• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

442s or 444s - poll!

Do you prefer 442s or 444s?

• 442s

Votes: 31 64.6%
  • 444s

Votes: 17 35.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ascot

Established Member
Ok i'v been thinking this for a while and hopefully i can get a better answer from this forum.

Plane spotters, take pics of anything that flys write number of anything that flys etc...

Train spotters, specific rules and regs on what to take or what to not take or else you get called a ned...

Explain :? :confuzzled:

Somebody please :'(

Besides there ent much difference from the 444 and 442 anyway, just the date of built and a few bits and bobs. They are still plastic, 3rd rail, South West Trains cakked over them and same purpose.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Not sure what plane spotters do for sure, so can't comment there.

As for trainspotters, well it is safe to say that 99% of this forum do not consider themselves spotters! As a number cruncher, I will say that numbers-wise I take everything. Locos, DMUs, EMUs, coaches and even wagons on an ad-hoc basis. I do preserved and NR stuff. The main thing is that every one of us has a preferred traction, and it is normal (in my eyes) for everyone to take the redundant waters out of the others who do not support their point of view. Much like I do with the non-HST likers, much like everyone else with me for not liking 442s amongst other things.

There will always be conflict between spotters (GWR Vs LNER for one famous example), but as long as it is friendly banter then it's all part of the fun and games. It's when the banter becomes deadly serious and into bullying that it becomes an issue.

Craig

Established Member
Somebody please :'(
IMO the problem isn't what people take numbers/photograph/bash that's the problem per se, it's more how they go about the hobby. My problem is people who obviously have no life other that trains who perpetually go on about the most un-interesting crap that I couldn't care less about.

metrocammel

IMO the problem isn't what people take numbers/photograph/bash that's the problem per se, it's more how they go about the hobby. My problem is people who obviously have no life other that trains who perpetually go on about the most un-interesting crap that I couldn't care less about.

That is very, very true.
Some people have no life beyond the platform.... There are several people on my msn account who clearly live and breath trains 24/7..... and IMO it is quite sad really. I personally have never got my head around this "trainspotting" thing, but OK, some people do it, and good luck to them, I know some people who "spot", but then also have a life doing other things, going to gigs, getting p*ssed etc..... which is good... but when a person perpetually talks and bores people to death about trains.... it really makes me feel sorry for them..... there are definately some people, with several members on here, who need to get a life at some point......!

16CSVT2700

Established Member
Now a few may agree with me with the following..

I consider myself a non-stereotypical spotter. I mean if you didn't know who I was and saw me walkin down the high street you wouldn't even think for a minute about what I do. Mainly cos I don't live and breath trains unlike some people I know/knew who are/were on my MSN contact list.

Take yesterday for example. I had my friend Sam T over my place thursday night because we went out early to Cholsey Manor farm on friday for some photos, and it also offered me a chance at something different, a church at sunrise ;);
church011ay.jpg

After a few videos and getting bored then air-guitaring to some rock music on my phone using my tripod *coughandvideoingit* We returned to the station, and I jumped off the turbo at Maidenhead in order to take my friend Gemma out for lunch, a "date" of sorts.

Now I challenge any of you (apart from maybe Craig & Vicki ;)) to better that mixture in a day ;).
In fact Gemma liked being out with me yesterday that we've now organised the same every week. Plus she may be accompanying myself, Mark, David, and whoever else goes to North Wales again, to see what exactly we do first hand.

All I can say to the rest of you is.. get the f**k in ;) :lol:

Craig

Established Member
This hobby seems to attract more oddities than most, which I guess is why when you say "rail enthusiast" or whatever most people think of the stoat in the anorak at the end of the platform who's there 24/7 regardless. Personally I don't have a problem with those types (not that I want to be associated with them), if that's what they like then let them get on with it. The ones that annoy me are people who seem to like attracting attention to themselves. Case point being the knobend I witnessed at the ELR yesterday loudly overusing the phrases "hellfire" and "dreadful" - pretty much saying it every time he said something. Absolutely no need for it (and soup isn't hellfire!) :roll:

Anyway, I've only had about 4 hours sleep since yesterday morning, so I'm probably rambling and not making a lot of sense, so I'll shut up now :p

Now I challenge any of you (apart from maybe Craig & Vicki ;)) to better that mixture in a day ;).
:lol:

Ascot

Established Member
Not sure what plane spotters do for sure, so can't comment there.

Share the same interest in aviation being taking images, writing numbers, general viewing, flying, etc... no fancy catagories just one term to describe the lot. No ashamed names etc...

That's where i'm getting confused tbh

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I have no problem with how much I'm into my hobby. Tis better than being on the drink or on the tablets...

Oh, and J, I'm not at all envious that you've got female company to go with you lot to North Wales...No, not at all...

Craig

Established Member
I have no problem with how much I'm into my hobby.
Fine, but do you really need to get so excited about your hellfire mental bash to the toilets at Cardiff bus station or whatever?

I don't understand why people feel that it's necessary to froth at the sight of a train, I don't do it for trains or any other of my hobbies. If I started getting into flap every time I saw a photo opportunity and started shouting "hellfire" and "dreadful", people would quite rightly think I was a bit of a ****.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Fine, but do you really need to get so excited about your hellfire mental bash to the toilets at Cardiff bus station or whatever?

I don't understand why people feel that it's necessary to froth at the sight of a train, I don't do it for trains or any other of my hobbies. If I started getting into flap every time I saw a photo opportunity and started shouting "hellfire" and "dreadful", people would quite rightly think I was a bit of a ****.

With respect to the first bit, if anyone did get excited about a trip to the lavatories I think they'd need their head looking at! I certainly don't!

I don't understand why some people, especially those who declare themselves to be enthusiasts, have to use unsightly and unnecessary labels for people.

As it is, I usually go around with a most dignified attitude and go about my hobby quietly. Not always - certainly not when there is a monsterous bit of HST action, or for that matter 37 action, going on - I must state, but it is the usual.

I must offer a contrary opinion to your thinking that people would think you're a **** for using the word 'dreadful' around a train. If it were done with terrible service with FGW around you then I do believe they'd agree with you! :D

I will also say that not having the opportunity to go out spotting, photting, filming or bashing whenever I want to, due to being a considerable distance from the nearest railway line/depot/yard, makes any rail action exciting. Even a Pacer is better than nothing!

Craig

Established Member
With respect to the first bit, if anyone did get excited about a trip to the lavatories I think they'd need their head looking at! I certainly don't!
Didn't you post a story a while back detailing your toilet stops for the day?

I don't understand why some people, especially those who declare themselves to be enthusiasts, have to use unsightly and unnecessary labels for people.
Sometimes it's necessary to label people. Yes there's a common interest, but some of the various areas are worlds apart. One fairly extreme example would be people who work for the railway and people who stand at the end of a platform writing down numbers come rain or shine - hardly the same.

I must offer a contrary opinion to your thinking that people would think you're a **** for using the word 'dreadful' around a train. If it were done with terrible service with FGW around you then I do believe they'd agree with you! :D
Not if I was also wetting myself at the prospect of travelling on an HST...

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I mentioned those purely as a result of the problems of drinking lots of liquids in the space of a couple of hours then trying to do a dash across New Street.

No-one is suggesting that there aren't differences with some people, but those weren't the labels I were referring to.

As for wetting oneself as a result of an upcoming HST, well I believe the only ticket such people would need is a one-way, direct route-only, ticket to the doctor's to get such a problem (the lack of a controllable bladder) sorted. Like I've said elsewhere in this thread, any and all rail moves are exciting to me. I'm obsessed with HSTs. So what. Some people are obsessed with 37s, some with 47s, some with 50s...the list goes on. I am doing no harm to anyone, it keeps me out of trouble and I enjoy it. What's wrong with that? If I get excited about an upcoming HST bash, that's up to me. If I decide to invite other people to attend a meet-up on the bash, that's up to me and those who decide to turn up.

T

Tom

It's his nickname on other forums as well AFAIK, makes sense to keep it unified.

Craig

Established Member
No-one is suggesting that there aren't differences with some people, but those weren't the labels I were referring to.
If you mean calling people stoats then I think it is necessary. I don't want to be associated with any of the states that can be seen making station platforms look untidy. Most of my friends who know I have an interest in railways can tell the difference between my interest and that of a stoat, which is a good thing. If there was no labelling then people might think that I do the same thing as stoats, which isn't true.

As for wetting oneself as a result of an upcoming HST, well I believe the only ticket such people would need is a one-way, direct route-only, ticket to the doctor's to get such a problem (the lack of a controllable bladder) sorted. Like I've said elsewhere in this thread, any and all rail moves are exciting to me. I'm obsessed with HSTs.
I wasn't referring to that kind of wetting, some people seem to get a little bit too excited at the sight of a train...

Jim

Established Member

I ONLY do when I need to go, the most exciting bit is to try & find 1 thats free :mrgreen:

Status
Not open for further replies.