• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

507 001 could be preserved?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stumbled upon this website in a recent web search, looks like someone want to preserve 507 001. Thought it might spark some interest on this thread in the hope that one gets saved. :)

https://www.class507.org.uk/
We propose to preserve 507001 to ensure that the class's contribution to the region's railway history is not forgotten. This website has been set up to gauge interest and get organised.
It came from a news article in RailAdvent

https://www.railadvent.co.uk/2023/1...ect-to-save-a-merseyrail-class-507-train.html
The man behind the scheme is lifelong rail enthusiast, Robert Hampton. He realised that the Class 507 units were soon to be consigned to history, and decided to start The Class 507 Preservation Project to save one of them. H
If enough people respond to Robert's appeal and confirm their interest in supporting the project, he hopes to open a crowdfunding effort to raise sufficient funds to both purchase a complete Class 507 unit and move it to a new location.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tremzinho

I agree that a PEP unit should be preserved, but how big a priority is to keep a 507, when it is almost identical to the 313 which is already being preserved?

There’s some talk of National Museums Liverpool opening a new transport museum in Birkenhead, but NML already have a big transport collection of that have been gathering dust in a warehouse since the closure in the 80’s of the Large Objects Museum in the old Riverside Station.

Would they have room for the 507 or would this end up rotting away outdoors like the 502 and 503s did until fairly recently? Will this just be a distraction from getting the 502 and 503 units restored and on display?

Sorry to sound negative, but I think it’s better to preserve a small number of the most important EMU’s, and do it well, rather than try to keep a large number and do it badly.

I agree that a PEP unit should be preserved, but how big a priority is to keep a 507, when it is almost identical to the 313 which is already being preserved?

There’s some talk of National Museums Liverpool opening a new transport museum in Birkenhead, but NML already have a big transport collection of that have been gathering dust in a warehouse since the closure in the 80’s of the Large Objects Museum in the old Riverside Station.

Would they have room for the 507 or would this end up rotting away outdoors like the 502 and 503s did until fairly recently? Will this just be a distraction from getting the 502 and 503 units restored and on display?

Sorry to sound negative, but I think it’s better to preserve a small number of the most important EMU’s, and do it well, rather than try to keep a large number and do it badly.

Regarding the 503 unit. The unit is part of the Hertiage Electric Trains Trust, same as 4SUB 4732. Its worth having a read of a recent article in the contactor (memebers magazine for the HETT/SERA). Link to the article in question - http://www.4sub4732.co.uk/downloads/503/4Sub_TheContactor06_503_Pages.pdf

Looks like this campaign has gathered pace since this thread was started. The site now reports a possible new home for 507 001 at the Tanat Valley Light Railway in Oswestry (SY10 9HW), but they need approx. £10,000 to move the unit by Road to the site, so they are now running a crowdfunding appeal.
I was wondering why the unit couldn't be hauled by a Diesel Loco from the Merseyrail network to their nearest station at Gobowen and transport the last 6 miles by road.
I am not familiar with the Tanat Valley Railway or the local area round there, but from their website I think it the site is isolated from the National Rail network. Can anyone advise if this would be a cheaper option, or even possible?

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Looks like this campaign has gathered pace since this thread was started. The site now reports a possible new home for 507 001 at the Tanat Valley Light Railway in Oswestry (SY10 9HW), but they need approx. £10,000 to move the unit by Road to the site, so they are now running a crowdfunding appeal.
I was wondering why the unit couldn't be hauled by a Diesel Loco from the Merseyrail network to their nearest station at Gobowen and transport the last 6 miles by road.
I am not familiar with the Tanat Valley Railway or the local area round there, but from their website I think it the site is isolated from the National Rail network. Can anyone advise if this would be a cheaper option, or even possible?

It’s actually already being discussed here:

Status
Not open for further replies.