• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

390 033

Status
Not open for further replies.

Was looking back through some railway magazines from earlier this year, and I see that the two Pendolino carriages from 390 033 which had been at the fire service training place at Moreton in Marsh for a number of years were taken to Newport for scrapping in January. Slightly surprising really – I know they replace with newer cast-off railway stock periodically, but they aren’t going to be able to obtain anything newer than those!

That means that only three vehicles now survive from the set of nine:

Coach B – at Cranfield University’s accident investigation training department, minus bogies and propped up on what appear to be piles of sleepers. It can be seen in some of their promotional videos.
Coaches C (shop) and K (first class driving car) at the Avanti (formerly Virgin) training centre in Crewe.

I found some photos online of Coach C soon after the accident, and again after preparation for training use, and it was actually quite badly damaged on one side, with one leading corner stove in and the other door on the same side badly bashed, along with other bashes and dents along the bodyside. This no doubt accounts for it ending up like this after repair:

https://s3.eu-west-2.amazonaws.com/images.locoscene.co.uk/sess/m487_1280610085.jpg

Both passenger doors clearly plated over on that side, along with the gangway. Does anyone know how they did this, given that it’s aluminium which is notoriously difficult to weld? Was it a case of cutting out the damaged bits and cosmetically replacing with steel framework, sheet and filler? Not managed to find any photos of the inside of the vestibule areas to see how it looks there.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Liverpool 507

I've seen photos on LinkedIn recently which show the two coaches from 390033 at the training centre in Crewe undergoing stripping of the Virgin livery and Avanti being applied.

I've seen photos on LinkedIn recently which show the two coaches from 390033 at the training centre in Crewe undergoing stripping of the Virgin livery and Avanti being applied.

Got any links?

Wonder whether they will refit coach C to match the refurbished Pendolinos? The type of seats probably won't matter for training purposes but I can't imagine a completely different shop / buffet configuration to the 'live' fleet would be much use.

Liverpool 507

Got any links?

Wonder whether they will refit coach C to match the refurbished Pendolinos? The type of seats probably won't matter for training purposes but I can't imagine a completely different shop / buffet configuration to the 'live' fleet would be much use.

I don’t unfortunately but I’m sure some photos will do the rounds soon. It’s an interesting one to keep an eye on.

HarryL

Not managed to find any photos of the inside of the vestibule areas to see how it looks there.
Could be wrong, but the interior was also used at some point to trial a concept refurb that didn't end up happening wasn't it?

Could be wrong, but the interior was also used at some point to trial a concept refurb that didn't end up happening wasn't it?

It was used for trialling some new passenger information system elements (the company involved posted pictures on their website at the time), but so far as I know nothing more substantial than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.