• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

43125's trip report(s) (Written in full procrastination!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GW43125

Established Member
OK, so I'll admit I'm writing this entirely out of procrastination (I don't want to study for my A levels!(I do but don't, fellow students will understand)), not done one of these before, let's give it a go.

Manchester 03/01/18

An early start after hardly any sleep started with much caffeine. I check the inbound for my train-I know the set sat in Preston station last night so it should be ok, right?
Except it isn't. 30 minute late start off Lancaster (tree vs overheads between there and Preston), and it's got a 31 min turnaround at Euston. Ah well, we're a Glasgow so they'll just run us late.

An uneventful drive to the airport (thanks dad!) follows.

After forgetting where to go and having to ask a friendly BA employee where the tube was (sorry!), down onto the picc platforms at terminal 5. 6 minutes until my train. That'll do nicely.
A fairly slow run into central London followed (then again, it is peak time). As the run progresses, I keep checking the progress of 1R07 on my phone. It's made up 6 minutes by Rugeley. It'll be alright in Euston with a quick turnaround. I check again just before heading into the tube tunnels and an axle counter failure in the Lichfield area has seen it drop back to 30 late. Time to start looking into potential set swaps then. The set for the 08:40 Manchester looks a prime candidate it seems. 1R08, currently on time, in reverse formation. We shall see.

Green Park wasn't as busy as I expected though, but I forgot how long the corridor is to the Vic line!
Ah crap, I hear one pulling away. Nevermind, it's the Vic line. Another will be along in a moment (something another member of this forum, who shall remain nameless, failed to comprehend).

I duly arrive at Euston and convene with the others. Except, we've got a no-show. Bugger. Ah well, a visit to a well-known coffee shop sees me equipped with a coffee and porridge for breakfast. Not bad.
The no-show is still a no-show so we cut our losses and head to our waiting train on platform 13, which has now been announced.

Down the ramp and surely enough, it's the set ex 1R08. Winner 390118 in reverse formation with failed plug sockets (ah well, I've got my powerbank). We all assume our seats and await the 08:30 deaprture....
...Which promtly comes and goes, with no sign of movement. A couple of minutes later, a member of VT crew appears. This probably explains it. Platform staff say we're awaiting the road. At least the train is quiet. There are four people in this carriage. There are three of us.

We eventually move off at 08:38. We're 8 minutes late. This puts our five minute connection at Warrington in jeopardy. There's slack in the schedule though, so hopefully we should manage.

And manage we do. We maintain the delay until around Colwich Jn, before the driver really squeezes power out of the unit. By the time we get to the junction south of Warrington (winning shack),we're up to four minutes late. We're neck and neck with our connection on the slow lines. Thankfully, it having to cross the mainlines on the flat sees us in first, after only 99 and a half minutes non-stop from London (109mph!), ready for our cross-platform connection onto my first 175, 175116. Turns out 175s aren't much to write home about.

The guard's said he'll sell us a ticket and he hasn't by the time we get to Newton-Le-Willows (shack #2 today)! After arriving two minutes late, a quick trip down to the ticket office sees us in possession of a group wayfarer. Back up to the platform and into the motor coach of winner 319362 fast to Occy Road, then Piccadilly, thence forward nonstop to the airport.

Quick photo opportunity before we're across to double winners 156488 and 156441 to Preston (as far as Piccadilly). They don't half make a racket! (Yes, we did have all the windows open!)

We've got two options to Romiley: Pacer or Sprinter. We want a pacer but our train back from Romiley should be a pacer so we'll do the sprinter. Winner 150272 takes us via Hyde North to shack #3, Romiley. Driver isn't too impressed with us getting a quick picture however.

Romiley station is a typical two platform shack. It reminds me slightly of Salisbury, in that you can look over the station wall into the road below. There's a signalbox at the Manchester end but unfortunately it's disuses, as I later found out.

Time for our pacer back direct to Piccadilly. Except, that's not a pacer coming round the corner, it's a sprinter! Bowlarks.
Nevermind, it's winner 150147, with some decent views out the rear cab whilst the guard went about his duties (the saloon door was locked, don't worry!).

We duly arrived back in Piccadilly. Having seen how expensive food was at a certain chain of public houses in Manchester, my friends decided we'd head off to Bury on a tram.
"Don't worry, it's only 20-25 minutes", they said.

Almost 35 minutes later, we arrive in Bury and head into said Public house. Lunch is duly consumed and back we go, this time only as far as Victoria. By now it's absolutely chucking it down and seeing people smoking in the rain outside the bus station is yet another reminder that smoking is a bad idea.

Our driver clearly likes driving quickly, a rather spirited run back to Victoris followed. We check times of trains from Vic and, disaster, the Ordsall Chord train leaves three minutes before we arrive. That's not ideal.

Ah well, we duly arrive in Victoria (shack #4) and the Ordsall chord train is still there! A quick sprint follows and, despite a misunderstanding at the gateline, we manage to make the train formed of winner 158756, thanks to a 66-hauled freight train getting in the way. Ordsall chord, tick. Occy Road (#5), tick.

We've been tipped off that the ex-FGW 150 (150122) is working with a pacer today on Preston-Hazel grove runs. We'd seen this on our way into Picc earlier and had made plans to intercept this.

After a 15 minute fester, right on cue, double winners 150122 and 142013 take us to Stockport (#6). Riding in the pacer, it reminded me just why they're buses! I quite like them for the novelty value, if nothing else. This turned out to be the only pacer of the day.

Holmes Chapel-Crewe singles duly purchased, winner 323229 arrives to take us nonstop into Piccadilly and what a cracking run it is. Straight up the fast and early back into Piccadilly.

We have a decision to make: Stalybridge on a busy 185 or airport on a quiet 156?
Airport was the decision and double winners 156489 & 156428 gave it the full beans. It was, by now, dark, so I had absolutely no idea where we were if we stopped. Fun.

Next train back to Picc is winner 185130. It took 10 minutes of standing in the cold waiting for them to release the doors. Ugh.
We got a table once we were on, with the unit in eco mode (which had that engine shut down), though it duly restarted on departure.

The guard comes through checking tickets, he's sceptical about our group ticket and isn't sure about the validity for three people "it doesn't say it's for three people". In the end he gives up once he learns we're getting off at Piccadilly.

The engine shuts down again under eco mode around Heald Green. just randomly, on the move. Thankfully the auxiliiaries continuing to be crossfed confirms we haven't broken down. It's then uneventful, albeit slow, into Picc.

By now we've got an hour until our train to Crewe (last via Airport of the day!), so we decide we won't risk going too far out. having picked up some refreshments, we instead opt for a leap to occy road with double winners 185113 & 185102 (rear engine out again due to eco mode).

Awaiting the ex Scotland back into Picc with the hope of a winning unit, no bloody chance. Not only is it the first dud of the day, both of them are dud (I've only had three of the /4s grr). So 350408 & 350402 lead us into PIccadilly (right down platform 13, miles from civilization!)

Final northern move of the day, winner 323224 all the way to Crewe via the Airport. 2 minutes late away from Picc and 4 late at the airport sees a cracking run result, including running at 90 nonstop Alderley Edge to Holmes Chapel! We'd wanted the windows open to hear the IGBT kits absolutely screaming their guts out but didn't out of basic courtesy to the other punters. Once the last punter got off at Sandback, we eventually opened the window, and immediately regretted it. Christ was it cold!

We duly arrived into Crewe, where we had a 45 minute fester until our booked train back to London. Except that 45 minutes turns into about 50 as the up fast isn't available just south of the station (some sort of signalling issue)-a 350 had sat in the platform for a good 10 minutes as we arrived. It'd also started late from Manchester for some reason. Crewe station was rather nippy in the interim.

Around five minutes before our train was due, the signallers had put a terminating 350 into our booked platform 1, so cue switch to platform 5, for correct formation winner 350154 on 1A66 back to London, calling at Milton Keynes on the way. Leaving Crewe we weaved to the Up Slow then back because of the signalling issue (12 minutes late after this), before we put the power down and went for it.

Until we got to Rugby, that was. A late ex Scotland via Birmingham coming off the flyover brought us down to about 50mph through Rugby station. This let it get some headway and we put the power down until about Wolverton, at which point we were now third in a queue of trains calling at Milton Keynes. We came down to walking pace, before moving forward into the station.

Quick stop over and we duly press onwards to London. Sitting at the disabled end of the carriage, having Will Ferrell speak for an eternity every time someone wanted to use the facilities, it wore very thin.

I'd noted we were booked into platform 1 at Euston. Impossible as the beds were in there. So after rolling along, we eventually rolled into platform 4 only 8 minutes late. 92010 was on the buffers, waiting for the beds to move so it could go and pick up the Lowland Sleeper.

I was eager to make a quick getaway so that I could get onto the tube before the football match kicked out (Arsenal vs Chelsea, 2-2), but picked northern then picc rather than vic then picc, which probably added a couple of minutes but saved me walking at Green Park.

It was uneventful as far as Hammersmith, where we caught something up and at one point got overtaken by an S stock after coming to a stand.

Finally, after being out for at least 14 hours, a lift home from the airport, straight to bed and I slept 12 hours straight last night. It was glorious.

What will I do next, I wonder?

Winning units- 18
Winning shacks- 6
Mainline miles- 473 & 52ch

So I just spent two and a half hours writing that. Ultimate procrastination. I welcome feedback.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Nice to read your report 43125. A pretty decent varied day by the looks of things.
Will you post more in the future?

GW43125

Established Member
Nice to read your report 43125. A pretty decent varied day by the looks of things.
Will you post more in the future?

Depends how I feel really. That took me two and a half hours, and was written entirely out of procrastinating from studying.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Depends how I feel really. That took me two and a half hours, and was written entirely out of procrastinating from studying.
I find it quite time consuming too. It’s good to get it down though I reckon.

GW43125

Established Member
I find it quite time consuming too. It’s good to get it down though I reckon.

Indeed. Personally I think if people want to read about a random guy sitting in trains for a day I’ll do it, if they don’t I won’t.

GW43125

Established Member
Decided to give another ago, because why not?
Southern Daysave 31/03/18

An earlier start than planned today, as a nice scenic run round the Kingston loop is the order of the morning. Consequently, my train has been retimed to leave 25 minutes earlier. Ho-hum.

I duly arrive on the Main side of clapham Junction on double dud 450103 and 450027(we came up the up fast after Raynes park-though our fast run was hampered by ARS trying to slow us down as we were a minute early) and head to the southern side to head into Victoria. Meeting one friend, we wait for our other. He duly arrives, having expected to see one of us, not two. Two of us found it amusing at least.

A visit to a well-known fast food retailer at Victoria sees us leave with overpriced muffins that just about pass for breakfast; and a milkshake (I must issue a public advisory that the chocolate milkshakes are AWFUL-they have a terrible chemical taste!).

We've been debating whether to get the 08:17 splitter or 08:20 Brighton. After much debate, we decide to head to Brighton on the basis I've never done a London-Brighton, with a view to connecting onto the Seaford. We duly board the brighton, producing double duds 377604 and 377615.

An uneventful run to Brighton follows, and we duly arrive bang on time, where our plan to run to Seaford is knocked out by 313201 standing in platform 2 on the West Worthing. A quick photo opportunity, and it duly wins all the way to required shack West Worthing.

I spend the journey attempting to find connecting 313s (as many as possible) and in the end we settle for a leap to Ford on winner 377125. Permits to travel obtained (because why not?), we settle for a leap to winning Bognor Regis on winner 377117.

Another photo opportunity and over we go to platform 3 for winning 313212 as far as Barnham. We decided we fancied a run to Chichester, however when winner 313217 arrived which I'm told has loud motors, so we stayed on to winning Nutbourne. A +7 sees us feed back onto late running winner 313206 back to winning Chichester and we pause for a spot of lunch at the nearby retail park.

Back at Chichester station, we decide we'll head up to Gatwick and back down the East Coastway then head to Seaford. Loud-motored 313217 rolls back in however, so we take a leap to Barnham then step back.

That's exactly what we do, in rolls winning 377160 to winning Gatwick Airport, taking up winning 377211 and 377113 at Horsham. A 12-minute connection sees us take winning 377104 and 377401 to winning Lewes, dropping off winning 377144 at Haywards Heath.

Lewes ticked, we jump onto winning 377209 and dud 377435 to Seaford and back to Brighton. What an eventful trip down the branch. With football on at Brighton, these services are 2.5x their normal length. The last three carriages don't fit anywhere other than Seaford, so the OBS makes sure that's where we're going. Once he leaves, we decided to turn it into a party train. We even made people at Newhaven level crossing laugh.

It went downhill from here. A spritely departure from Newhaven Harbour sees us roll onto the branch when suddenly we stop accelerating, the aircon falls silent and we brake to a stand. We immediately suspect a tripping. After a couple of minutes, the aircon comes back to life and we then duly set off in half power. A PA from the driver confirms we did indeed trip the supply. Woops.

I could only laugh as we arrived at Seaford, turned round and headed back to Brighton, in half power to Newhaven of course. All fun and games eh?

With the best part of an hour to kill in Brighton, a water stop was made followed by some rather chilly waiting for my first 171/7, 171730, to Ashford and back.
During the journey, the carriage was dead silent. It was wonderful.

Only once first class emptied out at Eastbourne did we start talking again. The tension was also up as a delay at Rye waiting for the one coming the other way to get off the single line had made us 10 minutes late. We were down to 3L at Lewes but this put my +8 at Brighton in jeopardy.

We duly arrived only 2 late, making it in good time for winners 377706 and 377616 back to Clapham Junction.

20 minutes laterm in rolled 458536 to take me home via the Kingston loop. We were on the down fast again, I recorded 71mph!

Home I was, exhausted but what a brilliant day.

Winning shacks-6
Winning units-14
Mileage-415mi 09ch

And perhaps shockingly being Southern, our total delay was only 20 minutes!

Kite159

Veteran Member
Agreed, the 458s didn't hang around on the fast lines between Clapham & New Malden. Good news that Southern behaved themselves as well :)

GW43125

Established Member
The return to Southern Rail, 06/04/18

Clearly not content with the lack of 313s on a weekend, the only thing to do was to head back on a weekday.

It was a pleasant morning as I boarded my moderately loaded pair of 458s up to Clapham Junction, the journey was uneventful save for the PIS being a station behind itself.

I duly arrived at Clapham Jn, and made my way down to platform 13. Except, why isn't it on the departure board? It better not be cancelled.

Oh, it goes from 15, woops...

Now over on 15, I'm really hoping this is actually a 455 and not a 377!

Thankfully, in rolls winner 455802 for the run to winning Horsham via Dorking. Once the stopper ahead of us was out the way, full power was of course applied. 73mph was attained during the non-stop run from Dorking to Horsham. It wasn't exactly the loudest unit I've ever had.

Arriving at Horsham, a quick photo opportunity, then watching the attachment of dud 377430 and required 377202 before boarding them to winning Three Bridges.

There's certainly a lot happening at Three Bridges, including a 387/2 ECS, a 377 ECS (which overhung the pointwork during its driver change!) and a 700 on test, before winning 700123 (0123 in Southern parlance-strangely satisfying!) arrived to take me to Brighton. Remember that 377 ECS I was on about? Well, we stood outside Preston Park for almost 5 minutes waiting for it to clear the mainlne!

I eventually arrive at Brighton, where I've discovered that they've replaced the old off indicators for the West Coastway (second to last picture on this page: http://www.railsigns.uk/photos/p_traindis1/p_traindis1.html#pic_offio) with the LED ones. Yes, I'm still bitter about the removal of the mechanical banners over a year ago.

As it's a lovely day, we decide we'll have an hour or so by the seaside in Littlehampton. As such, winning 313204 takes us on the leap to Hove to await the coastway splitter. We become aware of a signalling issue at Littlehampton, but hopefully it shouldn't cause too much of an issue.

Winning 377129 duly arrives to take us towards Littlehampton. We get as far as Arundel Jn before our train becomes involved in a little dispute. Three trains (ours included) are at a stand waiting to make conflicting moves, when an Arun Valley splitter duly appears from Arundel and shoots through the junction, much to the disgust of the other three drivers at a stand. Dispute finally resolved, off we go in a parallel move, arriving in Littlehampton only three minutes late.

Upon arrival, we head down to the river (once we've found our way!), take a few pictures, then walk further down the river for the classic seaside fare of fish & chips, followed by an ice cream. (On a side note, the ice creams are so much bigger by the coast- what they called a "medium" and was cheaper than a "small" is round here, was bigger than what passes as a large!

Back to the station we go, there's only two others in this carriage on winning 313211, so we claim it and carry on west to Portsmouth & SS. Time for a quick visit to a supermarket for a drink (riding trains is thirsty work!) before we return for a leap to Portsmouth Harbour, yielding duds 450548, 450543 and 450106 (the downside of commuting). We cover the 66 chains in six minutes. The average speed makes for grim reading.

We duly cross over to winning 313213 all the way back to Brighton. This one's a bit louder. Passing through West Worthing at almost 70mph was certainly an experience, but a good one!

Safely back in Brighton, we have an hour to kill before the 16:51 so we opt to take a 4-minute cross platform connection onto winning (and incredibly nippy!) 313208 for a PNB run to winning Shoreham-by-Sea. We return to Brighton on dud 313214, which turns round and forms the aforementioned 16:51.

The 16:51 Brighton-Bognor runs all stations to West Worthing, before then running non-stop to Littlehampton, thence continuing all stops to Bognor. We elected to take this back to Bognor.
Leaving West Worthing, we did the standard move of getting the train rolling in series, then smack it into weak field. Once those field diverts kick in, you speed up very quickly! We were already doing 60 by Durrington. Not long after, we shut off at 75. These units may be 40-odd years old but they still do their job exceedingly well!

We left it until the last moment to brake for Arundel Jn, before rounding the curve and rolling into Littlehampton for a photo opportunity. It's an absolutely beautiful evening, the low orange sunlight making for some amazingly atmospheric photos.

Photo stop over, we boarded winning 377419 to Hove, where we made the usual cross-platform connection to the Brighton shuttle, this time with winning 313205. As we rolled along the coastway, it made me realise just how lucky some people are to live on the coast, being able to walk down to the beach of an evening and watch the sunset.

An 8-minute cross-Brighton connection saw us end up on dud 313212 to Seaford and back. We decided to open all the windows just to take in the fresh air and the beautiful evening. Seeing the sun setting as we rolled towards Newhaven and along towards Lewes reminded me of the sunset on the beach in Barbados. It was beautifully orange too. I certainly think I'll be coming back at some point!

We arrive back into Brighton a minute or two early which helps my +2 connection onto the 19:58 to London. I make it with time to spare (after a slight run), and take a seat in the almost empty front unit. It's now winners 387216, 387225 and 387205 up to Clapham. The seats have certainly softened up a bit since I last went on one of these!

As happened last Saturday, we once again got slowed right down on the approach to Stoat's Nest Jn (just south of Purley), no idea why. We then run into the Croydon bottleneck once again. An empty stock is trying to cross from the fast to the slow, however because of where it was standing, its back end blocked the overlap, stopping us pulling into platform 1. When we eventually got in, we were 5-6 minutes late. Not much you say, but I'm relying on a 10-min connection at Clapham to get me home. I start walking down the train in preparation.

Pulling into Clapham, I make a run for the Down Windsor platform, and arrive with two minutes to spare, boarding my pair of 458s home.

Seaford to Feltham via Brighton and Clapham took almost exactly two hours. Bloody quick if you ask me!

I finally arrive home, some 14 1/2 hours after leaving. It's been a cracking day and it was such a beautiful evening.

Winning units-13
Winning shacks-3
Total mileage-327mi 52ch
And perhaps shockingly being Southern Rail,
Total Delay-25min

433N

Personally I think if people want to read about a random guy sitting in trains for a day I’ll do it, if they don’t I won’t.

Of course I want to read about a random guy sitting in trains for a day ; it's a nice antidote to all the complete garbage celebrity gossip that I'm constantly bombarded with by every media outlet.

Beauty is in the mundane - nice reports.

Established Member
Just caught up with these. Good reading indeed. Sounded like some very productive days out.
I can't stand pacers. I'd use one if I have to, e.g. A move to catch up with some loco hauled turn on the Cumbrian Coast coming the other way but I generally avoid them like the plague.

GW43125

Established Member
Of course I want to read about a random guy sitting in trains for a day ; it's a nice antidote to all the complete garbage celebrity gossip that I'm constantly bombarded with by every media outlet.

Beauty is in the mundane - nice reports.

Just caught up with these. Good reading indeed. Sounded like some very productive days out.

Thanks, I'll think about writing some more when I get out more. With A levels round the corner, a lot of it is on hold for now (though I really don't want it to be!)

I can't stand pacers. I'd use one if I have to, e.g. A move to catch up with some loco hauled turn on the Cumbrian Coast coming the other way but I generally avoid them like the plague.

We're all entitled to our opinions, I find the old stock (eg PEPs, pacers etc) fun just because they're old and clunky (and make a racket!), it adds a bit of character I feel.

Established Member
Well, I've just read all of your reports and thoroughly enjoyed them.
More, please :)

Established Member
I shall pay with gratitude and appreciation, which is much better than mere money :)

GW43125

Established Member
Just a little update (not that you're bothered though), there'll be one appearing at some point during the next week, one at the beginning of June maybe then that's it till July.

Er, change of plan, I procrastinated. It's ready to go now. :lol:

Last edited:

GW43125

Established Member
Jaunt to Vectis, 05/05/18

The morning started with an early drive to Weybridge station (technically my friend's Polo was a winner!). I slightly regretted my decision of not bringing a coat as we drove with the windows down. Ah well, sun's just risen so it'll warm up by the time we get to Pompey.

We duly arrive at Weybridge station and somehow have to kill half an hour. We decide to sit in the car as it's warmer than outside.

With around 15 minutes to go, we head onto the platform. It's already warming up a tad as externally filthy dud (well, only just dud-it was a Southsea-Fratton leap!) 444016 arrives at 07:10 with 2T13 to Pompey. After Woking, all stations via Eastleigh. Help.

It's actually a rather pleasant run (bar the speed restriction at Waller's Ash-that dragged) and the guard (Steve?) had a sense of humour which certainly helped. Another friend joined us at Eastleigh for my required track onward to Pompey, where we arrived bang on time at 09:18.

We head straight down into the Wightlink terminal and, tickets purchased, we await the ferry.

This is only the second time I've been to the Island, last time was about 8 years ago on the car ferry with the family. Never done the Catamaran before.

Wight Ryder II duly arrives with only a couple of minutes to go. We all get on board relatively quickly (we went upstairs outside of course!) and off we go only a couple of minutes late. Trying to apply suncream on a moving ship isn't the easiest of tasks (though it's that or get sunburn!).

Once we clear the harbour, we apply full power. These actually sound quite decent (I compared them to being at the back of a 747 taking off). We have an uneventful crossing just messing around, and of course the obligatory photos and Knight Rider references (given the name of the ship). I'm disappointed the theme wasn't played at the end of the safety announcement.

Arriving in Ryde, quick march through the ferry terminal sees us boarding my first 483, rather shabby looking 483004 which we take down to Shanklin and back as far as Esplanade. The track quality past Smallbrook is absolutely bloody shocking, but at north of 40mph, it was quite a fun ride bouncing from side to side! The units also still have camshaft control and Westinghouse air brake equipment. Certainly adds to the atmosphere in my opinion. We've got yet another guard who clearly enjoys his job (didn't catch his name), who comes and has a little chat with us once tickets are sorted.

Apparently 004 is the mechanically better unit. We're told there's a mechanically good unit that looks awful (004) and one that looks the part but is mechanically awful (006). Apparently they used to run double units but there are only 3 serviceable units rather than the 5 they need. It's a sad state of affairs but the truth is these units are now 80 years old. It'll be a shame to see them go but they've certainly done their time. I've already fallen in love with the character of the line.

We bail out at Ryde Esplanade and walk up the hill towards a well-known chain of public houses, where we pause for an early lunch (or late breakfast, in this case).

Leaving the pub, we head back down the hill and stop off for an ice cream at the bottom (it's the seaside-you've got to!). However, as we finish paying, we see the train set off down the pier. A moderate jog ensues to make sure we don't miss it.

Winning 483006 duly rolls in. It's wedged! I apologise to the guard (who we had earlier-they step back at St John's) for being back, he's not best pleased we've got ice creams!

This is certainly giving you the full tube experience, being in a sardine can (though by tube standards it was only "moderately busy"), after a lengthened station stop we take off back towards Shanklin, before another photo stop and we run back up to pier head.

Arriving back at Pier Head, we duly destroyed the brake pipe with an immensely satisfying hiss (yes I find it satisfying, so what! :P ) as we leapt off to get the ferry. A friendly goodbye to the guard, "next time I'll get my ice cream!" and we quick walk through the ferry terminal to join the queue. By this point, I'm really regretting wearing my new shoes. Being a long way from a supermarket, I've got no chance to sort it out. Help.

Sitting back upstairs, this time on Winning Wight Ryder I, a slightly late start sees us once again giving it the beans across the Solent. Be glad you weren't there to hear our parody of "Ferry across the Mersey".

Docking back in Pompey, we head back up the ramp to the station. As per, the Southern is late. The Great Western is also running late, it's all gone wrong, perhaps unsurprisingly.

We say goodbye to the friend who joined us at Eastleigh, and with two minutes to spare jump on duds 450101 and 4500033 for the Southsea leap. The aircon can't make its mind up, in some carriages it's a sauna and in some it's Siberia. We opted for Siberia for all of the 66 chains, until we arrived at Southsea. We've got three options, stay here and hope the late western made it into the Harbour, jump to Fratton in case it hasn't or head up to Woking. Upon finding out it was already in the Harbour, we leapt at Southsea.

In came the Great Western, just a tad late, winning 158960 taking us to, well, originally Salisbury but we decided to leap at Southampton Central due to failed aircon and the fact I'd never been to Lymington. The journey to Southampton was one of the worst I've had of late. Aircon wasn't working, windows open in the other two carriages didn't help at all. Eventually two of the windows in our carriage were opened but that didn't help in the slightest.

A fester at Southampton of around 15 minutes saw twice-dud 444028 arrive for the short non-stop hop to winning Brockenhurst, where a cross-platform +2 took us onto dud 450557 to Lymington Pier and back. A pleasant, decent speed run. I didn't realise how long the branch is, but it's now tick.

Back at Brockenhurst, we head over the bridge to the Up Main for double winners 444001 and 444021. The Poole stopper that just spent 15 minutes in Southampton is now spending 25 minutes here. What a dull journey, waiting for 40 minutes in total!

Having re-reached Southampton, I hobbled over the bridge to the middle platform to await late-running required 158887 back to Southampton. Seeing the grey emerge from the tunnel made me realise we've got a dull new liveried one (my first re-done diesel). Hadn't been touched internally though, thankfully.

During the journey, we realised our 7-minute connection was in jeopardy as we were 7 minutes late. Thankfully though, the London was running 10 late so we had plenty of time.

We had however, seen a message on our way that stated West of England services were very busy. I had to mentally prepare myself for a wedge-ex and bail at Basingstoke. Help.

After standing in Salisbury for 5 minutes, in roll winners 159010 and 159101. We make a beeline for the back as it's less busy and have a table to ourselves. Where are all these crowds we were being warned about?

After leaving Salisbury and clearing the junctions, we applied the power as we were running late. The turbo on 101 sounds pretty impressive! 90mph all the way to Andover, thence 90 all the way to Basingstoke.

Much to my annoyance, as we accelerated out of Basingstoke we passed one of my last three 450s, 450105, in Barton Mill, unfortunately berthed until Tuesday morning. Grr!

We duly arrive at Woking and I limp down the platform towards the stopper in bay 3. My friend's taken off and I'm struggling to walk!

Walking up the platform, we find dud 455913 and winning 456014. We walk past the guard and he enquires if anything's coming through, having seen the camera around my neck. I tell him that we're just passing through, but there's a kettle coming, however it's stuck at Haslemere because of a double track circuit failure (and I later found out there's been a bridge strike too!). I've had this guard before, still don't know his name but we recognise each other after I commented on his Wessex electrics badge a while back.

We take our seat in the 456 and I bump into a friend of mine off to a party (I should have guessed!). Unfortunately they were subjected to us completely nerding out about 456s (sorry!)

Rolling into Weybridge, I jump out and walk incredibly slowly along the uneven car park to the car. This is really painful.

We were originally going to drive to Shepperton and clear the branch but (even after buying plasters in a supermarket) I was in pain and he couldn't be arsed to drive. Once it became apparent we were going to miss the 1842, we gave up and went home.

I was home by 7, completely unexpected.

Having had a fry up for breakfast, imagine my delight to find out what I was having for dinner was another fry-up. Woops.

All in all, not a bad day. Surprisingly my stalker unit 444008 didn't turn up today.

Total Mileage: 261mi 55ch
Shack count: 3
Winning units: 9
Winning cars: 1
Winning ships: 2
(The last two are taking the mick!)

GW43125

Established Member
London Birthday Bash, 16/06/18

Firstly, I'd like to just point out that it's a bad idea to have an early start the day after your birthday, especially if you've had a heavy night.

Regardless, through some miracle I awoke at 05:30 and after getting ready, made the short walk to the station for 458508 and 458523 to Clapham Junction. A rather brisk walk across to platform 12 sees me board waiting winning 377471, dud 377150 and winning 377142 into London Victoria, just as the doors are closing.

Duly arriving into Victoria earlier than planned, I walk towards the main concourse and see an old friend of mine. Unfortunately, they didn't see me so I looked a bit of a pillock.

After a little waiting, my friends arrived on their respective trains and congratulated me on my recovery. Smug gits.

Breakfast (well, a drink-non alcoholic I hasten to add!) purchased, onto triple winners 377111; 3777118; 377410 to East Croydon.

A quick sprint (!) saw us on dud 171806 for an uneventful trip up to London Bridge. In the bay next to us is the Horsham to Peterborough, sorry, Three Bridges to Peterborough. No, it's bloody Three Bridges to London Bridge. The point being what exactly? It seems Brighton-Cambridge just doesn't exist full stop! Shambolic.

Rant over, we went up and down the escalators more than a dodgy relay, trying to reach a decision as to what to do. go out and clear St John's or get a 465/9 out to Orpington?

To save waiting, we took the option of winning 376016 to winning St John's. A quick photo stop and across the platform saw us take the mega leap back to dud New Cross by way of winning 465015. At this point we realised our mistake of letting the TBW go as a pair of 465/9s sailed past. Bugger.

No worries, a quick photo stop and we await the impending arrival of winning 378135 for a leap to Shadwell (does it win? [ahem] knows!), easily identifiable from a distance as being the only unit with the number being on the side vice the front. Shadwell turns out to be shocking for photos as the in-and-out tunnels lead to over-or under-exposure.

A little DLR bash to Lewisham follows. I have few details on this trip, other than we sat in a middle "cab" and the journey was uneventful. If you don't turn into a young child and pretend you're driving it have you ever been on the DLR?

My friends express an interest in doing the Hayes branch again, so I find a train about 10 minutes after we arrive, with dud 376023 duly arriving to take us down to winning Hayes.

What a run down place this station is. Dirty, empty shops, it's not very nice. So we stroll down the high street and find a little bakery for a caffeine and sugar fix. I'm told the doughnuts are delicious, I wouldn't know as I didn't have one :(

Back at the station, we await the arrival of the fast service (Charing X), hoping for a pair of 465/9s like the ones we'd passed earlier, alas to no avail as double winners 465046 and 465049 roll in to take us back to the 'Bridge. The train supply on these is appalling, if I have the hand-dryer on, the lights flicker. I wouldn't imagine it'll take that much to trip the supply outright...

Arriving into London Bridge, we head over to the platform 6/7 island to await a Tunbridge Wells. After not much waiting, we spy double winners 465932 and 465929 which promptly take us to Orpington. The first few stages under the flyover and down to New Cross are slow as we wait for a conflicting move at Parks Bridge Jn; after which full power is applied and we rocket towards Orpington.

Upon arrival we realise the perils of having a failed PIS. There's a blind man and he has no idea where he is. This is quite bad. The platform staff are duly apprised and I'm hoping it ended well for him.

Regardless, we decide to venture up to winning Elmstead Woods on winning 465193, and what a beautiful station it is. Gardens, flowers, it's a really nice place to be. We thus decide to let the next train go and take pictures and enjoy the gardens (well, my hayfever didn't but that's another story). Just taking pictures and relaxing, it's a much needed antidote to the stress of a levels I'm putting up with at the moment.

Half an hour soon flies by, as extreme dud 376023 arrives to "whisk" us back to Lewisham. We head over for a train up the fast spur at Tanners Hill Jn, which is promptly delayed thanks to the entirety of the Lewisham layout operating around a flat crossing.

Rolling down Tanners Hill, I realise I've been this way before. Sigh, ah well. At least winning 465006 is on the front of this train (dud 465160 is on the back) and we come into London Bridge on time.

We're now heading for the tube and use this as an opportunity to see what's changed (platforms 1-5 didn't exist last time I was here!); and we find a board showing the changes over time. It features such sights as 4VEPs, 2EPBs and original Thameslink liveried 319s. Taking a walk through the new shopping arcade (shops coming later this year/beginning of next year), it's evident there's an issue with the roof. Leaks everywhere and it hasn't rained in about a week!

A leap on a refurbished 1996 stock to Stratford sees us in place in good time for double winners 315819 and 315828 on the mega mileage leap to winning Maryland, where a quick stroll past the public house which saw the start of Iron Maiden, to another pub of a well-known cheapish chain.

Unfortunately, I forgot there was footie on, so plastic pint glasses all round. Ugh.

Food consumed, a quick march back to the station sees us take winning 345006 as far as Romford, we're off for a bit of Renatus chasing. I personally don't like articulated vehicles as you can't lock one out and any noise or smells travel. The 345s feel a bit tacky and cheap but then again they were built to do a job.

Regardless, over we go to platform 2, where Renatus attempt #1 fails to produce, instead giving us double winners 360103 and 360109 on the run back to Stratford. I have just finished commuting on 450s so I'm not best pleased at their appearance!

Back at Stratford, we opt to bail for the standard "Desperate 90" move into Liverpool St.
Except, we managed to forget two Norwich turns are 321s vice a hauled set due to the Yarmouth Airshow. This is one of the 321 sets. Nowt special about them. We thus opted to wait a little longer for a train back to Romford, which produced winning 321424 and 321310. One of those was a Renatus one.

We took our seat in the refurb unit as power was applied. The transformer buzz remains but everything sounds different. Aircon works a treat however.

As the speed increased, we didn't get our usual EE sounds, instead something completely different. At full whack, they sound really different but actually quite fun. Do I rate them? Yes, very.

A local pulls out just as we arrive. It's no biggy, I love 10-minute frequencies.

This wait produces double winners 315836 and 315825 all the way back into Liverpool St.

Whilst poring over potential connections, I raise the point that I've not yet done the new London Bridge Thameslink layout. We thus devise a cunning plan which involves giving us 16 minutes to get from Liverpool Street to Farringdon, but we like a challenge so we give it a go, helping ourselves by switching into the front unit at Stratford.

Upon arrival at Liverpool Street, we, in an incredibly rare move, ran!
Onto a waiting sub-surface, arriving in Farringdon with a good 5 minutes to spare. This gives us enough time to move to the back now we know it's an FLU, so we can steal the first class.

Winning 700150 approaches rather quickly, as if it's in ATO mode. The doors duly release and the power changeover kicks off.
We move off right time, crawl through the core, round and down into London Bridge. As before, standard station duties and off we go.

Running down line 4, the southern lines peel off to the right. This is going to take some getting used to, as to me we're on the wrong side!
Eventually, we peel up and over, and drop down onto the down fast for speed and power to Croydon.

Yep, it's Croydon again. Woopty bloody doo.

A quick dash over the bridge and we pick up winning 700119 on a late northbound straight back to Farringdon. We left a friend at London Bridge on the way down as he had to get home, we duly pass his train as we're on our way back up. Waving occurs of course.

Back at Farringdon, we hop back over to the tube for a sub-surface back to Liverpool St.
Reasons I love having London Bridge open again: Farringdon to Croydon and back in 51 minutes.

Unfortunately, there are no Renatii waiting in the station (well, not that stop at Romford anyway!), so we settle for an AC-DC combo, in the shape of double winners 321325 and 321336. We sit in the AC to see if the ones without bodywork mods sound as good as the Renatii. Answer:no.

We arrive into Romford faced with the choice of doing a shuttle up to the next stop and back or getting water in a nearby supermarket. We opted for the latter.

It was a nice evening to be sitting around waiting, but tiredness was really setting in now; we thus start heading for home. First move in this respect is winning DC 321338.

I worked out that the connection at Waterloo would be too tight to come back via London Bridge so we decided to go via Bank. The dilemma, however, is whether to walk to Bank or take the tube. We're about to start walking when we can't remember the way so go and get the tube. We get all the way down and only when we get onto the 1992 stock and listen to the driver's announcement do we realise that the central isn't calling at Bank. With a huge groan we make our way back up and out, I call my dad to find out if we're walking the right way.

We are, so we duly arrive into Bank. We have the front carriage to ourself on the drain back to Waterloo so we have a mini rave of course!

I notice we've got about ten minutes until my train home, so we emerge from the chasm to find my train is up as a late start. I soon find out that the stock on the inbound has had a fire at Virginia Water. I could thus be here a while.

We think it's likely we'll get the set off the Windsor so they have time to check the issue with the planned set; surely enough that's exactly what happens as we watch both trains come in and the headcodes are duly swapped. The result is 458501 and 458502 take me home, starting a couple of minutes late as the driver needs to change ends. It seems the Windsor started right time so can't have been too big of an issue.

My friend leaves me at Richmond as I complete the short journey onto my station then walk home and completely run out of energy.
A tiring day but worth it to see friends for my birthday. No alcohol involved.

All in all:
Mileage: 199mi 63ch (So close!)
Winning units: 28
Winning shax: 4

Last one before my last 5(!) A level exams; which are thankfully now over and I've got four more of these ******* things to write (including my first ever pub crawl!)

As ever, I welcome feedback on these.

Status
Not open for further replies.