• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Narom

Yes mate, Eccles Relief I got. Just finished rostering yesterday and start school on 28th January at Basingstoke.

I'll assume Eccles as in Manchester? Is it normal for someone to be sent to a signalling school so far away from the box? I'd have thought York or Coventry would have been more likely locations?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SignallerJohn

I'll assume Eccles as in Manchester? Is it normal for someone to be sent to a signalling school so far away from the box? I'd have thought York or Coventry would have been more likely locations?
Wherever there is a

Last edited:

galaxynew

Yes mate, Eccles Relief I got. Just finished rostering yesterday and start school on 28th January at Basingstoke.

Hope the course goes well, presuming you were an internal application were you, not seen Eccles on the external list?

Think one of the last things I did was move you to your new location!

Good Luck mate, been a pleasure rostering you.

Hope the course goes well, Basingstoke is a fair journey isn't it. Presuming you were an internal application were you, not seen Eccles on the external list?

Tom Quinne

On Moderation

Like others have said it’s where space on a appropriate course is available.
I was London area based but got sent to York, at York there was a class from North Scotland !

Many people have said that the larger ROCs could conduct their own training courses but resistance from the two official schools rules it out, but I enjoyed York to be honest probably the best ROC to be based at with its full dining facilities during the day for Signallers and trainees alike unlike other ROCs where it’s all DIY.

TheScolly

As other posters have stated, it’s all dependant on location and availability. I couldn’t get released earlier to attend York so Basingstoke was the next available slot.

Hope the course goes well, Basingstoke is a fair journey isn't it. Presuming you were an internal application were you, not seen Eccles on the external list?

Cheers, looking forward to it obviously I’d of preferred York but either way it 12 weeks then the rest of my life!

Yes I was a Roster Clerk so internal application, I initially received the apprentice role but applied for the Eccles Relief and got that job.

galaxynew

As other posters have stated, it’s all dependant on location and availability. I couldn’t get released earlier to attend York so Basingstoke was the next available slot.

Cheers, looking forward to it obviously I’d of preferred York but either way it 12 weeks then the rest of my life!

Yes I was a Roster Clerk so internal application, I initially received the apprentice role but applied for the Eccles Relief and got that job.
Just wondering what boxes the Eccles Relief covers? I passed the online tests for Deansgate Jn but heard nothing since so not sure what is happening to those (2 jobs listed external), would that be a box you would be covering do you know

TheScolly

Just wondering what boxes the Eccles Relief covers? I passed the online tests for Deansgate Jn but heard nothing since so not sure what is happening to those (2 jobs listed external), would that be a box you would be covering do you know

No Deansgate is not within my locations. I did roster the Deansgate area too! Was it the apprentice scheme you applied for? Good luck though, the LOM is a top bloke!

galaxynew

No Deansgate is not within my locations. I did roster the Deansgate area too! Was it the apprentice scheme you applied for? Good luck though, the LOM is a top bloke!
There were 2 posts listed externally, both 18 month secondments but it was back in October so not sure what is happening to them, did email HR but they just told me in the hands of the recruiting manager (presume LOM) to progress further to interviews

TheScolly

There were 2 posts listed externally, both 18 month secondments but it was back in October so not sure what is happening to them, did email HR but they just told me in the hands of the recruiting manager (presume LOM) to progress further to interviews

Yeah, that’s the same vacancy I initially applied for but ending up getting the ‘Manchester North’ 18 month secondment before applying for a fixed location and getting that post.

Basically I think a few areas had 2x 18 month secondments as an apprentice scheme:

Deansgate
Manchester North
Guide Bridge
To name a few...

I applied for Deansgate and Manchester North (Man North bring my preferred location due to travel). I got the Man North job and cancelled Deansgate so I’m assuming it’s still ongoing as this was back in June/July!

Edit: In fact I can tell you it still hasn’t been filled because I rostered that area.

galaxynew

will sit tight and see if hear anything over the next couple of weeks, i did read somewhere that Deansgate is double "manned", as an ex roster clerk presume you would know this?

Are there any others in the area you think might go external?

Cheers

TheScolly

will sit tight and see if hear anything over the next couple of weeks, i did read somewhere that Deansgate is double "manned", as an ex roster clerk presume you would know this?

Are there any others in the area you think might go external?

Cheers

I think you may be getting confused mate, the job is not for the actual Deansgate Box, it’s an apprentice (grade 3). With Deansgate being a grade 5 you wouldn’t learn this box, you’d learn Mobberley, Plumley, Northenden and possibly Norton. Do me a favour, do you have the paperwork for when you applied for the job? I’ll see if it is definitely the apprentice scheme as I know there are no vacancies at Deansgate Box.

And yes Deansgate is double manned (0600-1800 and 0700-1900 shifts) on Sunday’s it is single manned with meal relief.

galaxynew

I think you may be getting confused mate, the job is not for the actual Deansgate Box, it’s an apprentice (grade 3). With Deansgate being a grade 5 you wouldn’t learn this box, you’d learn Mobberley, Plumley, Northenden and possibly Norton. Do me a favour, do you have the paperwork for when you applied for the job? I’ll see if it is definitely the apprentice scheme as I know there are no vacancies at Deansgate Box.

And yes Deansgate is double manned (0600-1800 and 0700-1900 shifts) on Sunday’s it is single manned with meal relief.
Tried messaging you but tbh never done that on here so not sure if works or not, this was the header for the job

Signaller [grade 3] - Deansgate Junc SB x 2 *18 month fixed term*

headshot119

Established Member

All signalling roles no matter the grade involve a mandatory 12 month apprenticeship scheme for new starters to the grade. You'll find out more about it on the Thursday and Friday before week 1 of signalling school.

It's not uncommon for jobs to some times get advertised as being at the recruiting LOMs location, or for the base of the local relief signallers rather than a specific box.

Jimbob100

Here’s a question for this awesome thread.

From interview day, what is the longest a person has had to wait before getting a decision?

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Here’s a question for this awesome thread.

From interview day, what is the longest a person has had to wait before getting a decision?

It really depends on a number of factors I’m afraid, but like others have said it can be literally months!

The last round at our place (internal only) had to wait 3 months due to several candidates not being released from their rostered turns to attend due to staff shortages !

So if you unlucky enough to be in a mixed pool of internal and external candidates you could well be waiting many months.

Narom

Soo signalling school in early March. I noted others have said in here they joined local gyms in York. Any recommendations? Need a treadmill for tempo work!

Saracen_83

Soo signalling school in early March. I noted others have said in here they joined local gyms in York. Any recommendations? Need a treadmill for tempo work!

We and quite a few others joined Emperors Gym, located in the Middleton hotel.

Not a bad gym, 10mins walk from signalling school and 5 mins from the park inn hotel. Was 30pm.

It not great but York has very few gyms and this was the best we found. Quite a few guys from signalling school went there.

headshot119

Established Member
We and quite a few others joined Emperors Gym, located in the Middleton hotel.

Not a bad gym, 10mins walk from signalling school and 5 mins from the park inn hotel. Was 30pm.

It not great but York has very few gyms and this was the best we found. Quite a few guys from signalling school went there.

They might have finally got the gym open in the Park Inn hotel which would be free! Pigs might fly

choochoobacca

Lots of us currently in the Marriott hotel, which has a small and handy gym......
Not so handy that I've got round to using it yet mind you....
It's also a 25 min walk each way to school, which in itself is a little bit of exercise daily.

Jimbob100

It really depends on a number of factors I’m afraid, but like others have said it can be literally months!

The last round at our place (internal only) had to wait 3 months due to several candidates not being released from their rostered turns to attend due to staff shortages !

So if you unlucky enough to be in a mixed pool of internal and external candidates you could well be waiting many months.

That’s interesting. I shall continue to wait then :)

Narom

Cheers all. Hopefully I'll get a hotel with a gym, I only pay £5 a month for mine so £30 for one will make me cry!

Got to train for a marathon and a double marathon while at signalling school so if anyone is there while I am I apologise for being that annoying runner.

CygnusX1

Well, went in for interview last Thursday and got a call around lunchtime on Friday with job offer! This was my first interview and I am straight off the streets, so anything is possible! I start school late February. Thank you everyone for your advice which I took, to the tee, and nailed the interview. It was an intense interview but I went in prepared and relaxed (mostly). This is how I did it:
Beforehand, I opened a word doc and wrote an excerpt on why I want to be a signaller.
I then wrote down each of the 8 NTS. I then wrote a real work related story for each NTS using the STAR method.
I read and memorised the safety vision and the Lifesaving Rules and jotted down my interpretation of the safety vision.
I continuously reviewed what I wrote and correlated each story to its NTS so that when they asked the question, I was able to regurgitate my story without sounding like a robot.
I went in with a positive attitude and a humble demeanour.
I asked a couple of questions to the interviewers at the end.
I crossed my fingers.
I got the job.
I am looking forward to getting started and again, thank you all for the great advice!

Thistley

Hello, I'm just asking about the Grade 7 Feltham position open right now - where can the relief signal boxes be?

Also, realistically do all Feltham signallers have their own transport, given there are 24-hour TfL buses nearby?

Last edited:

nom de guerre

The Feltham Relief job is ‘in house’, i.e. covering other signallers at Feltham - hence the flexibility premium is only 4%.

As long as you’re punctual and reliable, I don’t think anyone will be bothered which method of transport you use. Several of my colleagues rely on public transport.

Thistley

The Feltham Relief job is ‘in house’, i.e. covering other signallers at Feltham - hence the flexibility premium is only 4%.

As long as you’re punctual and reliable, I don’t think anyone will be bothered which method of transport you use. Several of my colleagues rely on public transport.

Thank you for your help! I'll have a punt at the Feltham ASC role then.

By the way, there's a grade 9 relief signaller based at Three Bridges ROC (18% relief), should I assume it covers a lot of boxes and other signalling centres in the entire area controlled overall by Three Bridges?