• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

68025 and Nova at Glasgow Central yesterday

Status
Not open for further replies.

stantheman

On Moderation
Left early afternoon fur Warrington
Why ... please tell me it’s crew training instead of 397s but I have my doubts

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CAF397

Rail Operations Group driver training. they have a contract to ferry the 68/Mk 5 sets around between Crewe/Warrington/Longsight/Gascoigne Wood/Scarborough.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
please tell me it’s crew training instead of 397s but I have my doubts
Silly thing to wish for if you ask me. Why would you want noisy diesel locomotives pushing carriages with an almost identical interior to the current fleet, replacing 100% electric trains on a 100% electrified route?

Silly thing to wish for if you ask me. Why would you want noisy diesel locomotives pushing carriages with an almost identical interior to the current fleet, replacing 100% electric trains on a 100% electrified route?
If you swapped the 68 for an 88 though….

XAM2175

Established Member
Why ... please tell me it’s crew training instead of 397s but I have my doubts
The 397s were procured especially for the WCML services and are of no other use to TPE until the wires meet up between Manchester and Leeds. Meanwhile the 88s are limited to 100 mph and are all being put to good use as it is. I can't tell you why you saw a Mk 5a set in Glasgow yesterday but I'm fairly confident in saying it wasn't a prelude to entering service.

driver9000

Established Member

Not enough 88s exist for DRS to lease out and none are modified to work with the mk5a sets. There are no plans to operate mk5a sets in passenger service on the Anglo-Scottish duties, I believe yesterday's move was a test trip allowing a good long run at high speeds.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
I did not realise it was limited to 100mph. I also did not realise there were no loco-hauled romantics on here…
Knocking off a perfectly good electric multiple unit from the route it was designed for to replace with a locomotive just to make locomotive enthusiasts happy would be a pointless move and ridiculous waste of money, it’s got nothing to do with whether or not I’m a “loco-hauled romantic!” :lol:

Strathclyder

Established Member
Anyway, if we can move on from the dead horse debate that is 'EMUs vs. loco-hauled sets' before it resurrects yet again... If it's a debate that really must be had again, a new thread would be far more appropriate that dragging this one down that particular rabbit hole.

This isn't the first time a TPE 68 has been seen north of the border in Glasgow, as one (030 Black Douglas) was used for light engine on driver/route training for 3 days in late January 2019 between Glasgow Central and Carlisle (Attached image is my own).

external-preview_redd_it-vhcnUP7V8lHIpFr_jkoMHZkIsv7XoSvJEyyxizTTNjg.jpg

(68030 Black Douglas speeds south through Motherwell headed for Carlisle - 29th January 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.