• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

86621 running a little hot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ChrisCooper

Established Member
Seems to be coming from low down, and since they are being dragged they would not be under power. Most likely therefore it's a dragging brake, perhaps a parking brake left on.

I saw this reported on WNXX earlier http://www.wnxx.com/news/index.htm and wondered if anyone had caught any video or photos of it?

From WNXX...

86621 (DFNC) caught fire yesterday in the Dagenham area whilst part of a three locomotive lash up at the head of the 4L81 working with 86613 and 66591. Following attention from the fire brigade 86621 has been dumped in Dagenham Dock Down Yard to await developments.

ushawk

Established Member
Saw that there was a fire on a freight train between Dagenham and Rainham on the NRE yesterday.

Thanks for the vid and pics.

ChrisCooper

Established Member
Wonder what caused that? Seems a little more than the dragging brake I predicted. Batteries? Being under tow it should have been totally shut down, so no chance of any electrical fires. Damage to the body looks superficial, just the paint burned off.

Established Member
Wonder what caused that? Seems a little more than the dragging brake I predicted. Batteries? Being under tow it should have been totally shut down, so no chance of any electrical fires. Damage to the body looks superficial, just the paint burned off.

I'm no engineer, but whatever it was sloshed a lot of oil around the bogie/lower bodyside which has caught light, it left a massive oil trail on the trackbed behind it apparently, which led to a further delay getting the line reopened. The final caution was lifted at gone 1800, when the fire occurred before 0600, so it was no small issue operationally.

Transformer obliterated, brakes siezed on. Another for the scrapline at LNWR (if they can get it back there!)

Royston Vasey

Established Member

captainbigun

Transformer obliterated, brakes siezed on. Another for the scrapline at LNWR (if they can get it back there!)

Unlikely to be moved by rail, so no way to get back to LNWR. She's finished, unlikley to give up any spares.

Exact cause is known....

Status
Not open for further replies.