• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

40th Birthday - Bradshaw Fan

Status
Not open for further replies.

wife

Hi,

My husband has recently purchased a Bradshaw railway handbook. For his 40th birthday I would really like to take him away, perhaps stay in a hotel featured in the bradshaw guide and visit a/various historic railway stations.

Can anyone recommend anywhere?

We are based in the East Midlands but happy to travel anywhere in the UK.

So far I have only come across Petworth - Old Railway Station Hotel

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I suppose the ultimate railway hotel would have to be St Pancras, but at a minimum of £230+ per night I'd imagine that would be out of your price range.

Are you looking purely at accommodation on a railway theme or are you looking at visiting a preserved railway too?

CarltonA

The Grand Hotel in Torquay is right opposite the railway station and once belonged to the Great Western Railway. It is a fairly short run to Paignton from where you can connect with the Dart Valley Railway for a trip into Dartmouth.

wife

I suppose the ultimate railway hotel would have to be St Pancras, but at a minimum of £230+ per night I'd imagine that would be out of your price range.

Are you looking purely at accommodation on a railway theme or are you looking at visiting a preserved railway too?

Hi
St Pancras wouldn't be out of my price range.
Not only looking at accommodation, looking for a day out/weekend out, where my husband can walk around with his Bradshaw guide! He loves history
Particularly aviation during world war 2 and steam trains.
Regards

AnthonyRail

Established Member

do you get views of the rail line from window?

fireftrm

I recommend York
The Principal York - formerly the Royal York, the station hotel
York - beautiful historic city with too much to write about just look it up
York - The National Railway Museum, FOC
Elvington - The Yorskire Aviaition Museum, largest WW2 aviaition museum
Malton - Eden Camp, WW2 museum featuring all three branches of the armed forces and other countries
North Yorkshire Moors Railway, UKs longest and world's busiest heritage railway with steam to Whitby (last section is on the mainline)

Status
Not open for further replies.