• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

37087 hauling a measurement train?

Status
Not open for further replies.

voodoodanny

Hi,

I'm new to railway 'enthusiasm' and this is my first post here so forgive my naivety to the workings of the forum; I was working in the station bar at Sheffield last Friday (4th March) when I happened to glance up to see 37087 in DRS livery, sat on platform 2 with a rake of yellow Network Rail measurement coaches - possibly converted from Mk2's?

04032011289.jpg

I managed to snap this very quick shot of it on my phone through the window before it roared away. I've seen the HST based New Measurement Train pass through Sheffield a few times but this struck me as quite an unusual sight - can anyone tell me more about it? It made my day!

Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

deltic1989

Established Member
That's a pretty good picture, considering its a mobile, and through a window. great stuff. Welcome to the forum by the way. I can't really tell you any details, but we are blessed with some really knowledgeable people on this forum, so there will be someona along soon to fill you in (on the 37 not in any other way :lol:)

class313

Yeah, it was operating 1Q69 (Derby-Derby via Sheffield), I believe two of the coaches were from the New Measurement Train (MK3's), and two are converted MK2's. These types of measurement trains are becoming rather frequent, but they do not usually use coaches from the NMT in the consist, they are usually just MK2's/MK1's, (or MK3's on the NMT), usually being hauled by Network Rail class 31's/73's or DRS class 37's (even though the latter is becoming harder to see). Hope this helps.
EDIT: There is also a video of it on that working here (not mine)

Established Member
Have to say you work in a pretty impressive location - both the station and the bar!

voodoodanny

Aah, thank you so much! I didn't spot the Mk3's in the consist at the time - are they the very same coaches I've seen numerous times sandwiched between two 43s as part of the NMT then? I also didn't spot the guy with the camera at the north end of platform 1b either - I am actually just out of shot in that vid, peering out through a window with my trusty phone camera in hand!

And 142094, I'm guessing you've popped in the Tap for a few before now, then? You're not the young guy with the thick Lancastrian accent are you? Either way, ask for Dan next time you're in and we can talk railways for a bit! ;)

Hydro

Established Member
Mk3 trailers in a loco hauled rake normally indicate that they are on test or calibration, as they only work within the NMT rake. I have a feeling that this may be the Plain Line Pattern Recognition test train - new test equipment for the NMT that is going on trial.

Loco hauled regular test trains are Mk2 or Mk1 vehicles for track geometry, ultrasonics or radio surveying. DRS 37's are normally only used regularly when working Anglia now. A few have cropped up on recovery runs during loco shortages.

I'm surprised you've not seen more test trains at Sheffield. Everything going east goes through there.

Last edited:

Established Member
And 142094, I'm guessing you've popped in the Tap for a few before now, then? You're not the young guy with the thick Lancastrian accent are you? Either way, ask for Dan next time you're in and we can talk railways for a bit! ;)

Aye I've been in a few times, but I have a thick Geordie accent as well. Next time I'm in I'll see if you're around.

One of the mk.3 coaches has been fitted with new object recognition software and presumably has got to accumulate x amount of fault free miles before being re-inserted into the NMT. Yesterday the set worked from Derby to Derby via Burton, Wolverhampton, Hereford and Gloucester. 37087 has now sadly returned to Crewe, although I've heard that the set might be out again next week, behind a different loco I would guess. 37218, 409 & 610 are moving from Crewe to Derby RTC this afternoon.

Hydro

Established Member
Interestingly the PLPR test train did a test run from RTC to Chaddesden behind the RTC 08 not so long ago. Granted that's only up the goods lines and back, but the first test train behind a jocko.

Toad

37 087 left Wolverhampton at 13.34 yesterday after a short stop/crew change heading north.

Black Split Box, looked dreadful !!!

Hydro

Established Member
Here is the stupid question of the day: what exactly does it measure?

This train isn't a regular test train like the UTU's, NMT, TRU, SGT etc. The Development Vehicle from the NMT (the one with the pantograph and some other measurement kit) has been fitted with new equipment known as Plain Line Pattern Recognition. This train was formed to take the Development Vehicle out in a rake to test this new equipment that it basically works, and the acceptance and test procedure can begin.

Plain Line Pattern Recognition is, as far as I know (not being involved with the NMT or the development of new measurement technology) a system of cameras and software that can "inspect" the track. The ultimate aim is for a camera and computer system to record the track and tell if anything is broken or missing, based on a database of known "patterns" that the camera images can be compared to. It's like the camera can pick up the shape and position of rail components, compare it to a database of images and tell if the component is damaged or broken. The Plain Line part of the system indicates it is for use on plain track, not switches and crossings.

Status
Not open for further replies.