• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

507021's Days Out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
I thought I'd start a new thread for my trip reports! Here's my report from last Saturday, when I went out with my good friend djpontrack for the day.

507021 and djpontrack head to Yorkshire via Manchester.

Getting up nice and early for my day out, I nipped out to get my Dad's newspapers for him before returning home for something to eat. I left at about 09:25, with everyone still asleep when I left! After a ten minute walk to the bus stop and a short wait, it was Arriva North West's Volvo B5LH BW66 GYV (4830) which did the honours. I really like the Gemini3s, from both points of view.

I had a quick look around St John's Shopping Centre to pass some time, before quickly heading over to Iceland to pick up some lunch and a packet of cakes for my wife to be and daughter to share (they went down very well) when I got home later. I then headed over to Lime Street to wait for djpontrack, who was arriving at 10:26. He'd kept me up to date with his progress, which was much appreciated.

At 10:31, djpontrack arrived. As part of our schedule, we planned to leave Lime Street on the 10:55 to Manchester Oxford Road, so we went through to Platform 2 to wait for it. This train was formed of 150136 and 142047. Deciding we didn't want to sit on a Class 142 all the way to our first stop of the day, we opted for the 150. We departed on time, with djpontrack showing me the excellent progress he has made visiting stations across the network along the way.

We eventually alighted at Irlam, which was a new station for me. Whoever restored the station building and turned into a café did an excellent job, with a wide range of really interesting memorabilia on display inside and outside. I was that impressed by it I'm going to be taking my partner and daughter there on our way to Manchester on Wednesday.

Boarding the next train to leave Irlam, which was formed of 142057 partnered with 142042 (we took the former), we took this all the way into Manchester. Alighting at Oxford Road, djpontrack suggested we head up to St Peter's Square to have a look at the trams for a bit to pass the time until or next journey. This was productive for him, scoring one new tram for sight.

Heading back to Manchester Oxford Road after a detour via Sainsbury's, we boarded the 13:38 to Leeds, which was in the hands of 158753. I do like the interior of these, but djpontrack and I agreed the legroom in the centre car wasn't that great. With the Ordsall Chord in the bag for both of us (both of us "re-completing" the Northern network for coverage), we alighted at Manchester Victoria.

Our next move was in the hands of 319442, which is one of my favourite Northern units. It's a favourite because last week, my daughter and I went out for a "mini bash", and this was her favourite train out of the three we had because she liked the declassified first class seats. 319442 was a winner for djpontrack, with it being a winner for me a few days previously. Also a special mention to the guard on this service (the 14:02 Manchester Victoria-Lime Street), who was a really nice bloke and wished us a nice day when we alighted.

We alighted 319442 at Patricroft, which was a winner shack for us both. We went over to The Queens Arms for a pint to pass the time, which was very conveniently only a two minute walk away from the station. Both of us had passed this pub many times combined over the years, so djpontrack in particular was very pleased to finally get a chance to pop in.

We left The Queens Arms a few minutes before our train, the 15:04 to Manchester Victoria, was due to depart Patricroft. This was the slightly late running 319386, although we managed to make our next move with plenty of time to spare. To our amusement, the 15:26 to Leeds was in the hands of 142012, although we did manage to get a seat for our journey.

We took 142012 all the way up to Mytholmroyd, which was another winner shack for us both. Notably, this move meant that djpontrack had now had 142012 into and out of Manchester Victoria. With about 20 minutes or so to wait for our next train, we decided to go into the nearby pub (The Shoulder of Mutton Inn) for another pint. It was much busier than The Queens Arms we'd been in previously, presumably with a lot of people going in to watch the rugby.

After finishing our pints, we went back to the station to catch our next train. This was 150133, which we took one stop up the line to Hebden Bridge, which was my fourth new shack of the day. I'd always wanted to visit this one in particular after seeing it on TV a few months ago, and I wasn't disappointed.

Our next train was 158851, which was on a service from York. djpontrack then showed me the excellent progress he has made on the rail network, which is a lot more than the progress I've made over the past few years. We were on 158851 for around an hour, taking it all the way to Preston. We alighted there and decided to have a walk around outside to have a look at the rail replacement stock, mainly Blackpool Transport Enviro400s with an assortment of coaches as well.

I decided I would get the 18:29 back to Liverpool, with djpontrack deciding to join me as far as Wigan North Western. I was quite amused when 150210 arrived to take this service, although everyone waiting for this service managed to get on and get a seat. It's one of the better 150/2s in my opinion, although the interior was quite jazzy to say the least (red doors, pink door controls, brown bulkheads and beige panels).

Once 150210 arrived at Wigan North Western, djpontrack and I parted ways. I continued south, with djpontrack heading back to Preston on the next service north (he got a pair of 156s, which would have been preferred to the two car 150!). I arrived back at Lime Street only a minute or so late, and decided it was time to head home to see how everyone was. I headed over to the bus station to head home, with a Gemini3 and Enviro400 (SK15 GYN) arriving at the same time. It was easy to opt for BT66 MTX (4807), which left after the Enviro400 but ultimately got to my stop just ahead of it.

No new units today, but four new shacks on the Northern network was very welcome.

A big, big thanks to djpontrack for his excellent company which I thoroughly enjoyed. It was great to meet you mate, and the pints are on me next time!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

djpontrack

An excellent day out mate and a great trip report.
We certainly had a good variety of Northern units and I was well pleased to get the ordsall chord done.
It was great to finally meet you and I look forward to another trip out and a couple of pints.

Established Member
Sounded like a good little trip :)

Thanks Kite, it was.

An excellent day out mate and a great trip report.
We certainly had a good variety of Northern units and I was well pleased to get the ordsall chord done.
It was great to finally meet you and I look forward to another trip out and a couple of pints.

Thanks mate, glad you enjoyed it.

I'm looking forward to our next trip out too. :)

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Nice to see you’re getting out and about 021. Enjoyed reading about it.
Seems like only yesterday you had your daughter but already she’s got her own machine :lol:

Established Member
This trip report dates from Friday 23rd February.

Shacks, Shacks and More Shacks.

After running some errands in the morning, I’d arranged to meet djpontrack at Lime Street for 09:45 on February 23rd. With our SaveAways and lunch purchased, we headed down to the lower level platform. We boarded 508115, which our first train of the day, and took this to Hamilton Square ahead of our planned train to our first destination of the day.

Departing Hamilton Square a few minutes late on 508122, we took this down to Overpool, with was a new shack for me. There wasn’t really much to do here, so we walked over to the other platform and waited for the same unit to return. Our next stop was Little Sutton, which was a new shack for us both and quite a nice station too, we thought.

We then decided to get some more mileage, so crossed over to the Ellesmere Port bound platform to get the next service in that direction. This wasn’t such a bad idea, because it was none other than 507021, which was notably my first ride on a Class 507 this year. Taking 507021 to Ellesmere Port, we then took it from there up to Bromborough, a winner shack for my good friend.

From Bromborough, we went one stop up the line on 508134 to Bromborough Rake, a new shack for us both. Our stop here was very brief, as we caught the late-running 508125 down to Bache, another new shack for us both. At this point, we decided to go for a pint, so we went to The Mill on Liverpool Road. I had a pint of Holt’s Crystal (it wasn’t too bad) and djpontrack had a pint of Two Hoots, which he said was nice. I would have had a Two Hoots myself, but unfortunately ale doesn’t agree with me.

We left Bache at 12:18, heading north up to Spital on 508122. Here, we decided to go for another quick drink, and went to The Three Stags. After a swift pint here, it was a brisk walk back to the station for our next train, which we made with a few minutes to spare. This time, it was back down to Capenhurst, another winner for us both. I can see why the service here is limited, because there’s virtually nothing there. Fortunately, we didn’t have to wait too long, and got the 13:23 service from Capenhurst up to Hamilton Square, which was in the hands of 507018.

In Birkenhead, we had some time free before we had our next train. We headed around the corner to Gallaghers Pub, which was our favourite pub of the day. I enjoyed it that much I planned to take my partner there, although at the time of writing this, I haven’t got around to it yet.

After another enjoyable pint, we went back to the station for our next train. This was a short journey (the unit was 507016) up the New Brighton Branch to Wallasey Grove Road, a winner for us both. We then went to Birkenhead North to swap onto the West Kirby branch, with 507024 taking us to Manor Road. A couple of hops along this line saw both of us tick off Meols (508103) and djpontrack tick off Leasowe (507024 again). We took this back to Hamilton Square before I managed to tick off Birkenhead Central (508112 again) and Green Lane (507004) after two other short hops.

From Green Lane, we went back to Moorfields on 507011. We switched onto the Northern Line, as djpontrack needed a few stations along here. We took 507010 up to Sandhills for a quick leap, departing here at 16:59 on 508117. We took this unit as far as Seaforth and Litherland, another station ticked off for my good friend. From here, we headed south to Bank Hall (507012 partnered with 507023), which was a further new shack for djpontrack. Bank Hall isn’t the most exciting station, so we left immediately on a northbound service (508120 partnered with 508111), going up to Bootle Oriel Road just to get a bit more mileage in.

From Bootle, we went back to Moorfields (507029) and then took a quick ride around the loop to Lime Street (508115), where we would be parting ways for the day. Unfortunately, the 18:01 which djpontrack planned to get had been cancelled, so he went over to The Crown for a pint to pass the time, whilst I continued my day out for a bit longer. From Lime Street, I took the 18:08 to Moreton (508103 again), my final new shack of the day. After a few minutes waiting at Moreton, I travelled back to Lime Street (507001), and then went home on Arriva North West’s 4666 (SK15 GZC).

-

Admittedly, I nearly didn't post this trip report because I was considering making my break from RailForums a permanent one. However, I'm back again and I hope to post more trip reports in the future. I'm not sure when that will be though, because I'm due to return to work early next month and I have a lot coming up between now and then.

djpontrack

A cracking day out mate and an excellent trip report. It was good to get so many Merseyrail shacks done. I've just got four on the ormskirk branch to do now and Brunswick.

That pub at Birkenhead was good too, I will have to pop in again next time I'm in the area.

Glad you're back on here mate and hope to see you out on the rails soon.

Established Member
Well I, for one, am glad you decided not to forego trip reporting.
I really enjoy reading about these kind of outings and I've gained inspiration from many people, including your good self.
As usual this was a great read.
Thanks for posting.

Established Member
A cracking day out mate and an excellent trip report. It was good to get so many Merseyrail shacks done. I've just got four on the ormskirk branch to do now and Brunswick.

That pub at Birkenhead was good too, I will have to pop in again next time I'm in the area.

Glad you're back on here mate and hope to see you out on the rails soon.

Thanks mate, I really enjoyed it too.

It was definitely my most productive day for shacks on Merseyrail. I only need four or five on the Wirral Line now, then that's Merseyrail cleared for shacks and haulage until Maghull North opens and the Class 777s enter service.

Well I, for one, am glad you decided not to forego trip reporting.
I really enjoy reading about these kind of outings and I've gained inspiration from many people, including your good self.
As usual this was a great read.
Thanks for posting.

Thank you, that means a lot. I only started writing my trip reports through reading others, particularly Techniquest's, although he sadly is no longer active on the forum.

I really enjoy reading your reports too, your latest one was excellent as ever.

No problem, I hope to publish another trip report soon.

Established Member
Trip Report: March 16th, 2018.

It's been a while, but I thought to pass some time before tonight's match, I would finally write up this trip report.

I'd arranged to meet good friend djpontrack with the plan to get some more shacks. Before meeting him at Ormskirk, I decided to get some extra mileage. After getting a SaveAway, I went to Lime Street station and went for the 09:55 to Manchester Oxford Road. 142057 was the unit operating the service, and I took it as far as Hunts Cross, where I planned to turn back and start my journey north.

Less than ten minutes later, I was on my way back to Central on 507024, where I alighted to get my next train to Ormskirk. I waited around for a short time before boarding my next train, the 10:55 from Central. In charge of this service was 508104, and soon the uneventful journey ended and I arrived at Ormskirk to wait for djpontrack, who had decided to tick off Croston and Rufford on that line. He arrived on a 142 and went to get his SaveAway, before we boarded our first train of the day, 507033 "Councillor Jack Spriggs".

We took the newest Class 507 along the line to Town Green, and then came back on ourselves to get Aughton Park (508127). Two things I have noticed about Aughton Park are how small the ticket office is and how long it takes to transfer from one platform to the other. 508127 returned shortly afterwards, and we took this unit down to Walton. The weather wasn't very good today, but to pass the time, we decided to go out onto the road to see if any buses of interest passed by. Apart from an Arriva North West VDL SB200, which was going to Southport, there was nothing of interest.

We returned to the platform, with Old Roan our next destination, with this journey being operated by 508143. Once we arrived at Old Roan, we swapped platforms ahead of our next move. I ended up with my second ride of the day on 508104, which took us to Liverpool Central. To my disappointment, our next move was running late, making our already tight connection at Brunswick even tighter.

508126 rolled into the platform two minutes late, losing another minute en-route to Brunswick. Unfortunately, just as we alighted 508126 at Brunswick, which was djpontrack's last required shack on Merseyrail, the unit we planned to get back to Central arrived (and departed) before we could get to the opposite platform. A fifteen minute wait was therefore required, with 508111 "The Beatles" arriving to take us back to Central.

At Central, we switched onto the Wirral Line to make a start on my remaining required shacks. We took 507027 on a short hop from Central to Hamilton Square, alighting and then boarding 508103 on a Chester-bound service. We took this as far as Eastham Rake, which was my first new shack of the day. Heading back to Hamilton Square on 507005, we decided it was time to go for a pint. We ended up going back to our favourite pub, Gallagher's, before resuming our schedule.

The West Kirby-bound 507016 "Celebrating Ten Years of Merseyrail" was our next unit, which we took as far as Hoylake. We planned for a break here as well, and decided to go to the Hoylake Lights for another quick pint.

After arriving back at Lime Street on 508120, we switched to the mainline for a planned trip to and from South Parkway. This was notably my first journey on the West Midlands franchise since West Midlands Railway took over, with 350254 operating this service, which was a winner for djpontrack. At South Parkway, we alighted and waited for our next service back to Lime Street. We went for a Northern stopper service, which was operated by 150147.

Back at Lime Street, we had a quick think about what to do. We decided to take 319424 up to Garswood and have a couple of drinks there, which wasn't a bad call at all. After a couple of pints in The Railway Inn, we decided to call it a day and head home. After saying goodbye to djpontrack, who (correctly) guessed my two car service would be a Pacer, I crossed the platform to wait for my service, which was operated by 142037.

djpontrack

A great day out mate and a great trip report. I was really pleased to get my last Merseyrail shack in the bag, well until Maghull North opens. It was also good to get some more miles on the 507’s and 508’s.
I think Gallaghers in Birkenhead is my favourite pub on that side of the Mersey. The Railway Inn at Garswood is a favourite stopping off point for me on the way home from a Merseyside trip.
I got 319376 back to Wigan for a quick pint in Wigan Central while you made your way back to lime st on a 142. Then it was 319448 to Preston for a pair of 153’s to Lancaster (153316/153328) then lastly 142040 back to morecambe.

See you soon mate.

Established Member
A great day out mate and a great trip report. I was really pleased to get my last Merseyrail shack in the bag, well until Maghull North opens. It was also good to get some more miles on the 507’s and 508’s.
I think Gallaghers in Birkenhead is my favourite pub on that side of the Mersey. The Railway Inn at Garswood is a favourite stopping off point for me on the way home from a Merseyside trip.
I got 319376 back to Wigan for a quick pint in Wigan Central while you made your way back to lime st on a 142. Then it was 319448 to Preston for a pair of 153’s to Lancaster (153316/153328) then lastly 142040 back to morecambe.

See you soon mate.

Thanks mate, hope to see you again soon. :)

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Always good to rattle about on trains and shoot the breeze with a good friend.
And at least I know who Jack Spriggs is now...

Established Member
Sounded like a good day in Merseyside :)

It was thanks, the weather did get brighter as the day went on thankfully. :)

Always good to rattle about on trains and shoot the breeze with a good friend.
And at least I know who Jack Spriggs is now...

It is mate, I really needed that day out. :)

I'd never heard of Jack Spriggs until they named 507033 after him to be honest.

Looks like a mighty enjoyable day :)

It was thanks, we're hopefully going on another day out soon. :)

Established Member
A Much Needed Day Out.

Yesterday, my good friend @djpontrack and I decided to meet up and go out for the day.

After getting my SaveAway, I boarded Arriva North West's SK15 GYH (4651) and rode that as far as Lime Street, where I met djpontrack. We had a quick look at the Class 777 mock up which was outside, before heading down to the underground platform for our first train of the day.

Our first train was 508125, which we took as far as James Street. From there, we went around to Moorfields on 507011 and then down to South Parkway on 508138.

From South Parkway, we took 350265 back to Lime Street. We then opted to head back over to the Wirral, with 508122 taking us as far as Hamilton Square. We alighted there and boarded the next service, which was operated by 507006. We took 507006 to West Kirby, before heading to Bidston on the same unit. After a short wait at Bidston (not the most exciting station, IMO), we boarded 150229 on a Borderlands Line service. We both liked this unit, which we took as far as the required Heswall.

Unfortunately, I'd forgotten there were no longer any buses operating past the station. We ended up walking for 20 minutes or so back into Heswall, where djpontrack decided to get himself something to eat from Boots.

We then boarded Stagecoach Merseyside's MX06 XAY (19022). We were going to stay on as far as Birkenhead, where we were going to get a 38, but djpontrack realised at Arrowe Park that we were within walking distance of our next station. After walking to Upton, we waited a short while before boarding 150229 again. There was only one unit in service on the Borderlands Line yesterday, so the service was every two hours.

Back at Bidston, we went back to Birkenhead on 507006 (for the third time) and went for a much needed drink. We then decided to go back to Liverpool (on 507017) and go to Liverpool South Parkway and back. Our first train to South Parkway was 350238, which is my favourite 350. On the way back, we were very pleased when 158846 arrived coupled to 153376. The latter was a winner for djpontrack.

We decided to go on 153376 again, which we took as far as South Parkway. There, djpontrack and I parted ways as he headed back to Crewe on 350372, which was a required unit for him. I decided to stay out for a bit longer, so I did a few more trips between South Parkway and Lime Street, which were as follows:

LPY to LIV on 156401 (coupled to 158783).
LIV to LPY on winner 350124.
LPY to LIV on winner 350128.
LIV to LPY on my favourite DMU, 156464 (coupled to 156441).
LPY to LIV on 350238.

After arriving back on 350238, I headed home on Arriva North West's SK15 GZH (4671), and went straight to bed as I was absolutely exhausted!

Once again, thank you to djpontrack for his excellent company. I look forward to seeing you again soon mate. The two required shacks and two required units were a bonus too, as I have now visited all of the stations in the Merseytravel SaveAway zone.

Thank you for reading. :)

djpontrack

Another great day out and a great trip report, thanks mate.

I didn't realise there would be so much walking involved, my knee is aching a bit today. It was good to sit down in Gallaghers and have a pint, we had earned it. I want to go back to heswall and visit that micropub called the beer lab that we saw.

I was pleased with the EMT 153, the last time I was on that it was still a 155. I don't think I've seen a 153 in Lime St before.
0390AFB3-6FB5-4C55-9C03-E414FBBC3538.jpeg 9C97674C-6602-47EB-8F1E-E44620497091.jpeg E2A64CC8-8E41-48C1-ACEA-8C7F72997123.jpeg

Well done completing the SaveAway network for shacks, I've just got Halewood left to do.

As you said I had 350372 back to Crewe then voyagers 221143 & 221104 to Wigan NW for a visit to Wigan Central. Pendolino 390020 was taken to Lancaster for stagecoach 10022 back to Morecambe as Northern had abandoned the Morecambe branch yet again.

Thanks again mate and I hope to have the pleasure of your company on the rail network soon.

Last edited:

Established Member
Shame the service levels were only 2-hourly yesterday, but sounded like a pleasant little day trip

Yeah, it was a shame. We're planning to do the other two shacks on that line in the future, probably in the spring or summer of next year. I'll probably do the Borderlands Line again when the Class 230s enter service.

It was a good day, thanks Kite. :)

Another great day out and a great trip report, thanks mate.
I didn't realise there would be so much walking involved, my knee is aching a bit today. It was good to sit down in Gallaghers and have a pint, we had earned it. I want to go back to heswall and visit that micropub called the beer lab that we saw.

I was pleased with the EMT 153, the last time I was on that it was still a 155. I don't think I've seen a 153 in Lime St before.

Well done completing the SaveAway network for shacks, I've just got Halewood left to do.

As you said I had 350372 back to Crewe then voyagers 221143 & 221104 to Wigan NW for a visit to Wigan Central. Pendolino 390020 was taken to Lancaster for stagecoach 10022 back to Morecambe as Northern had abandoned the Morecambe branch yet again.

Thanks again mate and I hope to have the pleasure of your company on the rail network soon.

I was surprised at the amount of walking too mate, I fell asleep within five minutes of getting home lol.

The 153 was good, I was pleased to get those two required 350s and a ride on my favourite DMU too.

Thanks mate, next time you're in the area we can visit Halewood and tick that one off for you as well.

Looking forward to seeing you again soon mate. :)

Chris217

Nice trip report 507021
Unusual to see a class 153 DMU at Lime Street,so a good catch.

Ha,reading some of your previous posts,I noticed you had bumped into what was up until recently,my last class 142 142057 for haulage a few different times lol.

I managed to finally get it on a recent Manchester trip.
Here is a video of my day in question

Hope you enjoy watching the video.

Established Member
Nice trip report 507021
Unusual to see a class 153 DMU at Lime Street,so a good catch.

Ha,reading some of your previous posts,I noticed you had bumped into what was up until recently,my last class 142 142057 for haulage a few different times lol.

I managed to finally get it on a recent Manchester trip.
Here is a video of my day in question

Hope you enjoy watching the video.

Hi Chris, thanks for your kind comments.

I'll have a watch of your video later on. :)

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I know it’s a bit late but I enjoyed reading about yours and djp’s trip out.
Hope you’re well mate?

Established Member
A Superb Day Out.

After a good friend from Ireland told me he was coming over for a few days, I decided to meet up with him after finding out I wasn’t working on the day he arrived.

My day started with the 09:16 from Liverpool Lime Street to Manchester Piccadilly, which was in the hands of 195125. It was my second ride on a 195, and it was nice to have one on a longer run. After meeting my friend and getting my Wayfarer at Piccadilly, we decided to take the Free Bus to Manchester Victoria. Interestingly, Man Vic was the only station where my Wayfarer opened the ticket barriers all day.

We decided to go to Bolton, with this service operated by a 150/2 (I think it was 201) and 153359, and we opted for the latter. After getting to Bolton, we decided to get something to eat and opted for the excellent Marley’s café, which gave us both good food and service. I’ll be going there again next time I’m in the area.

After lunch, we went over to Wigan on the number 7 bus. It was quite a long trip, but it was an enjoyable one none the less. We didn’t stay in Wigan long, and after heading to Wigan Wallgate station we decided to go to Rochdale. It turned out the driver of the train was retiring that day after 35 years, so we gave him a deserved round of applause as he left the cab.

This service was operated by 150130 paired with 150136, and we went with the former. My friend fell asleep on this service, but considering he’d been awake since 3am I wasn’t surprised! After we got to Rochdale we paid a visit to the very interesting Greater Manchester Fire Brigade Museum, which I plan to go back to again in the future. The guide, Les, was very informative and it was a pleasure to meet him.

We took the Metrolink back into Manchester, with 3094 operating the first leg of our journey from Rochdale. After changing at Victoria, we boarded winner 3003 which we stayed on until Piccadilly Gardens. A pint was in order, so we went to The Shakespeare on Fountain Street. While we were there it started raining, so we decided to be lazy and get the tram from Market Street to the bus station.

However, we boarded the wrong tram, so alighted winner 3119 at St Peter’s Square and took winner 3101 back to Piccadilly Gardens. My friend decided to head back to his hotel at this point, so we boarded a 192 bus and I joined him for the journey before heading back into Manchester city centre to head home myself.

I had planned to head back to Liverpool from Piccadilly, but at the last second, I changed my mind and went downstairs to the Metrolink platforms. I boarded 3003 for the second time that day and took it to Victoria, where I alighted and decided to get the 19:55 TransPennine Express service back to Lime Street. Unfortunately, it was delayed, and I waited for my Class 185 to arrive. I gathered it was going to be a 185 because the service information stated it was a three car service.

Switching my departure from Piccadilly to Victoria proved to be a good call, a very good one. It wasn’t a 185 as stated, it was in fact 68025 Superb” with a rake of Mark 5A carriages and DTSO 12804. We’d seen the same set earlier in the day on our way to Rochdale, so I was absolutely delighted it would be my train home. It had turned out to be a Superb day indeed.

I plan to post the report of day two and a review of the Nova 3 stock over the next couple of days, and of course, thanks for reading.

djpontrack

Sounds like a good trip mate. I’ve not had a ride on the Mk 5s yet but I see them often at Longsight on my way to Manchester Airport.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Ah great stuff. And a reminder to me that I’ve got on awful lot of trip reports to catch up on...
Those 195s look pretty decent actually, I’d hoped to have a ride on one a couple of months ago on my way to the ELR diesel gala but I ended up on a 156 (which I didn’t actually mind to be honest).

Status
Not open for further replies.