• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

7 Day London travelcard question

Express380

Hi everyone I have bought 2, 7 day travelcards for 23rd march to 29th march for zone 1-9 + Watford and what I have received todat is 2 oyster cards upon some research it shows me that, that is how they are now delivered but it also says the travelcard must be loaded onto the oyster card.

To cut this short my question is how do I know it's loaded on there as the oyster is not showing as having any money on there when looking at the app and I don't want to be caught at the barriers looking like I'm fare dodging! Thanks in advance for any help

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dent

Hi everyone I have bought 2, 7 day travelcards for 23rd march to 29th march for zone 1-9 + Watford and what I have received todat is 2 oyster cards upon some research it shows me that, that is how they are now delivered but it also says the travelcard must be loaded onto the oyster card.

To cut this short my question is how do I know it's loaded on there as the oyster is not showing as having any money on there when looking at the app and I don't want to be caught at the barriers looking like I'm fare dodging! Thanks in advance for any help
You should be able to check on any ticket machine with an Oyster reader.

Express380

You should be able to check on any ticket machine with an Oyster reader.
Thank you I hope it's on there being I paid £124 per travel card so if nothing is loaded on I'm not sure what I paid for!

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
If you’ve only ordered travelcards, (which appear valid for almost the whole zonal area anyway), there’ll be no separate “cash balance” on the Oyster Cards - unless you made a separate transaction to add it yourself for PAYG purposes.

Is it possible the travelcards ordered don‘t show up on the card until the date they start, when you first pass through a ticket gate? I’m sure someone will know exactly what the normal sequence of events is.

Paging @MikeWh

Last edited:

Express380

If you bought them from TfL you should get an confirmation email when the travel cards are collected.
I bought it from Oyster online I've found out that when I log into my Oyster account online (instead of the app) it shows up as the travelcard as purchaced but I just worry everytime I do a journey do I need to tap in and tap out or not and if I show that card on services to Watford how are they going to know I'm on a travelcard do I need the reciept I apologise for the questions but this is very new to me :D

Deerfold

Veteran Member
I bought it from Oyster online I've found out that when I log into my Oyster account online (instead of the app) it shows up as the travelcard as purchaced but I just worry everytime I do a journey do I need to tap in and tap out or not and if I show that card on services to Watford how are they going to know I'm on a travelcard do I need the reciept I apologise for the questions but this is very new to me :D

You can tap in and out normally at Watford. Staff on trains will be used to seeing Oystercards. They may or may not have equipment to read them but that's not something for you to worry about.

Do note that most Avanti West Coast trains have stopping restriction and you can't catch them between London Euston and Watford. They will not show on the displays at Watford Junction and will not show Watford Junction on the screens at London Euston.

Express380

You can tap in and out normally at Watford. Staff on trains will be used to seeing Oystercards. They may or may not have equipment to read them but that's not something for you to worry about.

Do note that most Avanti West Coast trains have stopping restriction and you can't catch them between London Euston and Watford. They will not show on the displays at Watford Junction and will not show Watford Junction on the screens at London Euston.
Thank you very much incredibly helpful information such a relief to hear