• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

376 at Ashford

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shug

I’ve heard that a 376 is moving to Ashford down sidings tomorrow (15/05) for driver training.

Anyone able to confirm that?

If true does anyone know which depots are being trained and what routes they will be working?

TIA

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jedipickles

Yup, 5R06 Grove Park to Ashford is bringing in a 376 for traction training courses for the 375/465 drivers based at Ashford depot as 376s will be running out of Ashford soon..

Shug

Yup, 5R06 Grove Park to Ashford is bringing in a 376 for traction training courses for the 375/465 drivers based at Ashford depot as 376s will be running out of Ashford soon..
Interesting, do you know what routes they will be working?

4-SUB 4732

Established Member

For goodness sake...

What possible route could they want them for? They are woefully unsuited to anything Ashford-centric, unless the Ashford drivers are going to start doing 'something else' further towards London.

JammyJames08

For goodness sake...

What possible route could they want them for? They are woefully unsuited to anything Ashford-centric, unless the Ashford drivers are going to start doing 'something else' further towards London.
Could it be something to do with chart leacon reopening?

brad465

Established Member
For goodness sake...

I agree, they would only be suited to any local services needed, which is rare considering almost everything goes to/from a London terminal. It wouldn't surprise me if they were pushed that way by the arrival of 707s, although really both classes should stay put for Metro operations.

Could it be something to do with chart leacon reopening?
I'm not aware of significant progress on this as things stand (of course it would be great if there is), while unless Chart Leacon will acquire full maintenance capabilities, 376s are better off going to Ramsgate still for that on ECS runs.

BluePenguin

On Moderation
For goodness sake...

Could they be to re-instate the Ashford stopping services which used to exist 10 years ago? These were formerly run with Class 465s I believe so using another metro class such as 376s would make sense.

This would allow 375s to be freed up to provide the express services promised in the upcoming new franchise.

Chart Leacon? Perhaps in a similar way, the 376s will serve Ashford - Victoria to free up the current 377s for the long awaited Cambridge services instead of 700s

Last edited:

4-SUB 4732

Established Member
Reliably informed it’s actually only shunt drivers learning them, not main line drivers. This is because Grove Park drivers will take them Grove Park <> Ashford but they don’t sign any sidings / anything east of Ashford.

Shug

The track in Chart Leacon has been worked and looks pretty clear though the access from Ashford station side still has a couple of small trees in it, so progress has been made

brad465

Established Member
Could they be to re-instate the Ashford stopping services which used to exist 10 years ago? These were formerly run with Class 465s I believe so using another metro class such as 376s would make sense.

This would allow 375s to be freed up to provide the express services promised in the upcoming new franchise.

Chart Leacon? Perhaps in a similar way, the 376s will serve Ashford - Victoria to free up the current 377s for the long awaited Cambridge services instead of 700s
376s would be worse than 465s I think for those services if they come about, no toilets all the way is the biggest issue and while the 376s do standing better than 465s, this is best suited for metro runs, not for standing all the way to somewhere like Tonbridge or Paddock Wood.

Established Member
For goodness sake...

Unless there’s a plan for them to be maintained at Ashford and driven to and from there ECS for inspections?

AIUI they are currently maintained at Ramsgate (driven down there by Gillingham drivers), as there is no capacity at Slade Green.

Status
Not open for further replies.