• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

P200E

Externally Network Rail pay a massive amount of money for the IST Signalling course, hotel accommodation and travelling on top of other things. There’s such a minimal chance they would get rid of you after 12 months. I believe it’s for people who don’t meet expectations at signalling school, and the elusive internal job list becomes available.
Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

P200E

I know of 8 who were taken on under 12 month contracts, all 8 have full time jobs now - all 8 had full time jobs within months of starting employment as they were given a “hint, hint you might want to apply for his job” type nudge...

Show a good attitude to the job, study hard in school don’t mess up and you’ll be here until you retire.
Thanks

OverTheRails

Just for people who may be wondering on wait times, I found posts like this quite reassuring so thought I’d post mine.

Application Under Review 14-Mar-2019 11:36:50
Application Accepted 15-Mar-2019 07:00:37
Application Under Consideration 20-Mar-2019 08:36:07
Invited to Test 20-Mar-2019 09:30:16
Test Completed 22-Mar-2019 09:40:03
Test Completed 25-Mar-2019 10:57:16
Application under consideration for assessment 2 09-Apr-2019 14:18:47

Thistley

Just for people who may be wondering on wait times, I found posts like this quite reassuring so thought I’d post mine.

I've got two positions under consideration for assessment 2 since mid-March - one of them being a FTC till end of this year!

DanH

Ive been waiting 7 weeks today from my “application under consideration for assessment 2” for word about an interview or a refusal.

This is a LONG and excruciating process haha! - I’m sure it will be worth it!

I do have a fair few apps at this stage... one 7 weeks down the line.. one at 4 weeks, another few at 2 and 3... just praying for an interview soon!

Jaysub

Iv been waiting the same since march,what role did u apply for?
Its taking a bit longer then before when i applied...
I think there understaffed

MidlandsChap

Morning

Dont suppose anybody is able to post a rough explaination of the difference in responsibilities/workload between the different grades?

I remember seeing a post about it many months ago but am unable to locate it.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Responsible is equal across all grades mess up and you will kill people.

Grade 1 is usually a single level crossing.
Grade 2 to Grade 9 increase in busyness and workload.

Grade 10 is supervisor grade.

The important thing to remember is that the grade system doesn't necessarily tell you how busy the box will be. I know Grade 1/2 boxes that can be busier than grade 3/4. The grades depend on many factors. Some boxes are simply a higher grade because they have a ground frame of a rarely used goods loop. Since moving from an high grade IECC to a low grade panel I actually found my work load increase, however with the work load increase came a higher job satisfaction!

Highlandspring

Established Member
Also many boxes haven’t been regraded for years, or have been graded unduly low under the system NR use which is aimed squarely at minimising the wage bill rather than fairly evaluating workload.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
If your lucky enough to have a regrade panel actually visit it’ll probably be on a Sunday afternoon then whole panel is closed for a software upgrade !

MidlandsChap

The important thing to remember is that the grade system doesn't necessarily tell you how busy the box will be. I know Grade 1/2 boxes that can be busier than grade 3/4. The grades depend on many factors. Some boxes are simply a higher grade because they have a ground frame of a rarely used goods loop. Since moving from an high grade IECC to a low grade panel I actually found my work load increase, however with the work load increase came a higher job satisfaction!

I agree, I would rather be in a busier box compared with sitting there reading the rule book to pass the time.

What made you move from a higher grade to a lower grade box?

Seejwalker

I agree, I would rather be in a busier box compared with sitting there reading the rule book to pass the time.

Yeah, take the reading part with a pinch of salt.
As for the grading, if you're applying for a job then don't worry about it and take whatever is there, whatever grade it's at.

Highlandspring

Established Member
Incidentally it used to be the case that you couldn’t downgrade yourself (i.e. be appointed to a lower graded job) but luckily that was done away with a few years ago. There are many excellent reasons why you might at some point want to go down the snake rather than up the ladder.

MidlandsChap

Yeah, take the reading part with a pinch of salt.
As for the grading, if you're applying for a job then don't worry about it and take whatever is there, whatever grade it's at.

Looking to do just that buddy.
However I understand that you are committed to the box for 12 months, so waiting for one thats sufficiently local.

Seejwalker

Looking to do just that buddy.
However I understand that you are committed to the box for 12 months, so waiting for one thats sufficiently local.
Yeah that's true but only because its an apprenticeship now thy takes 12 months to continue. In all fairness, its a bit of a dick move joining a box only to leave. That said, take whatever opportunity you can whilst it's there.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Yeah that's true but only because its an apprenticeship now thy takes 12 months to continue. In all fairness, its a bit of a dick move joining a box only to leave. That said, take whatever opportunity you can whilst it's there.

Well no, I’d say it’s nearly the only way to get a foot hold in the grade now.

If I hadn’t of got into the grade at the location I did, served 18 months of sleeping in my car between turns and driving 90 minutes either side I wouldn’t be where I am now in a grade 7 job 25 minutes from home.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
How can you not, I appreciate doing what you have to do, but joining a box with the intention of leaving for another box as soon as you can, is pretty **** on the box you joined.

Some locations simply do not come up externally, if London Victoria is your local box why on earth pass up a lower grade location to get your foot in the grade, then move to Victoria when an internal job comes up which is much more frequent?

My current location and grade will never (once all likelihood) come up externally, where as the location and grade I joined at comes up very regularly.

No one really cares at the location if people stay or go, if they come and go it’s mor RDW for the lads covering the vacancy.

Seejwalker

Some locations simply do not come up externally, if London Victoria is your local box why on earth pass up a lower grade location to get your foot in the grade, then move to Victoria when an internal job comes up which is much more frequent?

My current location and grade will never (once all likelihood) come up externally, where as the location and grade I joined at comes up very regularly.

No one really cares at the location if people stay or go, if they come and go it’s mor RDW for the lads covering the vacancy.
I'm not saying dont do it, infact if you read my posts again I advise him to take any opportunity that presents itself. I'm just saying it's pretty **** on a box, extra overtime or not.

MidlandsChap

I can understand that most higher grades will be filled from the existing signaller pool, but what happens if the manager only has say two applicants, and they dont perform well at interview or the manager doesnt warm to their personalities for example. Would they still generally take one of them on as they are proven in the job, or could they make a judgement call and list externally?

Oh, and how many jobs do there tend to be on the internal list?

Lemonice21

Good afternoon,

Any one heard back from the York grade 6 vacancy? My application still at test complete for weeks.

nom de guerre

How can you not, I appreciate doing what you have to do, but joining a box with the intention of leaving for another box as soon as you can, is pretty **** on the box you joined.

Why?

And even if it is, so what? You can’t base career decisions on which colleagues you might inadvertently annoy/inconvenience while abiding by the company's rules.

When does a so-called "dick move" become legitimate in your eyes? After two years' service? Five years? Ten?!

Seejwalker

Why?

And even if it is, so what? You can’t base career decisions on which colleagues you might inadvertently annoy/inconvenience while abiding by the company's rules.

When does a so-called "dick move" become legitimate in your eyes? After two years' service? Five years? Ten?!

No I'm talking more premature than that, but I can see you're becoming quite upset by the prospect that you might be in that bracket somewhere.

nom de guerre

Not upset - bemused. (If anyone's "upset", you might conclude it's the person who introduced terms like "dick move" and "****" into the discussion. ;))

I thought the 'one year rule' for new starters was now being enforced as part of the apprenticeship T&Cs. What would be more "premature" than this - or am I missing something?