifies. I am fortunate to have travelled on that marvellous railway and the associated tramways (horse and electric) years ago, using the ferry from Heysham after a rail journey to connect. The ferry was full of working class locals playing cards and smoking: it was 1993.

E759

Where do our other members score on lines bashed?
I'm missing Ravenglass & Keith/Dufftown. Pre-covid I had Ravenglass on the books and ready to go. Keith/Dufftown slipped me by entirely! Retrospectively kicking myself as I visited Strathspey in 2019.

On the SG lines I've done all bar Strathspey & SDR as public transport day trips (from Horsham, West Sussex). Many of the NG as public transport day trips too including memorable WHR+FR and an anti-clockwise FR Round Robin.

OP should carefully consult the Wensleydale & Weardale calendars and timetables before visiting to avoid disappointment.

railfan99

Established Member
OP should carefully consult the Wensleydale & Weardale calendars and timetables before visiting to avoid disappointment.

Indeed he should, so I have consulted these and unfortunately discovered I cannot fit them in. I may do them in 2024: a difficulty with Weardale is it doesn't always operate on the complete preserved line from its Bishop Auckland station.

12LDA28C

Established Member
Indeed he should, so I have consulted these and unfortunately discovered I cannot fit them in. I may do them in 2024: a difficulty with Weardale is it doesn't always operate on the complete preserved line from its Bishop Auckland station.

A further consideration might be if one needs to traverse the main line connection onto a preserved railway to be able to count the 'complete preserved line'. This would usually only be possible in most cases via a charter train running from the national network onto the heritage railway.

railfan99

Established Member
A further consideration might be if one needs to traverse the main line connection onto a preserved railway to be able to count the 'complete preserved line'. This would usually only be possible in most cases via a charter train running from the national network onto the heritage railway.

I have booked on a Railway Touring Company special to Wareham and Swanage in September 2023. I could book on one of its specials to Minehead that covers Taunton-Norton Fitzwarren-Bishops Lydeard but have other lines to cover. Agree: a difficult assignment1

Titfield

Established Member
I have booked on a Railway Touring Company special to Wareham and Swanage in September 2023. I could book on one of its specials to Minehead that covers Taunton-Norton Fitzwarren-Bishops Lydeard but have other lines to cover. Agree: a difficult assignment1

Swanage Railway are operating a regular scheduled service between Wareham and Swanage this summer so you can traverse the whole preserved line.

It will be using the Class 117 and 121 DMUs though operated by West Coast Railways staff on the WCR licence.

railfan99

Established Member
Swanage Railway are operating a regular scheduled service between Wareham and Swanage this summer so you can traverse the whole preserved line.

It will be using the Class 117 and 121 DMUs though operated by West Coast Railways staff on the WCR licence.

That ceases before I could use it, given my flight bookings. But thanks, even though I was aware of it. Hopefully despite the apparently poor (lengthy) connections form London, it carries many.

Vespa

Established Member
There is also the GCR(N) at 9 miles long. If we wait a couple of years, as the "Gap" is filled, then the GCR will be 18 miles long.
Is both GCR(N) and GCR(S) double tracked as I believe they make the claim that they're the only double tracked preserved railway, I wasn't to sure if its both or only one of them.

12LDA28C

Established Member
Is both GCR(N) and GCR(S) double tracked as I believe they make the claim that they're the only double tracked preserved railway, I wasn't to sure if its both or only one of them.

I believe it's only the GCR (south) that lays claim to that. They are AFAIK also the only preserved railway that allows train running above 25mph, in certain circumstances.

zwk500

Veteran Member
I believe it's only the GCR (south) that lays claim to that. They are AFAIK also the only preserved railway that allows train running above 25mph, in certain circumstances.
Correct on both counts - although some NYMR trains operate above 25mph when on NR metals.

steamybrian

Established Member
The Romney, Hythe and Dymchurch Railway is double track between Hythe and New Romney.

The Spa Valley Railway is the only standard gauge heritage railway to buy a double track line with double track in situ. They have since singled most of the line but used the second track in places to form the loopat Groombridge or sidings.

zwk500

Veteran Member
The Romney, Hythe and Dymchurch Railway is double track between Hythe and New Romney.
Technically the RHDR is not a preserved railway, having been operated as a commercial entity from the outset and was never part of the national rail system (but it is splitting hairs).
The Spa Valley Railway is the only standard gauge heritage railway to buy a double track line with double track in situ. They have since singled most of the line but used the second track in places to form the loopat Groombridge or sidings.
Didn't they have to reinstate the loop at Groombridge as part of going out to Eridge, so they had totally singled it at one point?

Some heritage railways may have stretches of track where they can create the effect of double track, such as the Bluebell at Horsted Keynes, but they are still very much single-tracked lines.

steamybrian

Established Member
Technically the RHDR is not a preserved railway, having been operated as a commercial entity from the outset and was never part of the national rail system (but it is splitting hairs).

Didn't they have to reinstate the loop at Groombridge as part of going out to Eridge, so they had totally singled it at one point?

Some heritage railways may have stretches of track where they can create the effect of double track, such as the Bluebell at Horsted Keynes, but they are still very much single-tracked lines.
I am aware that the RHDR was never part of the national rail system but it is a heritage railway.

After the Spa Valley Railway purchased the line in 1996 the best bits of both tracks were used to make one good single line. Some sections of the redundant track were sold to other heritage railways. Initially services began in December 1996 with push/pull service for about three quarters of a mile from Tunbridge Wells West. (note the redundant second track). Meanwhile further lineside clearance work was undertaken along the line (see attached second photograph taken at the site of the original High Rocks Halt)

The Spa Valley Railway operated the loop line at Groombridge from when they first opened to Groombridge in 1997. Trains from Tunbridge Wells West terminated at Groombridge station and then ran forward to the loop for the loco to run round before returning back to TWW via Groombridge station. The points were then operated from a ground frame. As part of the scheme of opening to Eridge the signal box was built and the control of points/signals transferred to the signal box.

Attachments

• 2013-01-13_51.JPG
    2013-01-13_51.JPG
    563.3 KB · Views: 28
  • 2013-01-13_32.JPG
    2013-01-13_32.JPG
    574.7 KB · Views: 28

LiftFan

These days can we count the Bakerloo Line? At this point in time it seems heritage enough :lol:

philthetube

Established Member
weren't they all?

paul1609

Established Member
Technically the RHDR is not a preserved railway, having been operated as a commercial entity from the outset and was never part of the national rail system (but it is splitting hairs
Splitting hairs even finer technically the RHDR (and the K&ESR) were both “nationalised" from 1939 to 1946 as they were requisitioned by the war department as Frontline railways and operated by the Royal Engineers.

Status
Not open for further replies.