• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Static65

I'm really not sure what they are looking for to be honest. I have read in this thread several times that the 70 questions are only used if they need to separate multiple successful candidates and that interview screening is done via test scores and CV, but non of the outcomes make much sense to an outsider.

I beleive I have a reasonable CV, and have tailored it to cover the criteria advertised but have still been rejected for 14 lower grade (1,2 and 3) roles without an interview.

I have however applied for 3 grade 6+ roles and from them secured an interview for a grade 6 post later this week and a grade 7 coming up with identical applications. Being rejected for a few of the low grade posts seems likely, but all 14 when my success rate for the higher grades is so strong is baffling to me.

My advice would be tailer your CV, as that has worked for me at higher grades and keep applying, as a large part of it appears to be a numbers game.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Narom

Obviously you will note what they say but in my opinion that is NOT what a CV is for, a CV summarises your personal details, education and previous employment and is not a platform to give evidence of skills and experience for one particular role.
Maybe i am wrong, interesting to see anyone with a HR background has an opinion on this?

One of my partner's bests friends is head of HR for a large company, it's the main thing she recommends, tailoring your CV for whatever role or company you are applying to.

For one it shows you've read the JD or people spec.

Neo9320

Hi all

Long time reader first time poster...

Have recently started an application with NR for a signaller position (external candidate, no railway experience)

I have seen a lot of people on here worry about the online assessments.....after taking them, I can safely say they are nothing to worry about....I did my assessments this morning at about 10 am and by 4pm had received the email saying I’d achieved the benchmark.

I generally thought I would fail on these (in the words of Ralph Wiggum: me fail English.....that’s unpossible)

Guess what I’m trying to say is don’t give up or be discouraged, if I can pass these things then anyone can!

Neo

Mothball

I've just phoned up for an update on my crossing keeper application, 10 weeks after it closed with no change to the application status, was told that people have been called for interview and I'm likely being held incase none of the people called for interview impress. Does it happen often that the first batch of interviews don't get selected?

Neo9320

I've just phoned up for an update on my crossing keeper application, 10 weeks after it closed with no change to the application status, was told that people have been called for interview and I'm likely being held incase none of the people called for interview impress. Does it happen often that the first batch of interviews don't get selected?

Best of luck!

galaxynew

has anyone tried the NR careers site today, it appears all jobs have disappeared and whether search by title or distance virtually nothing come up?

have just tried searching "signaller" and yesterday there were 2 pages of jobs nationwide, today none at all

unless an issue on my device presuming an issue on their website

Neo9320

has anyone tried the NR careers site today, it appears all jobs have disappeared and whether search by title or distance virtually nothing come up?

have just tried searching "signaller" and yesterday there were 2 pages of jobs nationwide, today none at all

unless an issue on my device presuming an issue on their website

Think they make be having a change in recruitment as there’s only 2 jobs on indeed rather than the usual 250+

Amack92

Hello mate, was that position Leicester based? As I rung up yesterday for a crossing keeper application and I was told the same thing.

Mothball

Hello mate, was that position Leicester based? As I rung up yesterday for a crossing keeper application and I was told the same thing.
No it was Norbury Hollow, Stockport. I'd imagine now people have been selected for interviews the position will get filled but never mind!

Thistley

Think they make be having a change in recruitment as there’s only 2 jobs on indeed rather than the usual 250+

I think it's just a fault, the only two jobs available includea one that expired 4 months ago. Perhaps if it's still not fixed later it might be worth calling recruitment support.

ljmac

Finally I have managed to read the whole thread! Thanks to everyone for all of their input! I will read it again if I get an interview. I've currently got one at under consideration and one at test complete (job still open), there has been some issues with the career page and the only jobs on there expired in October.
However, one of them is a grade 1 signaller, not crossing keeper. I haven't seen or heard of this up to now. Can anyone shed any light on it?

Cheers

f1nch26

Finally I have managed to read the whole thread! Thanks to everyone for all of their input! I will read it again if I get an interview. I've currently got one at under consideration and one at test complete (job still open), there has been some issues with the career page and the only jobs on there expired in October.
However, one of them is a grade 1 signaller, not crossing keeper. I haven't seen or heard of this up to now. Can anyone shed any light on it?

Cheers

Sometimes when the system goes funny it throws up old positions. That position has been filled now.

ljmac

Sometimes when the system goes funny it throws up old positions. That position has been filled now.

I mean more the grade in general. I was under the impression signallers start at grade 2 and crossing keepers, who don't need to go to school are grade 1.

headshot119

Established Member

Cheers

Crossing Keeper is still a signalling grade so is shown as Signaller Grade 1.

Neo9320

I have just received the NR daily update on jobs email, this may be worth subscribing to if you haven’t already :)

Thistley

Hi all, just a heads up that the whole NR job search is currently unavailable. May be worth checking in tomorrow or the day after. If you have the job detail pages open, the submission process seems to be alright.

Quite amusing to see stuff from October appear for a while though!

Edit: the website is back up.

Last edited:

galaxynew

It’s as easy or as difficult as you make it, get in head down, work hard = easy.

Get in, mess about, go sick, cause issues = hard to impossible.

Once you’ve completed your initial six months probation you can apply for posts.

As a crossing keeper you won’t go to signalling school, so you can’t transfer as such. But you’ll have a lot of more evidence for your application than someone who is raw to the job.
Do Crossing Keepers just go straight to their work location then and effectively train on the job, no courses or anything first?

R.Quintero

Morning all, I just have a quick question about overtime. Apologies if it's slightly off topic, I just figured this thread has the highest concentration of signallers so is the best place to get an answer.

Basically how is the pecking order for OT decided upon by rosters? It was my understanding that first refusal goes to a box resident who was working the preceeding shifts. Example being if I did Mon-Wed days, and then the person due to do Thu-Sat days was off, I should get the tap first?

Is this the way of it or, for example, if there's a flexi who is available would they get it first?

Also I don't know if there's an overall policy for this or if it's broken down into local arrangements etc?

If anyone could shed any light on this I'd massively appreciate it. Again, apologies if I've gone off topic and if you feel that's the case feel free to message me privately to avoid clogging up the thread.

Cheers.

headshot119

Established Member
Morning all, I just have a quick question about overtime. Apologies if it's slightly off topic, I just figured this thread has the highest concentration of signallers so is the best place to get an answer.

Basically how is the pecking order for OT decided upon by rosters? It was my understanding that first refusal goes to a box resident who was working the preceeding shifts. Example being if I did Mon-Wed days, and then the person due to do Thu-Sat days was off, I should get the tap first?

Is this the way of it or, for example, if there's a flexi who is available would they get it first?

Also I don't know if there's an overall policy for this or if it's broken down into local arrangements etc?

If anyone could shed any light on this I'd massively appreciate it. Again, apologies if I've gone off topic and if you feel that's the case feel free to message me privately to avoid clogging up the thread.

Cheers.

The best place to start is in the NRP (National Rostering Principles) which explains the art of equalisation in detail. I wouldn't try and say I had a full understanding of it, but a copy can be found on the RMT website, or there's usually a paper copy floating around your box.

R.Quintero

The best place to start is in the NRP (National Rostering Principles) which explains the art of equalisation in detail. I wouldn't try and say I had a full understanding of it, but a copy can be found on the RMT website, or there's usually a paper copy floating around your box.

Ah that's very helpful. Will check it out now. Many thanks!

Sabs5296

Hi everyone, can anyone enlighten me about the signaller role ( traffic management) at three bridges ASC and ROC? What does traffic management mean? And how is it different from regular signalling? And it doesn’t say anywhere that the shortlisted candidates will be going to signalling school, just says “you will be expected to undertake a 2 week residential signalling appreciation course and undertake shadowing of current signaller and controller roles” any Info on this will be greatly appreciated

Cavan

I was just going to ask about the 12 "traffic management" roles at Three Bridges - IRC is 2143310 and looks like it will hit the external list tomrrow as was on today's "Job alert" email (which seems to be working again now)