• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

433N Rambling (on and on and on ... )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Skymonster

Established Member
Nice to get an update from Jockland 433N - seems like you had a good day - thank you.

Established Member
A good report with some outstanding photos - the shot of 68006 really shows its power.

433N

A good report with some outstanding photos - the shot of 68006 really shows its power.

... although it's a bit of a cheat. It was actually following a local train up the line and so had stopped 100 yards up the track - which was a little of a surprise because I am not sure there is a signal at that point ; just a 'Whistle' sign for the crossing. So you are actually seeing it build up a head of steam from scratch.

The time you get the best idea of their power is when the whole of Edinburgh Waverley shakes as one arrives. :smile:

Established Member
Interesting stuff.
I think the hourly Manchester 319s finished at the May timetable change.

433N

Interesting stuff.
I think the hourly Manchester 319s finished at the May timetable change.

You may well be right but just after the timetable change, I spied a 319 at Newton-le-Willows on a MCV service ... and there was one parked up in the sidings at MCV ... so presumably they do run occasionally. Perhaps that is the Northern timetable now : " A train will run from Manchester Victoria - Liverpool Lime St , occasionally " . There again, the line does seem pretty well served by TPE. I could do (another) search on RTT but life's too short.

In a bizarre quirk of fate, November seems to be bringing a couple of (not exclusively spotting) trips which may well cure my unhealthy interest in trains ; one of which will involve Man Pic again. Trip reports will come if they happen.

Established Member
I was recently doing some research for a forthcoming Northern only move and was looking at going to Liverpool via Victoria.
RTT shows that tomorrow there is a direct service at 06.00, with the next being at 17.01, then 18.30.
So some, but not many.
A bit of a shame really as I was hoping to get a few in without going to Piccadilly.

Skymonster

Established Member
My experiences to Victoria a few weeks ago was one 319 was stabled to the east of the station all afternoon and only moved for a peak time service to Liverpool - bearing out @55013's research.

Interesting that @433N found Victoria improved - I thought it was a grim dull station filled with fumes and I didn't enjoy spending time there. The only redeeming feature was the variety of diesel units on offer, although Piccadilly was better yet in that respect.

433N

My experiences to Victoria a few weeks ago was one 319 was stabled to the east of the station all afternoon and only moved for a peak time service to Liverpool - bearing out @55013's research.

Interesting that @433N found Victoria improved - I thought it was a grim dull station filled with fumes and I didn't enjoy spending time there. The only redeeming feature was the variety of diesel units on offer, although Piccadilly was better yet in that respect.

Interestingly, the 319 was stabled to the west of the station when I was there.

Manchester Victoria in the 70s was pretty grim ... (hope the link works - pic not mine)
https://goo.gl/images/PWNzZL
... particularly if you went on one of those drizzly, grey, Mancy days. And the brewery smell, whilst usually very pleasant, was overpowering.
The only reason for going really was to view the unique-looking units in the photo on the Hull trains.

To be honest, I've never been overly-enamoured with either Mancs stations (Pic or Vic), but needs must etc...

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
I must beg to differ on the delights of Manchester Victoria in the late 70s.

By then, the Trans-Pennine DMUS (class 124) had been banished to the Liverpool/Piccadilly/Sheffield/Hull route, leaving the main services at Victoria loco-hauled, with 25s, 40s, 45s, 46s and 47s common, 31s and 55s occasionally, and 37s rare. There was plenty of freight, then multitudes of DMUS on the locals and the 504 EMUS on the Bury line.

And the buffet on platform 12 served excellent salami-salad sandwiches, and had a Galaxians machine to pass the time.

Spotting heaven!

Established Member
An interesting move.
I too thought 315854 had been binned but I had it on the 26th October, so it was definitely still around a couple of weeks ago.

MDB1images

Probably not long left for the classic stock so a good haul.
Seems bizarre to think Class 86's and 87's are still out on WCML work after all this time.
Saw 86401 bringing in the empties Tue night and it was in 'fine voice'.

433N

Probably not long left for the classic stock so a good haul.
Seems bizarre to think Class 86's and 87's are still out on WCML work after all this time.
Saw 86401 bringing in the empties Tue night and it was in 'fine voice'.

It really is bizarre. To think that I was being hauled by the same traction on a regular service train with my son as I had on the WCML 40 years ago, it is mind-blowing really. I guess, that Edinburgh - Carstairs is the best chance of getting it though ... and that wasn't electrified back in the day. I thought we were supposed to be getting 47s instead of these old rust bucket electrics. :)

I should have pointed out that it took me 5 hours to do the 30 miles from my house to Carstairs. My neighbour used to work at the 'state hospital' and commuted it every day.

I also forgot to say that 92018 did the honours on the Carstairs-Euston run ; should anyone be remotely interested.

big all

On Moderation
quite an interesting thread as an auld reekie lad my self who has been down south for approaching 50 years after spending the first 16 years off my life in sighthill
some really nice pictures around edinburgh
thaanks for sharing

Kite159

Veteran Member
A productive few hours for your book of sights at Bethnal Green :)

Plus some classic 86 action towards Carstairs

Established Member
Just caught up with this thread. Very good read. Some fairly busy days there and some cracking photos too. Nice to see that you can pick up freight in Scotland, if you know where to look for it.
The use of Colas Plugs being used on the cemments out of Oxwellmains to Seaham or Thurrock, has been most welcomed by my book of sights,I'm down to needing only 3 of them, 2 of those sadly worked the Seaham turn, unfortunately, the Seaham turn, generally eludes me more often than not, due to work.

You certainly did well in Northern Territories, I like going to Man Picc, good variety of locos and units. Ah the ole days, I loved Man Vic better, as Roebuck said, there would often be a great variety of diesel locos at Vic, always got to see the lesser spotted rat, they weren't uncommon at Tyne Yard, which was generally accepted as my home base but they were fairly infrequent, I normally done well for new sights at Man Vic. We'd just bail off the trans Pennine turns, pick off the stuff floating round for a couple of hours and make our way to Picc., I usually got a high rate of new scores at Man Picc too, the sparkys being the main draw then. These days Man Vic is a good place for roping in the Trams.
However I digress, that was a very productive day you had there, certainly helped put a big dint in your requirements. A trip to Leeds may help you rope even more in too.

I'm well jealous of 86401 for haulage, been a very long time since I had an 86 for haulage. I've still yet to have a 92 for haulage too. Sounded like a good session at Bethnal Green too. Will have to remember that one. If I can actually tear myself away from either Ealing Broadway, trying to rope(usually failing)in 59/1's or Stratford, when I'm in London. I also like Wandsworth Road, Denmark Hill or the bridge at Wilesden Junction. They're also worth a look if your in the capital.
Looking forward to the rest, thanks for sharing.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Nice work on clearing the 315s (that remain at least), especially given you're up in Scotland. I was fortunate enough to clear them for sights many years ago. I think there's either 2 or 3 remaining in service on LO I haven't been on, and I have no record of 315840 which I might have had once in a pair but oh well, no matter.

Certainly an interesting read, will be interesting to see where you got to in Kent!

Status
Not open for further replies.