• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A bizarre fare

Status
Not open for further replies.

S&CLER

I've just checked fares from Southport to Todmorden on brfares.com and was amused to note that a carnet fare of £9,998,00 is quoted for a carnet valid for any 8 days in 28, set by TPE. It is subject to a note saying "for test use". Can anyone throw a bit of light on this?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CyrusWuff

Established Member
That'll be the new "Flexi-Season" ticket which goes on sale (presumably with a more sensible price) on Monday.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I've just checked fares from Southport to Todmorden on brfares.com and was amused to note that a carnet fare of £9,998,00 is quoted for a carnet valid for any 8 days in 28, set by TPE. It is subject to a note saying "for test use". Can anyone throw a bit of light on this?
Just to add to @CyrusWuff the price, I believe, will be to ensure that it isn't sold until it's supposed to be. If you poke around it's not usually that hard to find fares "retailing" at similar extremely high prices.

Haywain

Veteran Member
As is often mentioned, BRFares.com simply shows what is in the fares feed and does not reflect what can actually be purchased.
It'll be a valuable collector's item one day. Think I'll buy one! 8-)
I don't think you will.

ess

Which payment methods would be accepted for a fare of this size?

infobleep

Veteran Member
I'm surprises they don't have a test system to use. Is there too many interlinking systems to make this possible?

Haywain

Veteran Member
I'm surprises they don't have a test system to use. Is there too many interlinking systems to make this possible?
There are test systems but not every TOC will have access to them, so an element of testing does have to be done in live systems. For example, confirming that the product is set up correctly in advance of being launched to great fanfare.

paul1609

Established Member
London Victorias TVMs used to have an option to buy a London Terminals to York GC only Off Peak Return for £999. I never had the balls to go further to see if it was possible to complete the transaction!

infobleep

Veteran Member
There are test systems but not every TOC will have access to them, so an element of testing does have to be done in live systems. For example, confirming that the product is set up correctly in advance of being launched to great fanfare.
Interesting. Why doesn't every TOC have access? Is it on a road map somewhere?

I guess if they can't be found on National Rail Enquiries or other ticket booking Web Sites it doesn't matter.

Wallsendmag

Established Member
Interesting. Why doesn't every TOC have access? Is it on a road map somewhere?

I guess if they can't be found on National Rail Enquiries or other ticket booking Web Sites it doesn't matter.
Each TOC will have its own test system, these are simply place holders so that the price isn’t known before launch day.

ess

Hah. I can just imagine the guard halfway through a £10k cash transaction having to go and release the doors then coming back to continue counting used £20s

TUC

Established Member
I found the other day that there are a whole set of similarly bizarre £9998 fares listed for multiple Calder Valley services.

I get that it's a dummy fare for test purposes, but why is £9998 in particular usrd for it?

175mph

On Moderation
Hah. I can just imagine the guard halfway through a £10k cash transaction having to go and release the doors then coming back to continue counting used £20s
Or the guard even rejecting cash for that amount giving a reason such as 'not safe to have that amount of money all at once on the train'.

Haywain

Veteran Member
Or the guard even rejecting cash for that amount giving a reason such as 'not safe to have that amount of money all at once on the train'.
A guard being offered that sort of amount of cash on a train woould be well advised to treat it with a very high level of suspicion.

HBP

As is often mentioned, BRFares.com simply shows what is in the fares feed and does not reflect what can actually be purchased.

I’m going no further in the GWR app.

Attachments

• 9D4D3D2F-74F6-439A-9095-637EBDC8A299.png
    9D4D3D2F-74F6-439A-9095-637EBDC8A299.png
    207.4 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:

alistairlees

Established Member
For example, an annual season from Newcastle to London Kings Cross is £38,556 (1st class).

Lancaster to London Terminsls is £32,792 (1st class). o_O
Berwick upon Tweed to London Zones 1-6 1st Class is the most expensive I can remember.

Status
Not open for further replies.