• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

66 at Shenfield

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheEdge

Established Member
There is a FL 66 (66504 I think) which seems to have become a rotting companion with the Shenfield brake van. Pretty sure that it has been there for months.

Does anyone know anything about it?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

rebmcr

Established Member
If a freight sits down during the Crossrail works it would cause havoc on the whole GEML. Therefore the 66 is kept ready, in just the right place, to pull any problem out of the way as quickly as possible.

Last edited:

scott118

..it will be there, or it's replacement, until at least Easter dude..That's when the up/down electric/crossrail roads are due to be 'completed'.

TheEdge

Established Member
Oh fair enough. That seems too close to common sense and pre-planning for the UK rail network

LAX54

Established Member
Of course the Shenfield Thunderbird is not new, back in the late 90's and into the 00's there used to be an Anglia based Tbird, which varied locations between Shenfield and Colchester, could be either a 47 or a 90, but has nor run for months, although its still a booked WTT move to Colchester M-F
and of course do we recall the Class 50 and 55 Tbirds from 'Anglia' days ?

Established Member
It's not exactly rotting, it's left running with the lights on quite often. Is that expected given its actual role?

That's to keep the driver warm ;)

..it will be there, or it's replacement, until at least Easter dude..That's when the up/down electric/crossrail roads are due to be 'completed'.

Mayday Bank Holiday weekend is the commissioning date for the new layout at Shenfield.

Last edited:

EssexGonzo

That's to keep the driver warm ;)

Mayday Bank Holiday weekend is the commissioning date for the new layout at Shenfield.

And his feet do indeed look warm when perched on the console!

I have to say, whilst I know they're not built for smoothness, a 66 on tickover sounds like several hundred spanners being tumble dried. And I'm surprised the Hutton Mount crowd haven't complained about the fumes yet.......

dk1

Veteran Member
And his feet do indeed look warm when perched on the console!

I have to say, whilst I know they're not built for smoothness, a 66 on tickover sounds like several hundred spanners being tumble dried. And I'm surprised the Hutton Mount crowd haven't complained about the fumes yet.......

They've also got other 66s ticking over on various engineering trains in the area too :lol:

EssexGonzo

They've also got other 66s ticking over on various engineering trains in the area too :lol:

Indeed. I walked over the Spurgate footbridge over the cutting on Sunday afternoon during the line closure and the fumes in the air were, well, intoxicating to say the least!:lol: Couldn't say whether it was a 66 but I'm sure I heard the spanners in a drier noise from somewhere.....

Status
Not open for further replies.