• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Narom

An

Any idea what sort of money I'd be on while training then please?

Grade below whatever you're applying for. So if grade 7 you'll get grade 6 till you pass out. A couple of grand over the course of the year .

GingerRH

An

Training basic is £2963 per 4 weeks, plus any area allowance you may receive.

Any night turns you do will also have an extra allowance of £16.94 per night shift worked. Any Sundays worked during training will be 8 hours and paid £254 per shift.

This is all pre deductions.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
An

The first 4 months until the end of school would be bare bones grsde 6 (if a grade 7) that would be circa £2900. But you’d get 6hrs Sunday pay circa £180 travelling upto school each week.

You’d only get your full grade 7 pay once you pass out competent on a panel, which would be depending on location a number of months after school.

Personally it took me four months after school to pass out on my full grade 7 salary.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
My batch of four weren’t allowed to work Sunday or nights until we were almost at the point of passing out, so got bare grsde 6 until then.

Danc87

Also what are the shift patterns like I know while training Mon to Friday! But I heard 4 on 4off 4 on 8 off not sure how true! And is the yearly bonus any good the one where I work now is shocking

GingerRH

My batch of four weren’t allowed to work Sunday or nights until we were almost at the point of passing out, so got bare grsde 6 until then.

May depend on location however I’m under the impression you’re entitled to work one of every shift you will work whilst training, which includes Sundays :)

Also what are the shift patterns like I know while training Mon to Friday! But I heard 4 on 4off 4 on 8 off not sure how true! And is the yearly bonus any good the one where I work now is shocking

Again, depends on location. Some places will be a Monday - Friday roster of 9-5, others may be a Monday - Friday working a Rotation such as week of earlys, lates, earlys, lates, nights.

Yearly bonus depends on route performance, so hard to tell. The annual pay rise is based on RPI, however, DfT have asked the RMT to consider changing to accept CPI which is of lesser value.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
We had a produce our own training roster so we managed to get 12hr turns during our training which was much better.

I think last year my route got £800 bonus or there abouts, I really can’t see CPI being pushed through for our pay deals without a fight.

GingerRH

We had a produce our own training roster so we managed to get 12hr turns during our training which was much better.

I think last year my route got £800 bonus or there abouts, I really can’t see CPI being pushed through for our pay deals without a fight.

I can’t see why anyone would happily accept a lower bonus when offered? However, if they messed with terms and conditions then it would be different I guess?

nom de guerre

Upminster gets Outer London allowance I think (£1800 p/a) - but don't quote me on that...

Outer London allowance is indeed £1800.

Can’t speak for everyone, but we also receive LAOS 2 - the catchily-titled ‘Outer London Operational Supplement’ (£630) - so £2430/pa in all.

Danc87, the London/SE allowances are based on how many miles the box is from Charing Cross:

0-16 = Inner London
16-42 = Outer London
42+ = SE (Not sure what the outer boundaries are.)

Cavan

Do most boxes in Scotland work 12hrs with the midday and and midnight change overs?

Is greenloaning signal box now back open 24hrs on a permanent basis? (Two jobs advertised today)

Highlandspring

Established Member
Do most boxes in Scotland work 12hrs with the midday and and midnight change overs?[/quote]
There are still a good few boxes on 8 hour rosters but 12 hour rosters in Scotland officially run 1200-0000 and 0000-1200 as you say, though most places have domestic changeover times to suit the majority and these vary from box to box.

Is greenloaning signal box now back open 24hrs on a permanent basis? (Two jobs advertised today)
Not quite yet but it will require to be open for upcoming timetable changes; I expect it’ll still switch out at night and on Sundays though. The Greenloaning jobs are also advertised internally.

Trackboy

Can someone please advise me about dorking signal box. I know swr and southern operstes on their but apart from that can someone please tell me how much of area is covered by dorking.

Thanks.

Sunset route

Established Member
Can someone please advise me about dorking signal box. I know swr and southern operstes on their but apart from that can someone please tell me how much of area is covered by dorking.
Thanks.

From Boxhill & Westhumble to the north fringing with Wimbledon ASC to Betchworth Tunnel to the south fringing with Three Bridges ASC.

nom de guerre

Everyone who works Dorking likes it. One bloke has been there for 30 years. It's the reliefs' favourite, too.

A lovely 1930s SR Odeon box, kept in great nick internally, with around 25 levers still in use.

Trackboy

None at all, just the odd occasional engineers train and the seasonal trains/(MPVs) on weed killing, traction gel/water jetting and de-icing runs.

Thank you thats great info.

Everyone who works Dorking likes it. One bloke has been there for 30 years. It's the reliefs' favourite, too.

A lovely 1930s SR Odeon box, kept in great nick internally, with around 25 levers still in use.

Thats good to know I am actually going for relief post. Do you know how the shift works?

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Shift pattern, what’s a relief mans shift pattern lol

My roster is that you know your RDs, and when your booked to work, but what you’ll be working and where is like a Xmas surprise.

You’ll know for the next week on a Thursday (or whichever day your local agreements say) what you’ll be doing the next week.

You do get a premium for the above though ranging from 4% on basic for a ROC to up to 32% for more traditional locations covering multiple are far flung SB.

There was a Salisbury Relief job Grade 7 with a 32% Relief premium on the internal list earlier this year, I’m sure that would rhe highest basic salary signaller post in the UK!

nom de guerre

Thats good to know I am actually going for relief post. Do you know how the shift works?

Good luck. Have you been offered an interview? Are you internal or external?

The roster works exactly as Tom describes - you'll know in advance which days you're off, but won't know which shift, or box, you'll be covering next week until the roster is published each Thursday.

Danc87

Training basic is £2963 per 4 weeks, plus any area allowance you may receive.

Any night turns you do will also have an extra allowance of £16.94 per night shift worked. Any Sundays worked during training will be 8 hours and paid £254 per shift.

This is all pre deductions.
Just reread that will be before tax obviously lol I was thinking take home rofl

GingerRH

Just reread that will be before tax obviously lol I was thinking take home rofl

Yes that’s before deductions.

It roughly works out that at a grade 5 and above, with rostered Sundays and nights (no overtime), any overtime you do will be at 40% tax. Roughly I say.

Trackboy

Good luck. Have you been offered an interview? Are you internal or external?

The roster works exactly as Tom describes - you'll know in advance which days you're off, but won't know which shift, or box, you'll be covering next week until the roster is published each Thursday.

I am an external candidate this post was advertised i believe about 3 weeks back.

It was advertised recently on network rail website.

nom de guerre

Good luck. It’s a nice gig - G6 + 18%, but only one of the boxes covered (Oxted) is G6. The main downside is the travel time spent on the M23/M25 corridor.

RAFsch

Hey Guys! I've got the following status in my account -

Application under consideration for assessment 2 01-Nov-2018 14:16:33
Application Under Consideration 01-Nov-2018 14:26:20

I would really appreciate it if you could let me know what this means? What could be next for me.

Regards.