• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A bit of common sense and understanding might have been nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parham Wood

Surely Scotrail should have provided transport from Central to Queen Street, they are not the same station or location. Not everyone would have been able to walk or know the way, although there is the argument that there was still a later train from Central.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
Surely Scotrail should have provided transport from Central to Queen Street, they are not the same station or location. Not everyone would have been able to walk or know the way, although there is the argument that there was still a later train from Central.
There’s a free bus anyway for anyone who holds a valid rail ticket.

johnr57

Could I enquire why you didn't travel on the 2245 ex GLQ which reached Waverley at 2346? I ask, not to pick holes (as you obviously missed the last bus), but because you need to make it clear why you were further delayed.
Ah I see some confusion here

The scheduled arrival for the Avanti service at Edinburgh was 2221 , but was redirected to Central and arrived at 2212 (and a bit by my watch)
I did indeed get the 2245 which was itself delayed but not significantly, frankly I had past caring by this time

There’s a free bus anyway for anyone who holds a valid rail ticket.
But is quicker to walk

Ah I see some confusion here

The scheduled arrival for the Avanti service at Edinburgh was 2221 , but was redirected to Central and arrived at 2212 (and a bit by my watch)
I did indeed get the 2245 which was itself delayed but not significantly, frankly I had past caring by this time

But is quicker to walk

Plus a curious observation.

RTT says the arrival of the Avanti service was 2206 , the departure of the service to Edinburgh was 2214. I was in coach H , the only passenger there, last but one coach farthest from the gate line. 8 minutes would have been easily enough to walk that distance but although I was off the train and walking as soon as it stopped and I could open the door I failed to get to the correct platform in time. I am doubting the accuracy of that arrival time …… I do recall looking up at the information board as I walked down the platform and noticed it said 2212

Last edited:

realemil

Veteran Member
Thanks for clarifying
RTT says the arrival of the Avanti service was 2206.
Your memory/watch is not at fault.
2206 was the booked direct service from Euston via the Trent Valley route (it has a 1S headcode, the Birminghams are 9S)..
Your train doesn't show up at GLC because the data feed RTT uses doesn't report services at places where they are not booked to pass/stop - so from Carstairs onwards the train shows as "no report" towards Edinburgh but no entries are made for the actual route. It's one of the deficiencies in the setup.

johnr57

Thanks for clarifying

Your memory/watch is not at fault.
2206 was the booked direct service from Euston via the Trent Valley route (it has a 1S headcode, the Birminghams are 9S)..
Your train doesn't show up at GLC because the data feed RTT uses doesn't report services at places where they are not booked to pass/stop - so from Carstairs onwards the train shows as "no report" towards Edinburgh but no entries are made for the actual route. It's one of the deficiencies in the setup.
Thank you for that !

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
The 2214 Glasgow Central to Edinburgh service forms the 2346 Edinburgh to Millerhill Emu Yard ECS service looking at RTT, so even if it was held for 5 minutes it didn't have another passenger service to run.

Correct. Previously it formed the 23:33 Dunblane - the train I got home this evening. Even the conductor who worked it thought the set had come from Glasgow Central due to its reputation for arriving late. I'm glad it's been changed. Ta.

Falcon1200

Established Member
It is also quicker to walk from Queen St to Central, as it goes from Queen St to Buchanan Bus Station down to Central, but when going from Central to Queen St, it might be marginally faster, depending on walking pace and luggage.

It is possible to go from Central to Queen St by rail, using a Low Level train with a cross-platform change at Hyndland, although certainly not quick! And it means passing through barriers to enter Central Low Level, which might have ticket validity issues. But the whole issue the OP experienced is a perfect example of the non-joined up and customer-unfriendly railway which must be addressed.

johnr57

Hello again,

Avanti refunded the Rugby - Edinburgh advance single in full through their automated Delay Repay system. The Automated system would not accept the Glasgow - Edinburgh claim so used their Customer communication facility. Got an email this morning reporting they are sending a cheque to cover the Scotrail Ticket and my Taxi Fare.
Well done Avanti and it was a very simple process too.

Thank you all for your interest and valuable contributions.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.