• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Rockhopper

I've been trying to log into the careers portal for a few days now and i keep getting an error

"<PRE>Oracle error : An unexpected system error has been detected in Application code. Please contact System Administrator for assistance. Your session is no longer valid. </PRE>"

Static65

No problem. It's a temperamental site. Sometimes the jobs list doesn't refresh either until browser history is cleared.

Rigchick

Morning all, Newbie here, please be nice to me with my stupid questions

I’ve just sent off my first application for a grade 2 box up here in North Yorkshire and am quite excited at the prospect of a total career change after many years in the RAF. But there’s some info I’m finding really hard to find. What is the pay while under training for a grade 2 box and what are the likely shifts? I just need to figure out if I can afford to live while training!

I know it’s likely to be on here somewhere but with so many pages to go through I’m struggling to find out

Rockhopper

Pay whilst training is one grade less than your grade when signed off.
I know it’s a long thread but you’ll really benefit by reading all of it, in fact I’d say it’s essential and you’ll be way ahead of everyone else when it comes to interview time

Highlandspring

Established Member
What is the pay while under training for a grade 2 box and what are the likely shifts? I just need to figure out if I can afford to live while training!
£25107 (grade 1 rate) until you pass out. Hours/shifts during training are subject to local agreement. Good luck.

Rigchick

Pay whilst training is one grade less than your grade when signed off.
I know it’s a long thread but you’ll really benefit by reading all of it, in fact I’d say it’s essential and you’ll be way ahead of everyone else when it comes to interview time
Thanks. I’ll put aside some hours to work my way through it Thanks for the advice

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Morning all, Newbie here, please be nice to me with my stupid questions

I’ve just sent off my first application for a grade 2 box up here in North Yorkshire and am quite excited at the prospect of a total career change after many years in the RAF. But there’s some info I’m finding really hard to find. What is the pay while under training for a grade 2 box and what are the likely shifts? I just need to figure out if I can afford to live while training!

I know it’s likely to be on here somewhere but with so many pages to go through I’m struggling to find out

As my colleagues have already said training pay is one grade below your substantive grade, from day one to the first day of productive work.

Training is down to local agreement, however I would say you can expect Monday to Friday 0800-1600/0900-1700. Bank holiday Monday or Good Friday you’ll probably be paid off ie, paid to stay at home.

Best of luck !

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Signed off at the box which I believe could take 12 months but in practice may be rather less.

Even with signalling school you’d have to be pretty slow on the uptake to take a year to pass out, even at a large SCC - in this situation you’ll usually sign one panel in order to pass out then learn the remainder.

Highlandspring

Established Member
General Purpose Relief. Covers vacancies, sickness and holidays for a particular link, signalbox or geographic group of signalboxes.

Last edited:

P200E

Ive seen the pay matrix and just wondered what are the actual shift premium for sat and sunday working when saturday goes into sunday etc?

Thanks

Rigchick

So my application is now under consideration and I’ve been invited to test but can’t see anything else about the actual test. Should there be another link to the SJT?

P200E

There is usually some hyperlinks in a table at the bottom of your emailed letter one for each test you have to do

Rigchick

There is usually some hyperlinks in a table at the bottom of your emailed letter one for each test you have to do
Nope nothing either on the emailed letter or on my account page. Worried that I’m losing time on the 5 days

nom de guerre

Ive seen the pay matrix and just wondered what are the actual shift premium for sat and sunday working when saturday goes into sunday etc?

Saturdays = flat rate

Any Sunday hours = x1.5 rate

Monday morning part of a Sunday night shift = x1.25 rate

galaxynew

Saturdays = flat rate

Any Sunday hours = x1.5 rate

Monday morning part of a Sunday night shift = x1.25 rate
So if you do an 1800-0600 Saturday night shift the last 6 hours are x1.5 and same shift starting Sunday is x1.5 for the first 6 hours and then x.1.25 for the last 6 hours...........have i got that right?

Highlandspring

Established Member
Yous that’s right. Any hours worked between 0001 and 2359 on a Sunday are paid at time and a half (1.5x). So if you were Saturday nightshift 2200 - 0600 then you’d be paid Sunday rate from midnight. Sunday nightshift would be two hours at time and a half and six hours at time and a quarter. Nightshift premium is paid for any hours worked between 2200 and 0600 any day of the week. It’s worth noting that all the times mentioned are the same whether you’re on an 8 or 12 hour roster and you’re paid based on the published roster not taking into account any domestic changeover times.

Rigchick

You got a two page PDF?
No just one page

Application Status History
t.gif

Status Change Date
Application Under Review 05-May-2019 14:15:59
Application Accepted 06-May-2019 07:02:40
Application Under Consideration 07-May-2019 13:11:17
Invited to Test 07-May-2019 18:30:13

Application Attachments

IRC2147172_Your_Network_Rail_App_AP.pdf File ATS Auto-Attachment Update

Last edited:

Thistley

No just one page

Application Status History
t.gif

Status Change Date
Application Under Review 05-May-2019 14:15:59
Application Accepted 06-May-2019 07:02:40
Application Under Consideration 07-May-2019 13:11:17
Invited to Test 07-May-2019 18:30:13

Application Attachments

IRC2147172_Your_Network_Rail_App_AP.pdf File ATS Auto-Attachment Update

In your email which invited you to the test, could you open the attachment? It should be a pdf file.

Rigchick

In your email which invited you to the test, could you open the attachment? It should be a pdf file.
Its a single page letter with the following content:

Thank you for your application for the above position. We are pleased to inform you that your application has been received and is under consideration. You will be notified if you have met the required selection criteria for this role and are through to the next stage in the recruitment process. Thank you for your interest in this position and for submitting your application.

No further pages and no links to follow.

Thistley

Its a single page letter with the following content:

Thank you for your application for the above position. We are pleased to inform you that your application has been received and is under consideration. You will be notified if you have met the required selection criteria for this role and are through to the next stage in the recruitment process. Thank you for your interest in this position and for submitting your application.

No further pages and no links to follow.
Check your email throughout today and that letter should arrive, otherwise call recruitment?

Rockhopper

I read that as they are saying your application is still under consideration for the phase two tests. So you did the sixty questions bit?