• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

40065 travels around Calabria and Lombardy

Status
Not open for further replies.

QJ

To cut a long story short the late afternoon of 28 December 2018 found me at Reggio di Calabria Airport railway station having flown in from Heathrow courtesy of Alitalia via a change of plane at Rome's Fiumicino Airport. A bonus of this flight was a Mount Etna fly past in glorious sunshine.

The downside was misjudging how far the walk from the airport terminal building to the station with the same name was. Needless to say I spent more time at the stazione than I had planned. 70 minutes more in fact. At least it afforded me the privilege of watching the sun setting behind the imposing outline of a certain rumbling volcano. The airport station had been opened in 2013 but had the air of underuse with the station building locked up seemingly never used. A sign hung nearby suggesting the provision of a shuttle bus to and from the airport terminal building. I am not convinced that this service still runs.

Day 1 of my one country Interrail and my first conveyance rolled in on time at 1629 in the form of an ME Minuetto 3 car electric unit. A shame as 464.031 had worked a stopper in the opposite direction towards Melito di Porto Salvo (limit of electrification at the western end of the Ionian Railway line) a half hour earlier.

Originally I had hoped to drop by my hotel outside Reggio d C. Centrale to check in before heading off up the west coast of Calabria to track bash the coastal route between Rosarno and Lamezia Terme. Undetered by my false start I caught up with my planned itinerary by staying on the ME set beyond the 4.9kms to Centrale station all the way to Rosarno (letting the hotel manager know of my impending later than expected arrival in the process). In the gathering gloom of a Mediterranean setting sun I noted some light rail vehicles outside the Hitachi factory before Omeca station, withdrawn ETR450 Pendolini and Aln663/8 diesel railcars around Reggio di C. depot and adjacent sidings and the train ferry berths at Villa San Giovanni.

At Rosarno it was a short wait before 464.035 whisked me around the singled coastal route to Lamezia Terme. As I arrived on platform 2 at Lamezia a regional from Cosenza arrived on the adjacent platform 3 heading in the opposite direction. My original intention had been to await IC555 from Rome. However an hour or so earlier arrival at the hotel was on offer so 464.226 was taken back to Reggio di C. by the direttissima route via the Francica Tunnel constructed in the late 1960s.

The drama of the day had not quite finished as, although the hotel was almost opposite the central station, I managed to walk past it three times before the hotel manager came looking for me and pointed me at the hotel entrance. Oops. Having spent the previous night at Heathrow Airport and with an early start the following day plus Mary Poppins dubbed into Italian on TV slumber beckoned.

Distance travelled (by train) 268kms

ME126 R22713/4 Reggio d C. Aeroport to Rosarno 65.4 kms
464.035 R22686 Rosarno to Lamezia Terme Centrale 81.7 kms
464.226 R3762/9 Lamezia Terme Centrale to Reggio d C. Centrale 120.7 kms

Day 2 to follow...........................

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

QJ

Day2 dawned and I was up in good time to be at the station to catch the raison d'etre for my visit to Calabria; the 07:35 Reggio di Calabria to Taranto diesel hauled inter city service. This had been on the to do list for some time being the only diesel hauled IC service in Italy (not counting the D145s gronking the Sicily through coaches on and of the train ferries). My first attempt at travelling the length of the Ionian Sea coastal railway line had met with a bowl out in the shape of a rail replacement bus service when there was only one train each way a day over the full 472 kms length of the line.

The recent December timetable change had doubled the service only for the section at the east end between Sibari and Metaponto (junction for the line from Taranto to Napoli) due to close from 07 January. Cue me boarding coach one of the two coach train after a wander around Centrale station to view the withdrawn ETR450 sets with that volcano towering behind.
20181229ReggioDC_IC564_445.1128.jpg 20181229ReggioDC_ETR450withdrawn.jpg

Despite having a reservation a local had decided to commandeer my seat with his coat hanging up in the window. I settled into an unoccupied forward facing bay on the seaward side of the train for the six hour journey. Unfortunately seat reservations can be made up to the departure of the train so I got evicted before too long and had to move. There being no refreshments on IC trains I made do with bottled water and biscuits. Life can be tough! The line is single with passing loops beyond the end of electrification at Melito di Porto Salvo and a number of unadvertised stops were made along the line waiting for 663 and 668 units to pass on local services.

Catanzaro Lido was the first place of rail interest with a direct line trailing in from Lamezia Terme before the station (one to tick off for another day) and the old line to Lamezia via Catanzaro Sala diverging to the left beyond where the depot is situated. Catenzaro Lido is also at the southern end of the 950mm gauge Ferrovie della Calabria that links Cosenza with Catenzaro. Unfortunately part of the FC route has been replaced by a bus service so it isn't possible to travel the full length of the line by train.

At Crotone the first of the two westbound IC trains was crossed. D445.1141 was on that train and I noted not to chance swapping trains on day 3. Crew seemed to change from westbound to eastbound at Ciro and eastbound to westbound at Catanzaro Lido. At Rossano four Fersalento Lecce operated diesel locos used for engineering trains was noted; 270.247, 270.598 and 270.245 with one not identified. I have been trying to find out what the original ID of these machines was but without success so far.

Another Fersalento Lecce loco was spotted at Sibari along with ex SNCB class 51 locos 5121 and 5133. The following day I got off the train at Sibari to have a closer look and got accosted by station security for photographing around the station. I was told to delete the images which I duly did - not.

20181230Sibari_Pway_SNCBclass51.jpg 20181230Sibari_Pway_UIDloco.jpg

Before Sibari station the electrified line from Cosenza trails in left. The electrification continues beyond Sibari to Metaponto and on to Taranto. It is this section that lost its IC rail service with local services replaced by buses supposedly whilst further upgrades are made to the route. At Metaponto the second of the ICs was waiting in the station. As soon as my train had rolled into the station the westbound IC was on its way. No leap between the two here then. Back on track covered the year before on an IC to Napoli via Potenza I prepared to get off having completed my main reason for the trip to Italy. Knowing from my visit of the year before that the area around the station is not the nicest I made a beeline for the station bar which was thankfully open for a sandwich and beer to toast a successful journey and required D445 haulage. 245.2282 appeared whilst I was enjoying a break to shunt the IC565 empty stock westwards to the depot carriage sidings.

My hotel room for the night was in Bari (no island). However, I forsook the regional 464 hauled trains on the direct services via Gioia del Colle instead heading to Lecce. I would have preferred to have taken a standard gauge Ferrovie del Sud Est service to Bari via Putignano but that service has been replaced by a bus too. However, instead of travelling to Brindisi I sampled the FSE (recently taken over by the State Railway) route to Lecce by changing trains at Francavilla Fontana. The line between Taranto and Brindisi is single track and electrified with trains passing at Francavilla. Having got off a Minuetto EMU a 464 powered train crossed heading to Taranto. There was a seemingly out of use class 214 (number 1127) diesel shunter in the sidings to photograph whilst waiting for the FSE services to arrive.

20181229FrancovillaFontana214.1127.jpg 20181229FrancovillaFontana464.127.jpg 20181229FrancovillaFontanaFSE668.3243.jpg

My train arrived first off the FSE line to Martina Franca which heads north west from Francovilla and waited for the service heading the other way. My steed to Lecce was formed of a class 668 railcar as was the opposite working that arrived a few minutes late delaying my departure. The line speed was not particularly high speed and there was a seemingly lengthy stop at Manduria leaving me wondering if I would miss my connection to Bari at Lecce. However, I needn't have worried. as the 668 arrived at Lecce in good time for me to catch the ICN to Milan that would take me to Bari via Brindisi. More new track having not been that far south east in Italy before.

20181229LecceFSE_DE.122_404.jpg 20181229LecceICN758+ICN752.jpg

On arrival at Lecce there was enough time to view one of the FSE class DE.122 locos before boarding the Inter City Night (ICN) train departing at 18:31 headed by 444.009. It is compulsory to reserve a seat (or accommodation) on ICNs all year round unlike most ICs where it is only mandatory in the summer months. The day coaches were right at the back of the train which after Brindisi headed for Bari Centrale via Taranto instead of the direct line up the Adriatic Coast. A lot of passengers in the day coaches were making short journeys and this section of the train was quite full as a result at least to Bari Centrale where I bailed and headed off to my hotel for a few hours rest and a nice steak and beer before having to get up early to catch the train back to Taranto. Noted before arriving at Bari was work to create a new rail alignment between Bitetto Palo del Colle and Modugno Citta. I presume the 444 ran round its train to continue on to Milan as the Taranto line trails in from the north but I didn't hang around to find out.

IC564/5 445.1128 Reggio d C. Centrale to Taranto 472.3 kms
R3611 ME21 Taranto to Francovilla Fontana 33.5kms
R90725 668.3242 Francovilla Fontana to Lecce FSE 61.7kms
ICN758 444.009 Lecce to Bari Centrale via Taranto 221.1 kms
Day 3 to follow................

Attachments

• 20181229LecceFSE668.3242.jpg
    20181229LecceFSE668.3242.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 23
Last edited by a moderator:

433N

A really good read ; hope there's more to come.

Incredible that railway workers still get antsy about photographing trains. Do they not know that the war has ended that far south or something ? ;)

Whilst I haven't much experience of travelling the trains of Italy, I have learnt to watch out for the nuns ; their behaviour in a rail environment can be quite brutal.

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Sounds like a decent couple of days so far.

Yes, the staff in Italy can get very weird about photography. I had a conductor on a Milan to Bergamo train get rather shirty wuth me when I snapped the 464 I'd just travelled behind, but thankfully some explaining and a few kind words about how great Trenord was (it's really not) and he left me with a smile on his face.

Locals deciding to take reserved seats is something I also encountered, but on a Milan to Ventimiglia service. As I was going the whole way I certainly wasn't going to play musical chairs so the bloke was politely told to sod off and eventually he moved.

QJ

Day 3 and an early start after a late night. Having travelled to Bari via the Italian east coast in my only previous visit the year before I had decided to avail myself of one of the west coast overnight trains to end the day. I had hoped for a quick visit to Sicily beforehand for another ride on the train ferry. However, being in Bari wasn't a position of strength as the train I hoped to catch to Milan was scheduled to depart Siracusa at 13:35. I could just about get to Messina if I chose to catch the later overnight to Rome but with my flight home being from Malpensa I thought better of it; just in case there was an issue stranding me kilometres from my means of escape.

Being a Sunday cut the options down even further with the FS route from Brindisi to Taranto and FSE routes from Bari all buses. It is a shame as there are private railways to explore that operate from Bari; most notably the 950mm gauge Ferrovie Appulo-Lucane. Between Avigliano and Potenza the line shares the same trackbed as the standard gauge FS line from Foggia. Another one for a future visit though, like the FC in Calabria, part of the once extensive network has been turned over to buses and other sections closed altogether.

After much cogitating (right up to the time I left home for Heathrow) I settled on intercepting ICN1962 at Paola for the 580 km journey northwards to Lombardy. So as I didn't have a three hour fester in Taranto I opted to start the day by catching the ICN from Milan (the opposite working of the train I had caught from Lecce) departing Bari at 06:41 or thereabouts. Unsurprisingly there was someone sprawled all over my allocated seat. Fortunately, being a Sunday, there was an empty compartment as a fair number of people bailed off the train before I got on.

I got to Bari Centrale station in good time to watch 444.082 running around its train. Having only had three 444s for haulage (including the one on day 2) imagine my disgust at the realisation that 444.082 had been sampled between Rome and Naples some six years before. Doh!

At least it got me to Taranto in time to board IC5558/9 for a return trip trip along the Ionian Railway. FS even obliged with a cross platform interchange for required haulage in the form of D445.1104 making up for 444.082. I decided that, rather than take this train all the way to its final destination I would bail at Cirò to return east as far as Trebisacce for lunch. That way I could have another D445 for haulage at least.

I chose Trebisacce as a stop most likely to have cafes and bars that would be open near the station as the station was a short walk to the sea. I chose well with a number of people out enjoying the fine weather and places to eat and drink open. All apart from the station bar that is which had a sign stating that it would reopen on 06 January. Good timing with the trains being withdrawn the day after. After a stroll along the seafront and a walk on the pier I went off in search of lunch.

Taranto (D445.1104)
20181230TarantoIC558.jpg
Cirò (D345.1032 and D345.1110 parked on platform 3)
20181230CiroIC559.jpg

Trebisacce (D445.1128)
20181230TrebisacceIC567_445.1128.jpg

After lunch the second westbound IC headed as expected by 445.1128 (my haulage from the previous day) was taken as far as Sibari for the two hour plus fester for the train to Cosenza. Well it would have been remiss of me not to have passed through Calabria without visiting the provincial capital. And besides required track was to be had albeit after dark continuing a theme on day 1 and 2.

I could have cut the fester by continuing on the IC to Rosanno to return by class 668 DMU on the regional due back at Sibari at 16:10. Instead I chose a one way conversation with a security guard on the only station between Taranto and Reggio di C. that seemed to have any staff in attendance.

Deciding that retreat was the best strategy I had a wander outside the station to confirm it was some way away from the town. There was a bus stop in the square outside the station presumably for the regional rail replacement services and a bit further west the bus station for long distance buses. I walked as far as the level crossings west of the station and then headed back past a closed hotel on the Via della Ferrovia (New Hotel Magna Grecia does appear on search engines so presumably only closed for the Christmas period).

A cafe was spotted under a block of flats in a side street by the bus station so some time was spent there before returning to the station ready to board the 16:41 to Cosenza advertised to depart from platform 1. Self congratulations at clawing back 464.031 (where I could have made a ned leap on day 1) were cut short when I noticed a 464 powered train set being shunted out of a siding next to the SNCB 51s. 464.044 took its place as the 16:41 and 464.031 became the 19:20 departure. Oh well. Still a winner.

Sibari
20181230SibariIC567_445.1128.jpg

Trundling along in the dark on this steeply graded line it was still possible to distinguish the re-alignment of the line between S. Marco-Roggiano and Mongrassano-Cervicati owing to it being in a tunnel. Cosenza was reached on time and I then had a bit of a wait for the next westbound service.

The current Cosenza station is shared with the northern end of the Ferrovie della Calabria (and is referred to as Cosenza Vaglio Lise on the FC timetable). It replaced a station more central to the city. Plans to venture outside the station were cut short by a thunder storm rumbling over the nearby Sila Grande. Before boarding the Naples service at 18:57 I wandered around the station instead exploring the FC narrow gauge platforms at the south end of the station; sadly devoid of any activity. There were timetables posted on the station building but no FC trains were due whilst I was present. The FC trains seem to run during school term times. Still, nice to know that if I turn up in Cosenza earlier on a weekday I may manage to travel part of this system at this end. Looking on Google maps there seems to be an FC depot just to the south of the station.

20181230Cosenza464.044.jpg 20181230Cosenza_FCplatforms.jpg

On the opposite side of the station a couple of unidentified class 655 or 656 electrics were parked behind the FS depot building. They were too far away to determine whether they were withdrawn examples or not. The current line to Paola through the Santomarco Tunnel replaced a steeply graded line further south. So steeply graded in fact that sections were fitted with a Strub rack system (similar to that fitted to the Jungfraubahn in Switzerland I believe).

Completing my journey from the Adriatic Sea to the Tyrrhenian Sea via the Ionian Sea I got off at Paola station and headed down to the seafront to listen to the waves crashing on the beach. I soon headed back to the safety of the station when the thunder storm that had kept me on the station at Cosenza made its presence known again. Whilst wandering the station waiting for my next leap I was stopped by the Police. The explanation that I was waiting for the overnight to Milan satisfied them and they wandered off to interrogate someone else.

Surprisingly, at least to me, ICN1962, my hotel for the night (plus most of the morning) rolled in on time. Before that IC555 departed south shoved by a class E401 electric (rebuilt as single cab locos from class E402). If I had waited the hour at Lamezia Terme on day 1 that is the haulage (more like shovage) I could have had. Enjoying my creature comforts in my old age I had opted for a single berth booked through the online FS booking system. It also meant that I didn't have to worry about picking the wrong reservation in a shared compartment meant for women only. Typically I was waiting at the wrong end of the station for my sleeping car so had to leg it down the platform after noting 402.118 at the front end.

Lights out on day 3 but not before the ticket grip where the conductor waltzed off with my Interrail. The momentary sense of panic and loss was dissipated by the promise of it being given back in the morning. Before I entered the land of nod there was time to spot that the train crossed over to the landward side track around Maratea station (two crossovers noted just in case someone produces Quail level track maps for Italy!!!). I was out for the count as the train left Calabria for Campania but did wake up briefly as the train passed through Cancello and then Caserta to confim how the train bypassed Naples.

ICN765 E444.082 Bari Centrale - Taranto 114.5kms
IC558/9 D445.1104 Taranto - Cirò 202.9kms
IC564/5 D445.1141 Cirò -Trebisacce 95.2kms
IC566/7 D445.1128 Trebisacce - Sibari 14.5kms
R12743 464.044 Sibari - Cosenza 63.9kms
R2436 464.034 Cosenza - Paola 26.0kms
ICN1962 402.118 Paola - MIlano Centrale 580.2kms

Day 4 to follow..............

Last edited by a moderator:

QJ

Day 4 and on the final day of my Interrail I was awakened from my slumber by the lack of movement. IC1962 had reached Rome and was stopped in the Eternal city's Ostiense station. I assume the stop was for a crew change as a southbound ICN could be seen from the compartment window stopped on the opposite platform. A glance at the mobile phone confirmed the local time as around three in the morning so only another seven and half hours to go. I stayed awake long enough to take in views of the river Tiber and St. Peter’s Basilica as the train passed Roma San Pietro.

This part of the Rome rail network was familiar as I had caught a train from Vatican City that diverges northwest from San Pietro station during a previous visit to Rome in July 2017.
IMG_5062.JPG IMG_5072.JPG
The train was formed of an ETR425 Coradia Meridian Jazz unit and only just penetrated through the Vatican Walls by a nose because the overhead electrification stops before the gates. The advertisement for this tourist attraction appeared to show the train further along the platform as the train used to do when it was diesel (or very occasionally steam powered). However, on closer inspection the photograph on the advertising material was taken from outside the walls and reversed to appear further in. As luck would have it I managed a seat right at the back of the train to dubiously claim to have cleared the country's railway. The line terminates in a headshunt in a dead end tunnel to allow enough room for locomotives to run round or shunt goods wagons in and out of the north facing bay.

The first set down point was Livorno but after Rome I next woke up in Pisa Centrale (platform 4 to be precise). All that new track from Roma San Pietro and I saw none of it (does it count?). I didn't wake up properly until the train had arrived in Genova Piazza Principe station (required northbound from Pisa for directionality but no views of the Ligurian coast on this visit - just the back of my eyelids). From Genoa sleeping on the train was over and I took in the views as the train swept up the fast line on the west side of the valley towards Arquata Scrivia before diverging north east via Pavia to journey's end In Milan's imposing Centrale station; 580 kilometres of E402.118 haulage a lot of which was over sections of route I had not travelled over before (yes it counts).

With my flight not due to leave Malpensa until the late evening I had some hours of travel still left on my Interail ticket. Having, on my brief forays in the past travelled to Italy using FIP tickets I had mostly ignored the Trenord network (apart from a couple of occasions travelling to and from Malpensa). The Trenord network expanded greatly in 2009 when Trenitalia and Ferrovie Nord Milano (FNM) merged their Lombardy services. Fortunately, as Interail tickets (covering Italy) are valid on most Trenord trains (except to Malpensa Airport) I decided to put that right by seeking out Trenord's Nord Cadorna terminus . This is a few minutes ride away from Centrale on Metro line 2 with the journey costing (Biglietto Urbano costing one euro 50 cents) from an ATM ticket machine (Azienda Trasporti Milanesi that is).

After much deliberation on where to go on this final day, not sorted until just before I had left home for the airport, I settled on visiting Como because of the new service that was opened in January 2018 linking Como directly by train to Malpensa via the Swiss Canton of Ticino. Having arrived at Nord Cadorna in quick order there was time for a quick look around the surrounds and watch a couple of Milan's distinctive trams pass on line 1 before waiving my Interrail at a member of railway staff to let me through the barrier gates to board my train; the 11:43 to Como Nord Lago formed of a six car double deck class EB 711 unit.

20181231MilanoNordCadorna_R6.086.jpg
The Trenord route to Como heads north west out of Milan as far as Saronno shjaring tracks with services to Novara, Malpensa and Varese as it does so. After Saronno it then diverges right to Grandate Breccia where a sharp curve into the station marked the location of the trailing junction with the closed line from Malnate (on the Varese line). Between Grandate Breccia and Como Nord Camerlate the line crosses over the rail tunnel that allows trains to bypass Como on the main line to Chiasso. After Como Nord the line becomes single, crosses over the classic FS route from Milano to Chiasso then drops steeply to stop by the lake shore. The station has three platforms which are staggered so the buffer stops of platform 3 are slightly nearer the lake.
20181231ComoNordLagoStazione.jpg
I chose my destination well as it was shirt sleeve weather with many people out enjoying the Alpine air and scenery. The cafes, bars and restaurants were all busy and steamers were plying the lake. However, I spotted a sign for a funicular which had to be investigated though not in my original plan. Having turned right outside the station I walked around the lake shore a few hundred metres to find the funicular to be open with quite a long queue of people wanting a ride. Not deterred I waited my turn and duly red penned the cable operated Como-Brunate funiculore having parted with 5 euro 50 cents for the privilege. Lilac car 13 up and red car 12 down.

The funicular is quite interesting as the first section is in a tunnel and there is a workshop to the side of the line just before the halfway passing point. There are also two intermediate request halts. On my way down the car going up stopped at the higher of the two intermediate platforms which, of course, meant the other car stopped at the lower platform.
20181231ComoFuniculare.jpg 20181231ComoFunicularCar13.jpg 20181231Lake_Como.jpg 20181231ComoFunicularCar12.JPG

After some touristy photos of the lake I headed back to the railway station. The Malpensa train departs from the FS Como San Giovanno station some distance away from the lake and uphill to boot. There were tourist maps dotted around the lake showing the way to walk but that would be too easy. Rather than spend all afternoon by the lake (pleasant though it was) some more track was on offer before I had to call it a day. So I returned to Nord Lago station to board another six car EB 711 unit heading back to Milan.

to be continued.....................

Iskra

Established Member
A very good read so far. I travel to Calabria every summer so know that part of your journey well (I have a house in the Locri area, which you will have travelled through). Reggio d C Centrale is my favourite station anywhere to wait at due to the views of Etna, the Straits and the interesting railway stuff.

It's a shame Reggio airport station hasn't really taken off, but it's not entirely surprising considering the airport itself is not that busy.

Well done on completing the Reggio-Taranto loco hauled train. I've had a ride on it, but not managed the full route just yet as it's very long and as you say only 1tpd each way. I find it very novel they even bother to have a locomotive hauling two carriages- that must be very rare.

The Lamezia-Catanzaro line is an interesting one, but last summer I had a rail replacement bus on that route. It's a bit of a lottery as to what actually runs in the South, but that's all part of the fun.

QJ

Day 4 continued..................

The last day of the Interrail was nearly over but there was a few hours left before I had to head to the airport. I therefore bailed off 14:16 from Como Nord Lago at Saronno. From Saronno there are direct trains to Malpensa. However, I didn't want to do that when I could head east on an S9 service to intercept the Milan - Chiasso mainline at Seregno (9 kms north west of Monza for those into F1 racing. I'm not).

My atlas of Italian Railways shows a single track freight line leaving southwards on the west side of Saronno station immediately turning east over a bridge. I had assumed it was this that had become part of the S9 route. I was partly right though the first part of the route no longer heads over the bridge. Whilst the bridge is still there with track still on it a new alignment ( opened in December 2012?) is followed from the western end of the bridge to dive under the Trenord Milan line at Saronno Sud. The new double track alignment, avoiding a couple of level crossings) then heads north east to rejoin the original route towards Seregno. The line becomes single track to the east of Ceriano Laghetto-Groane station (one of six intermediate stations on the line) where sidings to the north of the line serve a BASF factory. The Milano to Asso Trenord line is crossed at the bi-level station of Cesano Maderno before eventually reaching Seregno from the northwest.

The S9 service then continues to the east then south west of Milan, bypassing Centrale station, to terminate in Alberate-Vermezzo on the secondary line towards Alessandria. Putting that on the ever burgeoning "another time" list I bailed off 464.395 to wait at Seregno for a train to Como San Giovanni. I had expected a Trenord EMU on the S9 service so a 464 was a nice bonus. 464.327 provided my last haulage of the Interrail from Seregno to Como San Giovanni to put me in good time for some food and drink in the station buffet and the last move of my four day traipse around Italy before my flight home.
20181231ComoSanGiovanni.jpg
Interrails are not valid to or from Malpensa Airport. A separate ticket is required to the first station after Malpensa the train calls at and vice versa. I am pretty sure the Italian Interrail isn't valid on the Como to Malpensa service through Switzerland either. Rather than faff about with part fares I shelled out 17 euro for a through ticket (20 euro first class though there is no difference in the level of comfort). This service is new and utilises the cross border link opened in January 2018 between Mendrisio on the Zurich - Chiasso line and Arcisate on the line from Varese to Porto Ceresio. I boarded a Treni Regionali Ticino Lombardia (TILO) RABe 524/ETR 150 set at 17:06 for the 100 minute journey to the airport and my first ever arrival at Chiasso from the south. With a freedom of movement agreement between Switzerland and the European Union there was no formal customs check.

More required track in the dark was enjoyed on departure from Mendrisio. The first section of the line as far as Stabio was part of a cross border line that closed as long ago as 1928 to passengers. Until quite recently a tourist train used to run over part of this line which originally continued to Malnate in Italy. Though in operation from 1993 as the Ferrovia Turistica Internacionale della Valmorea I never ventured to travel on this tourist line. A bit late to put this on my "another time" list methinks.

Branching away northwestwards from the old line on a completely new route after Stabio the Ticino (Switzerland) / Lombardy (Italy) border is reached at around 6.5kms from Mendrisio and 11 kms from Varese. A short distance later is the new station of Cantello-Gaggiolo followed by the Bevera Tunnel and viaduct after which the line curves around to the west to join the Milan to Porto Ceresio line. Then follows a lengthy section of cut and cover tunnel through Arcisate and Induna Olona which ends just before the Ponte ferroviario di Valle Olona after which Varese is reached.

Just before Varese Station the line from Saronno to Varese Nord and on to Laveno is crossed. From Varese the line heads south to meet the Domodossola to Milan main line at Gallarate which the Malpensa service follows as far as Busto Arsizio. From there the train takes a connection onto the Trenord Milan to Novara line and then journeys end on the Malpensa branch.

So ended my four days in Italy having travelled over 2,300 kilometres in the process.

Metro line M2 from Milano Centrale to Milano Nord Cadorna
R135 R6 086 Milano Nord Cadorna to Como Nord Lago 46.1 kms
Car 13 (lilac) (ATM) Como Brunate Funicolare uphill 1.07 kms
Car 12 (red) (ATM) Como Brunate Funicolare downhill 1.07 kms
R150 R6 087 Como Nord Lago to Saronno 24.2 kms
R24143 (S9) 464.395 Saronno to Seregno 15.2 kms
R25253/4 (S11) 464.327 Seregno to Como San Giovanni 25.0 kms
R25248 (S40) 524.004 (TILO) Como San Giovanni to Malpensa (T2) 73.7 kms

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Interrails are valid on the service to Malpensa but all they accept is First Class ones as far as I'm aware.

eastwestdivide

Established Member
Still on Malpensa, a story over on ferrovie.it about testing a Frecciarossa to the airport, to start running 3 pairs of services, 2 to Venice and 1 to the south from next summer's timetable:
Entro il prossimo orario estivo il Frecciarossa dovrebbe quindi tornare a Malpensa Aeroporto, con tre coppie di treni di cui due che andrebbero a collegare lo scalo aeroportuale con Venezia ed una verso sud sulla dorsale alta velocità.

http://www.ferrovie.it/portale/articoli/8146

QJ

rg177 You may be thinking of the Rome Airport service not Malpensa. The following is lifted from the Interrail.EU website

Regional and intercity trains in Italy
Trenord regionale (R)

• Runs through the central northern region of Lombardia, close to Switzerland.
  • No reservations required.
  • Trains between Milan and Malpensa airport are not included in your Pass.
The Leonardo Express
An express train between Rome and Fiumicino Airport.

• All seats are 1st class. Therefore a 1st class Interrail Pass is required to travel on this train.

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
rg177 You may be thinking of the Rome Airport service not Malpensa. The following is lifted from the Interrail.EU website

Regional and intercity trains in Italy
Trenord regionale (R)

• Runs through the central northern region of Lombardia, close to Switzerland.
  • No reservations required.
  • Trains between Milan and Malpensa airport are not included in your Pass.
The Leonardo Express
An express train between Rome and Fiumicino Airport.

• All seats are 1st class. Therefore a 1st class Interrail Pass is required to travel on this train.

Yes you would be correct there- I recall catching a train that had originated at Malpensa for a local journey within Milan but I don't know if that was the same as the Malpensa Express.

If that was the Express- it was an abused and smashed up unit rammed to the nines with commuters :lol:

Either way, revenue protection and staff presence on Trenord are as regular as flying pigs.

Iskra

Established Member
Day2 dawned and I was up in good time to be at the station to catch the raison d'etre for my visit to Calabria; the 07:35 Reggio di Calabria to Taranto diesel hauled inter city service. This had been on the to do list for some time being the only diesel hauled IC service in Italy (not counting the D145s gronking the Sicily through coaches on and of the train ferries). My first attempt at travelling the length of the Ionian Sea coastal railway line had met with a bowl out in the shape of a rail replacement bus service when there was only one train each way a day over the full 472 kms length of the line.

The recent December timetable change had doubled the service only for the section at the east end between Sibari and Metaponto (junction for the line from Taranto to Napoli) due to close from 07 January. Cue me boarding coach one of the two coach train after a wander around Centrale station to view the withdrawn ETR450 sets with that volcano towering behind.
View attachment 57833 View attachment 57839

Despite having a reservation a local had decided to commandeer my seat with his coat hanging up in the window. I settled into an unoccupied forward facing bay on the seaward side of the train for the six hour journey. Unfortunately seat reservations can be made up to the departure of the train so I got evicted before too long and had to move. There being no refreshments on IC trains I made do with bottled water and biscuits. Life can be tough! The line is single with passing loops beyond the end of electrification at Melito di Porto Salvo and a number of unadvertised stops were made along the line waiting for 663 and 668 units to pass on local services.

Catanzaro Lido was the first place of rail interest with a direct line trailing in from Lamezia Terme before the station (one to tick off for another day) and the old line to Lamezia via Catanzaro Sala diverging to the left beyond where the depot is situated. Catenzaro Lido is also at the southern end of the 950mm gauge Ferrovie della Calabria that links Cosenza with Catenzaro. Unfortunately part of the FC route has been replaced by a bus service so it isn't possible to travel the full length of the line by train.

At Crotone the first of the two westbound IC trains was crossed. D445.1141 was on that train and I noted not to chance swapping trains on day 3. Crew seemed to change from westbound to eastbound at Ciro and eastbound to westbound at Catanzaro Lido. At Rossano four Fersalento Lecce operated diesel locos used for engineering trains was noted; 270.247, 270.598 and 270.245 with one not identified. I have been trying to find out what the original ID of these machines was but without success so far.

Another Fersalento Lecce loco was spotted at Sibari along with ex SNCB class 51 locos 5121 and 5133. The following day I got off the train at Sibari to have a closer look and got accosted by station security for photographing around the station. I was told to delete the images which I duly did - not.

View attachment 57837 View attachment 57838

Before Sibari station the electrified line from Cosenza trails in left. The electrification continues beyond Sibari to Metaponto and on to Taranto. It is this section that lost its IC rail service with local services replaced by buses supposedly whilst further upgrades are made to the route. At Metaponto the second of the ICs was waiting in the station. As soon as my train had rolled into the station the westbound IC was on its way. No leap between the two here then. Back on track covered the year before on an IC to Napoli via Potenza I prepared to get off having completed my main reason for the trip to Italy. Knowing from my visit of the year before that the area around the station is not the nicest I made a beeline for the station bar which was thankfully open for a sandwich and beer to toast a successful journey and required D445 haulage. 245.2282 appeared whilst I was enjoying a break to shunt the IC565 empty stock westwards to the depot carriage sidings.

My hotel room for the night was in Bari (no island). However, I forsook the regional 464 hauled trains on the direct services via Gioia del Colle instead heading to Lecce. I would have preferred to have taken a standard gauge Ferrovie del Sud Est service to Bari via Putignano but that service has been replaced by a bus too. However, instead of travelling to Brindisi I sampled the FSE (recently taken over by the State Railway) route to Lecce by changing trains at Francavilla Fontana. The line between Taranto and Brindisi is single track and electrified with trains passing at Francavilla. Having got off a Minuetto EMU a 464 powered train crossed heading to Taranto. There was a seemingly out of use class 214 (number 1127) diesel shunter in the sidings to photograph whilst waiting for the FSE services to arrive.

View attachment 57840 View attachment 57841 View attachment 57842

My train arrived first off the FSE line to Martina Franca which heads north west from Francovilla and waited for the service heading the other way. My steed to Lecce was formed of a class 668 railcar as was the opposite working that arrived a few minutes late delaying my departure. The line speed was not particularly high speed and there was a seemingly lengthy stop at Manduria leaving me wondering if I would miss my connection to Bari at Lecce. However, I needn't have worried. as the 668 arrived at Lecce in good time for me to catch the ICN to Milan that would take me to Bari via Brindisi. More new track having not been that far south east in Italy before.

View attachment 57844 View attachment 57845

On arrival at Lecce there was enough time to view one of the FSE class DE.122 locos before boarding the Inter City Night (ICN) train departing at 18:31 headed by 444.009. It is compulsory to reserve a seat (or accommodation) on ICNs all year round unlike most ICs where it is only mandatory in the summer months. The day coaches were right at the back of the train which after Brindisi headed for Bari Centrale via Taranto instead of the direct line up the Adriatic Coast. A lot of passengers in the day coaches were making short journeys and this section of the train was quite full as a result at least to Bari Centrale where I bailed and headed off to my hotel for a few hours rest and a nice steak and beer before having to get up early to catch the train back to Taranto. Noted before arriving at Bari was work to create a new rail alignment between Bitetto Palo del Colle and Modugno Citta. I presume the 444 ran round its train to continue on to Milan as the Taranto line trails in from the north but I didn't hang around to find out.

IC564/5 445.1128 Reggio d C. Centrale to Taranto 472.3 kms
R3611 ME21 Taranto to Francovilla Fontana 33.5kms
R90725 668.3242 Francovilla Fontana to Lecce FSE 61.7kms
ICN758 444.009 Lecce to Bari Centrale via Taranto 221.1 kms
Day 3 to follow................

Hi as you seem well informed on train IC564, I was looking at booking it this summer, but in June it only seems to run Reggio d Calabria Centrale-Sibari and not on to Taranto. Do you know why this is or if it is permanent?

QJ

Iskra. The line eastward beyond Sibari was closed wef 7/1/19 for a major upgrade and electrification. A bus service now runs in place of the train. I don’t know when the line is expected to be reopened. When it does I suspect the IC service won’t be re-instated.

One of the effects of terminating the IC service at Sibari is to reduce the number of locos plus stock required to run the service.

Iskra

Established Member
Iskra. The line eastward beyond Sibari was closed wef 7/1/19 for a major upgrade and electrification. A bus service now runs in place of the train. I don’t know when the line is expected to be reopened. When it does I suspect the IC service won’t be re-instated.

One of the effects of terminating the IC service at Sibari is to reduce the number of locos plus stock required to run the service.

Excellent information, thank you. I might have to get a trip in to Sibari on some LHCS stock on my visit this year then!

Iskra

Established Member

I travelled from Locri to Sibari today on the IC Service. Sadly, on the return journey the IC service was cancelled, so I took a Regionale.

However, the engineering blockade ends soon and there is good news: when the blockade is lifted, there will in fact be 2 IC trains per day each way all the way to Taranto rather than the historic single service.

(Much improved) Timetable from Locri attached below.

Attachments

• BD0B294F-4D17-4A29-870F-7964F2764B82.jpeg
    BD0B294F-4D17-4A29-870F-7964F2764B82.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 7
  • DF848C93-939B-4BFC-A4DE-5FA836150265.jpeg
    DF848C93-939B-4BFC-A4DE-5FA836150265.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.