• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bse35

I've been looking at photos of didcot's gwr175 events and have seen no 5322 in a light brown livery. Can anyone shed some light on why it is like that.

Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Daimler

Established Member
It's War Department (or, as it says on the tender 'ROD' - Railway Operating Division, I believe) livery, as the loco carried not long after it was built (1917) when it was sent to work in France during WW1.

Having seen it yesterday, I can say that while interesting, it doesn't really match up to the gorgeous GWR green livery as worn by most of the other locomotives on display! :)

It's War Department (or, as it says on the tender 'ROD' - Railway Operating Division, I believe) livery, as the loco carried not long after it was built (1917) when it was sent to work in France during WW1.

Having seen it yesterday, I can say that while interesting, it doesn't really match up to the gorgeous GWR green livery as worn by most of the other locomotives on display! :)

Yes, whilst its nice to see it for a change, I hope they paint it back to BR Green or GWR Brunswick before it leaves it ticket. There exists a photograph (albeit in Black and White) of the same locomotives near Chedworth on the MSWJR in the late 50s, and lined green suited it much better!

Incidentally, its it just me, or is it actually louder than Earl Bathurst? At the show in February they opened it on the demonstration line, and the noise it made was something terrific. Lovely machine.

Daimler

Established Member
Yes, whilst its nice to see it for a change, I hope they paint it back to BR Green or GWR Brunswick before it leaves it ticket. There exists a photograph (albeit in Black and White) of the same locomotives near Chedworth on the MSWJR in the late 50s, and lined green suited it much better!

Incidentally, its it just me, or is it actually louder than Earl Bathurst? At the show in February they opened it on the demonstration line, and the noise it made was something terrific. Lovely machine.

You should have heard Lydham Manor on Saturday (or you might have done?) - it was volcanic!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Agreed, that Manor was extremely awesome. Favourite steam loco class because of 7802 and 7827 showed just how awesome to my good friend (who'd never had a Manor before) just how brilliant they are.

Agreed also that the Mogul looks odd, especially when surrounded by GWR colours on everything else.

You should have heard Lydham Manor on Saturday (or you might have done?) - it was volcanic!

No, I regret ive yet to see a Manor run (well, maybe one at Minehead when I was about 10), I think thats on my 'next to see' list. Well that and 2807 and Edward II in steam. :)

I wonder what the Manors sounded like before they redraughted them postwar?

Status
Not open for further replies.